Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Because in real life, bodies turn cold when you're dead. The cold is also basically the one climate that humans simply can't adapt to on earth. In general, cold is connected to emptiness, inhospitality and death.

i still say Norse Mythology is the reason
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJin View Post
    they don't. you simply did not read enough.
    This. The issue isn't unoriginal writers, but limited reference pool on the OP's side.

Northerners are tough and grim, southerners are sissy boys...

Much of Warcraft's scourge is probably inspired from A Song of Ice & Fire's white walkers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Much of Warcraft's scourge is probably inspired from A Song of Ice & Fire's white walkers.
    you mean the Others

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Northerners are tough and grim, southerners are sissy boys...
    I like this explanation, even if the popularity of norse mythology is probably the reason.

Ehh. The Scourge are a combination of your bog-standard zombie plague trope with a healthy dose of Tolkien (Witch King of Angmar + Sauron), Star Wars (Arthas = Vader) and Arthurian legend (Frostmourne = Sword in the Stone, father-figure named Uther). Not saying it couldn't be, but we don't get a lot of detail on the Others in AGoT, and WC3 was already well under development by the time A Clash of Kings was published in the US.
    Last edited by Lumineus; 2016-08-07 at 01:42 AM.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post

OT: White people live in north. And you can't get whiter than skeleton.
    All those albino Eskimos!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    I thought it was a norse mythology thing
    It is, along with cold - preserve corpses. Other religions around the world have haunting spirits or ghosts as their main thing. With exception of jews who have golems, both divine and man made.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not quite sure, but I think arthas brought along the undead with him to Northrend, but they originated in lordaeron(?). Haven't played WC3 in a while, but I seem to recall arthas fucking up the place good in TFT, submitting both the nerubians to his cause and turning sindragosa into a frost wyrm.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    All those albino Eskimos!
    They are just frost asians. Don't count.

Also, how many times you see them compared to vikings ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Except they often come from the South as well. Conan and Warhammer, anyone?
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Egyptian mummies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, if you think about it, every cardinal direction has an evil characterisation.

The North is associated with death and brutality (Vikings, Inuit, etc), maybe ruthlessness. Evil by the virtue of having no life.

The South is associated with wildness, savagery, and danger - jungles, savannahs, and the deadly animals and natives that inhabit it. Evil due to abundance of life.

The East is spiritual, mystical, deeply emotional: it always comes in hordes (Mongols, Arabs, Turks, the Han) and cannot be understood (the Inscrutable Oriental stereotype). It is evil because it is irrational.

The West is brutal, industrial, imperialist, plagued by greed and values machinery more than humanity. It is evil because it is rational. (ATLA Fire Nation)
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImperios View Post
    Actually, if you think about it, every cardinal direction has an evil characterisation.

The North is associated with death and brutality (Vikings, Inuit, etc), maybe ruthlessness. Evil by the virtue of having no life.

The South is associated with wildness, savagery, and danger - jungles, savannahs, and the deadly animals and natives that inhabit it. Evil due to abundance of life.

The East is spiritual, mystical, deeply emotional: it always comes in hordes (Mongols, Arabs, Turks, the Han) and cannot be understood (the Inscrutable Oriental stereotype). It is evil because it is irrational.

The West is brutal, industrial, imperialist, plagued by greed and values machinery more than humanity. It is evil because it is rational. (ATLA Fire Nation)
    An interesting observation. It is also interesting that all of these tropes were already in use in ancient times (apart from The West, I guess). So we are definitely talking about something deeper than "Blizzard ripped of GRRM" here.