Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Bullshit.

Same reason you have no fourth amendment rights while in prison.

You do however retain other rights that make sense, like protection from cruel and unusual punishment.
    reason not to have an incarcerated person having a gun: they would likely not stay incarcerated while engaging in further unlawful conduct.

reason for an incarcerated person person being barred from voting: they would likely not stay incarcerated while engaging in further unlawful conduct according to you if it's not a false equivalence.

I think this sufficiently shows the absurdity of your argument. If you want to deprive a person of something be able to make a coherent argument for it to be necessary to do so. Go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone that is a citizen should be allowed to vote, otherwise you are simply making the process undemocratic by adding parameters that suit you.

Might as wel start excluding other demographics that don't suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by morreant View Post
    reason not to have an incarcerated person having a gun: they would likely not stay incarcerated while engaging in further unlawful conduct.

reason for an incarcerated person person being barred from voting: they would likely not stay incarcerated while engaging in further unlawful conduct according to you if it's not a false equivalence.

I think this sufficiently shows the absurdity of your argument. If you want to deprive a person of something be able to make a coherent argument for it to be necessary to do so. Go.
    I did give reasons why voting suppression makes sense while a ward of the state, but let me guess, you read the one post and didn't bother going any further? haha

I did give reasons why voting suppression makes sense while a ward of the state, but let me guess, you read the one post and didn't bother going any further? haha
    I read what I get notifications for, the rest I have no time for. If you can't or won't make your argument here, that's ok. So again, what is the detriment to the country or incarceration process by letting felons vote?
    Last edited by morreant; 2016-08-07 at 01:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Might as wel start excluding other demographics that don't suit you.
    What's this "start" business? The USA has been doing that since the beginning.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The moment your sentence runs out, you have full rights.
    Why the hell it should be different? Punishemt is as big as the judge made it be. You have zero rights to continue it afterwards.
    Do you want rehabilitation or not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    What's this "start" business? The USA has been doing that since the beginning.
    As in if you exclude one group you might as well use that as basis to exclude others. Wasn't there this whole thing about the Republican party trying to make things harder for some to vote?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Wasn't there this whole thing about the Republican party trying to make things harder for some to vote?
    Mhmm. Implementing mandatory voter ID schemes with irrational and unsupportable restrictions on what constitutes valid ID and then making it more difficult (e.g. closing DMV offices or restricting their hours) to obtain said valid forms of ID.

Also cutting back advance voting locations and times, etc.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Generally you want less people to be able to vote, not more. Should also exclude longtime dependants, certain sick people (advanced alzheimer for instance), people who didn't get drafted/sign up for selective service, possibly also public workers and people above a certain age.

Felons shouln't be able to vote either. However, certain crimes with questionable victim-status should probably not be felonies, such as selling drugs or thoughtcrime.

Yes.
    There should be nothing that takes the right vote away from someone in a democracy. Even mental incapacity is problematic in that regard.*
    Otherwise you give the majority a potential tool to silence the rest (by designing laws that take the right to vote away from them) and that is never a good idea.
    If the number of votes of ex-felons is that significant that it makes a real difference, then apprently there is either something wrong with the laws or the society already and it should concentrate on solving that issue before declaring the votes of some subset of their people one.

No votes for kids is a problem too, but that one is kind of a stalemate with the problem one would invite by giving them a vote since those would effectively be cast by their parents or guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    No votes for kids is a problem too, but that one is kind of a stalemate with the problem one would invite by giving them a vote since those would effectively be cast by their parents or guardians.
    And you have inadvertently pointed out the problem with anyone who is a ward of the state; mental facility, prison, etc etc.

The idea is the same in concept.

While they are not children (in most cases), you have an authority figure who directly controls their day to day activity and life.

Influencing their vote could be done in any number of untrackable methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Honestly, not sure why ex-felons aren't allowed to vote. But I never cared enough to look up why it was first implemented.
    Ex-felons are allowed to vote, and I am not sure why people in this thread think otherwise. Laws vary from state to state, but ex-felons are allowed to vote once they meet the guidelines established by their states. Two states (Maine and Vermont) even allow one to vote while incarcerated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Ex-felons are allowed to vote, and I am not sure why people in this thread think otherwise. Laws vary from state to state, but ex-felons are allowed to vote once they meet the guidelines established by their states. Two states (Maine and Vermont) even allow one to vote while incarcerated.
    Yeah, they have as much of a right to vote as minorities before the Voter Rights Act.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.r...ourceID=000286

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Wait what? - Your post contradicts itself - The default state is that anyone over 18 gets to vote - Making the felons jump through hoops by definition means that some felons are not allowed to vote, because that is the default state.
    More on topic, yes, I'm against any infringement in suffrage, especially those based on criterion's that are in the hands of the state, and or in the hands of the politicians.
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2016-08-07 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Wait what? - Your post contradicts itself - The default state is that anyone over 18 gets to vote - Making the felons jump through hoops by definition means that some felons are not allowed to vote, because that is the default state.
    More on topic, yes, I'm against any infringement in suffrage, especially those based on criterion's that are in the hands of the state, and or in the hands of the politicians.
    Reading that hard? I said ex-felons.

Voting rights retained while incarcerated for a felony conviction in:

Maine and Vermont.

Voting rights restored automatically upon release from prison in:

The District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Utah.

Voting rights restored automatically once released from prison and discharged from parole (probationers can vote) in:

California, Colorado, Connecticut, and New York.

Voting rights restored automatically upon completion of sentence, including prison, parole, and probation in:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Voting rights restoration is dependent on the type of conviction and/or the outcome of an individual petition or application to the government in:

Alabama, Delaware, Mississippi, Nevada, Tennessee, and Wyoming.

Voting rights can ONLY be restored through an individual petition or application to the government in:

Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, and Virginia.

In most states, once they have paid their debt to society, and are no longer part of the penal system, they can vote. The states that are more hardline, and harder for them to get voting rights, are typically primarily GOP dominant states. Not surprising.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Yeah, they have as much of a right to vote as minorities before the Voter Rights Act.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.r...ourceID=000286
    Did I say anything about felons? No. Ex-felons. Try to keep up.

Well in a nutshell, that is sort of the idea.

Did they pay their debt to society or did they not?

Now I am not oppose to keeping rights suppressed while under parole.

However, once they have served their prison time and their parole has been satisified, why shouldn't we?
    Thats exactly what I am driving at. The same people that argue for an ex felon to have the ability to vote back because they paid their debt would also argue that the perpetrator to domestic violence SHOULD never get their ability to own a firearm back. THAT right there is why this entire argument is a rather odd one to have because it would set the gold standard to what I outlined.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

Being from Canada and looking over at our closest neighbors it astounds me that a Country priding themselves on being "free" is hardly that. Compared to other Countries, the US is not that "free". Also fear mongering is quite the thing there (it seems) but I am not sure, are US citizens generally fearful of everything there? (i dont know, just asking because it seems that way)
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

7+ Year Old Account
    I personally dont think u should vote unless you are vested some how in this country. period. its like allowing people to vote themselves a raise , .. if you pay taxes.. i mean.. pay.. net. maybe u should vote, if u own land.. not rent. u should vote. rest of the folks are not really committed, so.. sorry.. all they tend to do is vote themselves more handouts and free'bes from others that are paying. if a x-felon owns land and pay's taxes. sure i dont care, they paid their time, .. but not until its paid.. probation ... means its not fully paid.

Any restrictions that are applied to them should be apart of their sentence otherwise it's just bullying

Every time a law enforcement discussion starts here, from prisoners' rights to accusations of police misconduct, everyone divides neatly into two camps divided along one line. Basically, we're asking the same question over and over again: do people cease to be counted as people when they're suspected of committing a crime? Do they turn into something other than you, some subhuman that deserves whatever treatment its appointed keepers see fit to give it?

You can tell right off the bat who answers that question in the positive - they chant the same slogans, use the same descriptors for those others, those no-longer-people who get tagged by the cops for dehumanization. It's depressing to see how far people will go to wrap themselves in the security of the notion that it can't happen to them, that those miserable animals deserve what they got because they asked for it.