Poll: Would you want this?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    This would make me play and create content for WoW for a ridiculously long time. I love this idea SO much.

I don't know if it's MMO-Champ cynicism or something, but there are some arguments against this that don't make sense to me:

1) "There's no reward, why would I play it"

Thus one kills me. Our community has RPers, PvPers, Transmogers, all people that don't consistently do what they do for a power related reward. I play wow for the story, people, exploration, and world, and I can't be the only one.

2) "This would take too many resources to create/moderate"

Blizzard's involvement when the project is completed would be minimal. You have a couple people moderating and checking reported levels, ensuring none crash the game or have dicks in them, either after or before the fact. Actually creating the interface would be difficult, but I doubt it would heavily impact normal development, and considering it would be one of the biggest features to ever be added to wow, it's worth it. Not only this, but imagine this scenario:
    Blizzard makes there last exspansion for WoW. People play it for a bit, then the games numbers slowly drop off into nothing. If they had a custom level creator, especially one that they released as possibly a goodbye gift, players would stay much longer after content was being made for the game (Look at W3). This means $15 subs rolling in for even longer too.

So there ya go. I also would like to add some ideas I think would be AMAZING:

1) For one, you could make GUILD HALLS and PLAYER HOUSING for the first time! Imagine Your guild buying an instance, setting it on a custom island of the coast of Quel'Danas, with your own banners flapping in the wind, and servants and fun mini games. I'm literally drooling as I type it.

2) If the system was robust enough, players could recreate old versions of dungeons that the Cataclysm changed. Imagine old sunken temple for max lvl players or old scholomance! They could even make things that weren't dungeons before into one.

3) Hunger Games PvP in WoW. Need I say more?

4) If this were to become a popular feature, I could see some becoming so large that they become there own games. Some with campaigns spanning hours with their own rules and item rewards only usable in that world. Maybe some could be officially sanctioned by Blizzard, and you could get a cosmetic rewards for completing them.

As amazing as this would be, I don't see Blizzard ever considering it for WoW, since a lot of their design philosophies are very resistant of player agency. They don't put a lot of faith in the audience's ability to create an experience they personally enjoy, preferring instead to prescribe set guidelines within which their games are experienced.

You can't put player-created content in a narrative-driven game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Just as Blizzard gave their Warcraft 3 RTS players the "Warcraft III World Editor", so too should Blizzard give their World of Warcraft players a "WoW Instance Editor"!

The Warcraft 3 World Editor essentially allows users to create and customize their own maps using the same technology Blizzard used to create Warcraft III's Campaign maps.

This Editor literally gave rise to the MOBA genre, or what many of you may know as DOTA (Defense of the Ancients) and more popularly, League of Legends.

Warcraft 3's Custom Games (using this very engine) were so immensely popular in its heyday. Thousands of different games sprang up, ranging from Mazes to MOBAs to Tower Defenses, all hosted by its very own players.

With that said,

What if players were given a version of the WoW engine to create their own content, inside their very own instances?

What would it be like?

A set instance that a player can load into, that leads to a 3rd-person user-friendly interface where players can build areas. A cross between Roller Coaster Tycoon and the Sims, as far as how the interface would interact when choosing what to put, and where. A vastly more modern, Blizzard-crafted WoW Custom-engine for its players to build WoW maps with. Smooth interactivity, that's easy to pick up but in depth where needed.

Who knows what new content or game could spawn from the ingenuity and creativity of WoW's very own player-base!

This could drastically extend WoW's life-span while simultaneously giving its players more available content than ever before! Unlimited possibilities for player-created custom games, on top of the normal content Blizzard churns out each patch/expansion!

Any part of the game could be drawn into your ideas when creating your own instance. Look at everything that spawned from Warcraft III's Custom Editor. I think the same would happen for WoW. Say 2 Million of WoW's population gets in to it when it goes live and .1% of the games created really catch on and get played by that market. That's 2,000 different games!

I put some thought into possible custom games that might arise in the various genres. Some are straight out of Warcraft III's Custom Games that I know I among many would start building.

Things such as but not limited to:

PvP could have Games like:

"World PvP" Arena Maps - Players can copy a section of their favorite World PvP area and drop it into their own custom instance. You could play 50 straight Arena games from 50 different hosts and never play in an identical map. In the span of 20 minutes, you could have battled in Draenor, Northrend, and Outland. One game it's a section of Teldrassil, the next a section right out of Grizzly Hills, and after that it might be on a massive floating rock in Nagrand. This brings content from everywhere, front and center at the click of a button.

"Super Power" Battlegrounds
    - Players can build maps with power-ups all over the map, changing a once normal Capture the Flag or King of the Hill into something much more. Even easier would be being able to place the power-ups onto existing maps like Warsong Gulch or Arathi Basin. Think buffs like Alysrazor and Ji'kun's "Winged-Flight", Sha of Pride's "Power of the Titan's", Garrosh's "Hellsream's Warsong", Vaelstrasz's "Burning Adrenaline", and even Ahri'ok Dugru's "Sanguine Sphere" from The Iron Docks scattered about a Battleground. The buffs could even be set to have a random rotation that changes like the Boxes in Mario Kart at their spawn points. There could be buffs hovering in the air that requires a Slowfall mechanic, or maybe its over top of death areas like off the side of the bridge in the middle Eye of Storm, that requires a Life-grip to obtain and not die. Spit-balling here, but you get the idea.

Sheep Tag Matches - It's a version of tag, except with the iconic Warcraft Sheep and Orc Wolf-riders. Cops and Robbers, Warcraft-style. The Sheeps were to run and hide, and build up their defenses to survive until the clock expired. Meanwhile, the Wolf-riders were to track the Sheep down, invade their fortresses and kill..er..."tag" the Sheep to capture them all before the clock expired. Sheep could break their captured brethren out by melee'ing their whisp forms that were confined to the middle area or "jail". These games were addicting, action packed, skillful, and great fun. Here's what it was like.

Sporting Games:
    -Sports like Horde vs Alliance Football with the [Pig Skin].
    -Punt the Gnome would have similar mechanics to the [Puntable Marmot] with zone lengths for what each kick would score.
    -Murloc high-dive water-darts; you jump off a high ledge as a Murloc and aim for the bulls-eye on moving targets on the water below. Different Murlocs have different abilities to aid their descents.
    -Of course there'd be Underwater Naga Home Run Derby.
    -WoW Quidditch with the Flying Brooms of Hallow's End

Artistry:
    -Artists of all skill levels could finally craft a slice of their idealistic zone or re-make parts of their old favorite zones. I'd definitely try and re-create the well of the Vale of the Eternal Blossoms.

Aerial Combat:
    -A re-made Wintergrasp with the Aerial Combat like what was intended for WoTLK.
    -Maybe a King-of-the-Hill-styled Battleground with a finite Flight-Buff Ability each player has, and it's situated over top of an Asteroid-belt-like rock formation floating above Nagrand.

Role-playing and Lore fun:

-RP re-creations and enactments. Surely some guild out there wants to re-create Thrall's wedding and attend personally.

-Re-enacting Lore that never happened in game? Sign me up!

Mazes:

Mazes were a huge staple of Warcraft III's Custom Games, and I think it's a game that could be equally as successful in this medium. This is what I'm talking about if you've never seen it.

NPCs patrol at various intervals and rhythms that the Player has to avoid. One moment of contact to the NPCs, leaving the path, or other mechanics, and it's insta-death. There were also various gimmicks at play that a Player had to avoid as well, like Mortar Bombs, Fire, Poison, etc. They were intense, replay-able, and with loads of suspense and laughter. A game could last 30 seconds before everyone loses, or go on for a half hour or more as the team worked through it together, by reviving the ones who'd died by reaching check points throughout the map.

There was mounted Mazes as well, called "Run Kitty Run"
    . Basically a team of Night Elves riding Nightsabers whose objective was to reach the middle of the map by traveling through many stretches of maze while dodging NPC-patrolled pathing. As you leveled up, you could train a few abilities to aid your attempts at making it further into the map. If you or your teammates were touched by any of the patrolling NPCs, insta-death. You had to run over their power circle their death left behind, to revive them on the spot. The randomness of the NPC pathing was what made it challenging. Check it out.

Outside of these 2 types, players could just create the stereotypical 'maze' using the hedge or plant-life assets to create a giant labyrinth of Zangar Mushrooms or something of the like. There could be elite centaur that spawn at points throughout, that the 5 man group has to battle, all while they're being chased by a fire that starts in their wake as they start the maze. There could be incredible mazes built in this way, especially with how creative WoW's player-base is. A Maze like from the book, The Maze Runner.

Tower Defense Games:

From Wikipedia - "Tower defense is a sub-genre of real-time strategy video games, where the goal is to stop the enemies from reaching a specific point on the map by building a variety of different towers which shoot at them as they pass. Enemies and towers usually have varied abilities, costs, and upgrade prices. When an enemy is defeated, the player earns money or points, which are used to buy or upgrade towers, or upgrade the number of money or points that are earned, or even upgrade the rate at which they upgrade."

They were a hit in Warcraft III's custom games as well.

Racing:

Drawing from the Darkmoon Faire racing assets would make this a seamless transition. Add in the Alysrazor game mechanics, as well as any other gimmick you want and you've got some awesome Racing tracks to be built. Run only, Ground Mount only, Flying Mount only, etc.

-Races and Marathons: The Great Gnome Triathlon, just imagine that game hahaha.

-Warcraft-Kart, using all the heroes of WoW and various mounts or vehicles.

Platform-Jumping Puzzles:

This one probably sports the highest creative ceiling. Scale this object, reach that height, make it from one side to the other, etc, etc.

Nearly all objects in WoW can be climbed upon and when stacked or grouped or put near each other, can create some incredible climbing adventures. Throw in the new Timeless Isle and Isle of Thunder techniques (vines etc), with the various architecture assets you could draw from, and you could create jumping puzzle maps of all difficulties.

So essentially you'd run the editor, create whatever you wanted like the above suggestions, and then host it in some type of "Custom Game" area for players all over to join, play, and compete in your very own maps/games!

You could be silly with it, make art with it, compete against others with it, or even role-play with it. It's all just for fun. I think if it's engaging enough, the players would use it for just that. The possibilities are endless.

What do you think, could this be in the future for WoW?
    Player-created content either can't give rewards or would require heavy moderation by Blizzard. But moderation can't be done since people would just choke forums with threads where they cry how Blizzard is cruel and won't let them make stuff that gives free stuff.

No thanks.

some iteration of this idea i think might work someday, especially if what can be done is limited. if it was all locked within the Emerald Dream especially, with appropriate lore as to how you get there, i can see it "making sense." but it's probably too big an undertaking for blizzard to ever consider.

on the subject of crazy ideas people have for in-game content, I have always thought it'd be really cool if they used professions and possibly some type of in-game questline to allow players to construct some type of large war vehicle, like a Fel Reaver type thing, that they could then use to attack enemy players within a specified area. give some standard template for the vehicle as a quest reward type thing then allow for different modules, weapons that give specific attacks, mobility related stuff etc., making them craftable by the professions and able to be sold on the AH. Then let them go crazy constructing a very powerful war machine, leashed to a designated area, that works like a vehicle with a limited number of moves etc. somehow incentivize participation through rewards for both the attacking players and the player attacking them in the vehicle... essentially a (somewhat) customizable World Boss. Have the grind be long and difficult to actually complete the process and also possibly involve a que so that it feels like a world boss, with only one active at any given time, if that.

10+ Year Old Account
    If that "vast majority" prefers to do things that progress their character, then this isn't intended for them. There's these things called community, fun, and competition. If something is fun enough, I believe it'll transcend "player power progression".

Just as Warcraft 3's Custom Games were all about fun with no rewards, so could World of Warcraft Custom Games.
    Well, if the vast majority is not interest past a few runs of that player-created content, I would be surprised to see Blizzard implement it.

Completely unrelated. It's fine that this might not be something for you though.
    Unrelated??? Housing killed WoD. This is fun for stupid MMOJRPGs. Nobody actually liked this in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Because there wouldn't be that. Blizzard wouldn't allow it. Because so much of what the game is is server-side player generated content would have to be approved and added to the game by Blizzard. It's not a terrible idea and the scenario framework along with a decent toolbox would be a decent place to start. Anyone that thinks they can just create something that will spawn in the game isn't being realistic. I could easily imagine Blizzard holding a couple of competitions a year and picking the best stuff to add to the game. World quests, dungeons, just about anything you can imagine that would fit inside of a scenario would work. Rewards would probably be gold or something. It might work for players; it might not. Technically, there would be challenges of course but I could see it happening someday. Player-generated content has been around for ages. It's how Greg Street got into the business originally and it's been the starting point for a lot of designers.
    Player-generated content works extremely well in Neverwinter. But they have had this part implemented in their game from the beginning and it was one of the advertised features of the game. You also could rate the storylines you have played and thus show the other players which player-generated questlines were good. From the official site, there was a bonus for the completion of some player-generated questlines per day, comparable to the weekly bonus quests we currently have now for the weekly event (with a reward which matched similar rewards in the game).

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Unrelated??? Housing killed WoD. This is fun for stupid MMOJRPGs. Nobody actually liked this in WoW.
    Yes unrelated. People are sort of running with their own ideas of what they'd make, but my OP makes no mention of player-housing. The type of content that I'm really driving this idea towards is custom mini-games. Maps would be created, shared (downloadable a la WC 3 Custom Games), and then hosted to be played. They'd end, and you'd port out back into where ever you joined the que from, just like if you'd just ended a battleground or dungeon run.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    Well, if the vast majority is not interest past a few runs of that player-created content, I would be surprised to see Blizzard implement it.
    Even though I think this idea would be a huge hit, and all types of players (casual, hardcore, competitive, role-players, etc.) would surely delve into it, don't you think there's room for more niche content?

Yes unrelated. People are sort of running with their own ideas of what they'd make, but my OP makes no mention of player-housing. The type of content that I'm really driving this idea towards is custom mini-games. Maps would be created, shared (downloadable a la WC 3 Custom Games), and then hosted to be played. They'd end, and you'd port out back into where ever you joined the que from, just like if you'd just ended a battleground or dungeon run.
    I totally get your point. The main point about Garrisons was that Blizzard have tried to create some kind of customizable content. And they failed. Hard.

Just realized my "Super Power" Battlegrounds idea was somewhat realized with the implementation of Brawls.

Would any of these other ideas, or the Player-created Content as a whole be something people would want next expansion?

I love player created quests in neverwinter, and loved custom maps in wc3. I am in. I am so fucking in.

Deleted
    Player-created content would be shit and only another excuse for Blizzard to produce less content.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I love player created quests in neverwinter, and loved custom maps in wc3. I am in. I am so fucking in.
    Right there with ya! The possibilities are truly endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Player-created content would be shit and only another excuse for Blizzard to produce less content.
    Don't misconstrue what I'm saying with this. This is content OUTSIDE of what Blizzard creates. If Warcraft 3's custom games are anything to go off of (they are), player-created content could be revolutionary for WoW.

Deleted
    Don't misconstrue what I'm saying with this. This is content OUTSIDE of what Blizzard creates. If Warcraft 3's custom games are anything to go off of (they are), player-created content could be revolutionary for WoW.
    Yes. And? It would still be shit and it would still be a reason for them to produce less content. Because if there was player-created content there'd be less pressure for Blizzard to put out new content.

7+ Year Old Account
    Player created content could actually work for world of warcraft a good example to look at is star trek online the players create content and players play in them how it works is simple you if blizzard goes same route as cryptic pay a amount of currency in wows case would be gold and you then would get a olc editor token to create content via the olc editor when it's done you get it passed to a gm for approval if they approve it gets set in the pve and or pvp community whichever you have it set to as for the guidelines players couldn't go overboard like say kill 10 mobs and you get 10000 gold blizzard would have to decide how to set the guidelines i for one think this would be a good idea for future features of the game.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Try neverwinter. It can possibly not be shit, if done right.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. And? It would still be shit and it would still be a reason for them to produce less content. Because if there was player-created content there'd be less pressure for Blizzard to put out new content.
    Even if that were the case, other than indignation about where your money goes, there would be less drought.

The entire MOBA genre spawned from Warcraft 3's Player-created Content. That's just one example of how incredible it can be.

I'll entertain your posit though; even if Blizzard felt less pressured to put out new content because of this, the Player-created Content could be way better than anything they produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    Player created content could actually work for world of warcraft a good example to look at is star trek online the players create content and players play in them how it works is simple you if blizzard goes same route as cryptic pay a amount of currency in wows case would be gold and you then would get a olc editor token to create content via the olc editor when it's done you get it passed to a gm for approval if they approve it gets set in the pve and or pvp community whichever you have it set to as for the guidelines players couldn't go overboard like say kill 10 mobs and you get 10000 gold blizzard would have to decide how to set the guidelines i for one think this would be a good idea for future features of the game.
    Neverwinter's approach was having player made quests accessible at all times, but only the highly rated, and (in this case blizzard-approved) ones give exp and gold. They could also simply make it into a formula... I am terrible at mathematical logistics, but something along the lines of Exp=(#enemies)*(AvgQuestTime)/difficulty rating? anyhow, you get the idea

I remember someone asking this at Blizzcon (few years back) and them saying they really want to do it, but don't know how to implement it.

I'd personally love it, because I have so many ideas and things I've always wanted to do, but am unable to because I can't.

If anything, an art editor and community made art would be cool.