Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by srathgar View Post
    If the means you used were unintended, even if it was not an out of the way and obscure exploit to use, then it is an exploit. You seem to look at it as if its all white and black which exploits are the furthest from, they can be benevolent or malignant or somwehere inbetween, theese ones made the game extremely easy to complete apparently, meaning they were malignant, they were effectively destroying the perception of the game.

Had it given him a small advantage, so be it, that would be like getting a weapons upgrade, theese two exploits that they are referring to were game defining and not minor. In a sense it would be like giving you a death star to cruise around the galaxy in going by your weapons analogy.

Overall I'd have been find with calling it an exploit as there is nothing wrong with that in most cases and something that needed changing as it was too good. Calling it a cheat on the other hand is some PR BS and I do hate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You clearly don't know what an exploit is. In one game devs added an item that you could buy for price X and then sell it to the same vendor for price Y and Y > X. It was a bug and using it was an exploit, but did you see the videos of how it was done? Players were just buying the item and then selling it, nothing extraordinary the normal in-game function. According to you it wasn't an exploit and it wasn't cheating.
    Exploit yes but nothing negative about it given how it ws designed other than being too good. Changed because someone found it out and leaked it to everyone to soon and screws up their statement of you can get to the center in 40-100 hours.

Exploit? yea. Nothing wrong with that but not a cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by srathgar View Post
    Quras why are you insisting on dissecting every little thing said in that quote untill it fits your agenda?
    Sorry but thats not really dissecting. He called it a cheat which is clearly isn't

And thats kinda my point.

An exploit sure. The very defination of exploit is pretty obvious and not a bad thing unless you use it to cheat. Which wasn't done.

But it sure as hell isn't a cheat. It was clearly put into the game, designed to be found as the game leads you those stations to find them and use or sell them.

I find it a bit dishonest in how HG games presented that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Overall I'd have been find with calling it an exploit as there is nothing wrong with that in most cases and something that needed changing as it was too good. Calling it a cheat on the other hand is some PR BS and I do hate that.
    The actual definition of the word cheating has acting dishonest or unfair. Instead of nitpicking every little word just relax a little.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Exploit yes but nothing negative about it given how it ws designed other than being too good. Changed because someone found it out and leaked it to everyone to soon and screws up their statement of you can get to the center in 40-100 hours.
    The person who found it called it an exploit
    The person used it to get to the center faster than intended

That's cheating by definition.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Just shows devs can never win lol

People complain the leakers getting to the center too quickly. Ultimately it's not really how HG wanted people to play the game, so they changed it, and people complain about it...or at least the semantics about it - which seems kind of petty.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The actual definition of the word cheating has acting dishonest or unfair. Instead of nitpicking every little word just relax a little.
    So it wasn't a cheat then. Given it wasn't done dishonestly and was not unfair given anyone can go to them at get it with how things are generated.

SO PR to save a little face?

15+ Year Old Account
    So it wasn't a cheat then. Given it wasn't done dishonestly and was not unfair given anyone can go to them at get it with how things are generated.
    Just because anyone can do something doesn't stop it from being an exploit. With in the rules of the game it gave an unfair advantage by giving a huge injection of credits and warp fuel at regular intervals. You are splitting hairs for no other reason then to hate on Sony and Hello games.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Just because anyone can do something doesn't stop it from being an exploit. With in the rules of the game it gave an unfair advantage by giving a huge injection of credits and warp fuel at regular intervals. You are splitting hairs for no other reason then to hate on Sony and Hello games.
    No I hate seeing them call out someone as a cheater when it's not. It might be an exploit that needs changing but it's not a cheat. If you followed this game at all you know who they were calling out and calling him a cheater. And thats simply not true.

I'm splitting hairs on exploit VS cheater because it's a BS statement to make themselves look better in the face of a clear flaw in their design and shifting the blame to the gamer. Hell, they should have thanked him for finding it because I have no doubt it would not have been changed or even talked about without it getting the attention it did. A needle in the haystack they missed as it was obvious from the game footage, it was intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheaters can't be reasoned with.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Using exploits to acquire in-game stuff in more quantities than intended is cheating, no different from pulling down a console and typing "give warp cells 100500".
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    This game is going to be a massive failure. Way too much hype for an indie game disguised as a AAA game.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No I hate seeing them call out someone as a cheater when it's not. It might be an exploit that needs changing but it's not a cheat. If you followed this game at all you know who they were calling out and calling him a cheater. And thats simply not true.

I'm splitting hairs on exploit VS cheater because it's a BS statement to make themselves look better in the face of a clear flaw in their design and shifting the blame to the gamer. Hell, they should have thanked him for finding it because I have no doubt it would not have been changed or even talked about without it getting the attention it did. A needle in the haystack they missed as it was obvious from the game footage, it was intended.
    Really?

Find a bug in game, report it, LEAVE IT ALONE and continue playing AVOIDING using the bug is not cheating

Find a bug in game, report it, Use it to your advantage circumventing intended playablility IS cheating.

There is no grey area

Im very happy I watched all the streams and videos that people have uploaded, saved myself 60 bucks lol. It looks nothing more than a 25 dollar indie game, not even close to worth 60 dollars, cant do shit besides fly around and land on planets, cant build bases, its a shell of a great game, it needs so filling and then maybe ill think about picking it up. Though im inclined to think itll never get buildable objects ever so Ill probably just stay away from it forever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Semantics much? using exploit to get an advantage in a game is cheating. It's not an official cheat - but it's cheating.
    its clever use of ingame mechanics that werent fixed yet, its not a multiplayer game, there is no cheating, just cause he used ingame mechanics that werent fixed to get to the center faster than you doesnt mean all of a sudden he cheated his way there lol. Only person to blame is hello games for not fixing, dont blame the buyer for playing with what hes given.

Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    Really?

Find a bug in game, report it, LEAVE IT ALONE and continue playing AVOIDING using the bug is not cheating

Find a bug in game, report it, Use it to your advantage circumventing intended playablility IS cheating.

There is no grey area
    Find items in game clearly intended to be found as the game leads you there. They help you get around teh galaxy easier and gives you credits that was designed and in game to be done.

A bit too good? yes as was mentioned. As was it need to lower the resell cost but not cheating and not a chance in hell it was a bug.

http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/

Worth a read for anyone not in the know about developing and releasing games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/

Worth a read for anyone not in the know about developing and releasing games.
    LMAO "if it was like steam it wouldn't have a day 1 patch".

If I had quarter for every time I finished an unpack of a pre load on steam and then a new patch started to download I might have a few meals worth of money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Good luck.
    I seriously doubt you'd pay even if the video had exactly what you'd described, you'd figure out a way in which it didn't fit your criteria no matter how exactly it did. :P
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    All this bickering of what the game will or will not have aside, has anyone found a decent place for CDkeys yet? Cheapest I can find is $52, and I would pay the full price on Steam just to be sure it was legit over that place. I'd like to pre-order, but I don't like paying that kind of money for indie games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    The mechanics and concept were advertised, yeah. But the execution is lacking.

Anyway, Sean Murray just released the day one patch notes, some of which address my concerns: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/

Some cool stuff in there
    Well they've fixed the exploit that allowed people to reach the center of the galaxy in 20 hours. Good to see they're on top of things. At least the early releasers paved the way for some good fixes.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    All this bickering of what the game will or will not have aside, has anyone found a decent place for CDkeys yet? Cheapest I can find is $52, and I would pay the full price on Steam just to be sure it was legit over that place. I'd like to pre-order, but I don't like paying that kind of money for indie games.
    I personally don't care if its indie or not for the price as its all about the value to me. However I also don't consider NMS an indie title since they have support from Sony. At one point they said it would just be for replacement equipment and marketing but I'm sure it has gone far beyond that. They might still be an indie studio but they have had help from Sony which makes them a semi-indie.

To me you should judge it based on the game rather then the studio. What if they weren't an indie from the start? Would $60 feel right then? That is all that should matter. A new game concept from a studio that has had only one different game before. Indie, backed, anything in between should be irrelevant to any price vs value discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Well they've fixed the exploit that allowed people to reach the center of the galaxy in 20 hours. Good to see they're on top of things. At least the early releasers paved the way for some good fixes.
    Most if would likely have been planned before the early leaks though. As in order for the patch to be ready for launch it would need to have been going through certification and finished. Which it likely would have already been going through certification when the leaks happened.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Once a game goes on print it's as feature complete you can possibly hope for on launch, the best your going to get is just a bunch of bug and balance fixes on launch.

Convincing yourself what has leaked isn't the full game is just you not liking what you are hearing, and making excuses.
    http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/