Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    They really did not move to the left, the republican party has been moving to the right, which is making the democrats seem like they are too far left...
    JFK would disagree http://www.ushistory.org/documents/ask-not.htm
    vs
    http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...228-story.html

one was about unifying as a country to progress as a whole, as in becoming as one as a group towards goals which would bring every member up along with it
    now is way more about helping the individual as an individual at the expense of the group

both groups have spread away from the center, I wouldn't say Repubs have moved as far, but they have moved as well
    Last edited by billymayz; 2016-08-07 at 07:46 AM. Reason: further iteration

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Sure, but trickle down eventually came around to wreck us in the end. It simply wasn't immediate.
    While I don't necessarily disagree on the object level, I'd be careful with this style of argument - it allows creating all sorts of post hoc rationalizations for why X Thing That Happened is really the fault of the guys I don't like politically from 20 years ago.

I also don't think it makes sense to say that "trickle down eventually came around to wreck us". The regulatory framework problems and bad incentives in the financial system are much more specific problems than the overarching idea behind supply-side economics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The regulatory framework problems and bad incentives in the financial system are much more specific problems than the overarching idea behind supply-side economics.
    Isn't trashing regulation part and parcel with neoliberal supply-side economics?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Isn't trashing regulation part and parcel with neoliberal supply-side economics?
    Deregulation is certainly a supply-side tenet. The broken regulatory system wasn't just deregulation though - it's a network of bad incentives and misregulation, including the implicit backing of the government for poor lending decisions and incentivizing poor lending standards. This is not at all consistent with systems favored by laissez-faire proponents; stripping away downside risk for investors runs directly against their positions.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I never said we are going to have a Insurection, just that the 2nd amendment affords us the ability to protect ourselves.
    No, it gives the government a pretext on which to shoot you ("I thought he had a weapon, honest!", "You have nothing to fear from the police if you just follow orders!") if they ever feel the need to to do so. There are other things that you have to rely on so this hopefully never comes to pass.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I cant help but feel like what he is trying to say is: "they are moving far, far, far away from our racist, sexist, bigoted ideas and now there is less overlap between the parties". And i know not every rightleaning person is racist, sexist and bigoted, but these are the things the left is trying to distantiate themselves from. Meanwhile the right is divided into a group that still embraces these things and a group that wants to distantiate themselves from both the left and racism, sexism, bigotry and whatever else you want to add to the list. But as long as everything is considered either right or left, theres very little room for the right to move away from outdated opinions.

I'd say that the Democratic Party represents the left-wing to center-right of most Western European democracies, while the Republican Party represents the right-wing and beyond including now thanks to Donald Trump the alt-right. Left-wing = Bernie, center-left = Obama, center = Hillary, center-right = Tim Kaine/David Cameron. Somehting like that anyway. Then Paul Ryan = right-wing, like Theresa May. Alt-right = Donald Trump, like Nigel Farage. Prior to Ronald Reagan I would say the Republican Party was center-right. Funny thing is that the The Party of Lincoln was center-left (social liberalism) to center (classic liberalism) at a time when the Democratic Party was a conservative pro-slavery party. So the GOP has made quite the extraordinary journey. From the liberal Party of Lincoln, to the very conservative Party of Reagan, to the alt-right delusional mental shit-show that it is now as the Party of Trump. That the internal opposition is the Christian Right headed by Ted Cruz doesn't make it much better.

So in summary, Paul Ryan is dead wrong about that. And I think he knows it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    And? Is moving "far far far" to the left bad?
    If you live in the real world, with any ability to examine every single other country that has, you'd already know the answer to that question was yes. But, as ever, people far to the left aren't interested in facts. Fuck facts. Fuck all the misery it'll cause. It's all about feeling good and righteous, even if, when carried out, it turns out to be cruel and unjust.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looking from outside, for me it's pretty clear that the democratic party moved far far far to the left, and the republican party moved far far far to the right.

Both cases are bad and increases political polarization, which divides the country by increasing the hate among the people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by billymayz View Post
    JFK would disagree http://www.ushistory.org/documents/ask-not.htm
    vs
    http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...228-story.html

one was about unifying as a country to progress as a whole, as in becoming as one as a group towards goals which would bring every member up along with it
    now is way more about helping the individual as an individual at the expense of the group

both groups have spread away from the center, I wouldn't say Repubs have moved as far, but they have moved as well
    JFK? What? How is that even relevant here? that was in 1960s, I am talking about recent time. Since the 1990s, the republicans have gone right. In the 90s you could have gotten Bush to pass a conservative immigration bill. Now? Even the conservative bills even seem liberal to them.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Looking from outside, for me it's pretty clear that the democratic party moved far far far to the left, and the republican party moved far far far to the right.

Both cases are bad and increases political polarization, which divides the country by increasing the hate among the people.
    The Democratic party hasn't moved anywhere. The Republican though? When the Tea Party movement came in they started going fascist right.

7+ Year Old Account

Funny because most believe that democrats are moving to the center left,borderline right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    Funny because most believe that democrats are moving to the center left,borderline right.
    What makes you say that? The Blue Dogs are basically gone and the platform this year is a serious move to the left.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can see how they moved far far far to the left by taking a closer look to the concepts they embrace. I mean, democratic party pretty much supports all those stupid SJW views and crazy theories, which have it's roots on marxism and radical feminism, just to give a few examples.

Sure, they still can't apply those ideas because the way the U.S political system works, and due to the fact that a considerable percentage of the country is extremely conservative.

But for me, it's pretty evident that, at least on the ideological plane, they are flirting with the far left.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2016-08-07 at 09:59 PM.

You can see how they moved far far far to the left by taking a closer look to the concepts they embrace. I mean, democratic party pretty much supports all those stupid SJW views and crazy theories, which have it's roots on marxism and radical feminism, just to give a few examples.

Sure, they still can't apply those ideas because the way the U.S political system works, and due to the fact that a considerable percentage of the country is extremely conservative.

But for me, it's pretty evident that, at least on the ideological plane, they are flirting with the far left.
    What specific policies do you think are "flirting with the far left"?

7+ Year Old Account

Marxism and sjws are different in many ways. In fact marx wrote about gender roles and it pretty much clashes with what modern feminists believe. Marxists hates free trade , ideas supported by democrats and that were previously championed by republicans.
    So I fail to see how democrats moved far far to the left. Unless you can provide examples that are more specific so I can have a better picture.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Marxism and sjws are different in many ways. In fact marx wrote about gender roles and it pretty much clashes with what modern feminists believe. Marxists hates free trade , ideas supported by democrats and that were previously championed by republicans.
    So I fail to see how democrats moved far far to the left. Unless you can provide examples that are more specific so I can have a better picture.
    I didn't say marxism and SJW are the same thing. What i said is that SJW ideas are heavily influenced by Marx, especially by the class struggle theory. Heck, modern feminists pretty much drink in this fountain. In their view we face a constant conflict for power between men and women, and the over representation of men in power position is only due to an endless opression.

This current of thought, which puts men and women as antagonized classes is very common inside the democratic party, and that's an example.
    Another example is their support to the BLM movement.
    Their promiscuous relationship with unions also evidences this.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2016-08-07 at 10:27 PM.

I didn't say marxism and SJW are the same thing. What i said is that SJW ideas are heavily influenced by Marx, especially the class struggle theory. Heck, modern feminists pretty much drink in the fountain. In their view we face a constant conflict for power between men and women, and the over representation of men in power position is only due to and endless opression.

This current of thought, which puts men and women in antagonized classes is very common inside the democratic party, and that's an example.
    Another example is the support the BLM movement.
    Their promiscuous relationship with unions also evidences this.
    Unions and BLM are your evidence for "flirting with the far left"?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    What makes you say that? The Blue Dogs are basically gone and the platform this year is a serious move to the left.
    It's just one of those things that people say. If you sit far enough on one side or other, everyone looks like an unprincipled, compromising centrist.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    JFK? What? How is that even relevant here? that was in 1960s, I am talking about recent time. Since the 1990s, the republicans have gone right. In the 90s you could have gotten Bush to pass a conservative immigration bill. Now? Even the conservative bills even seem liberal to them.
    I'm not sure using the most conservative democrat in history, and the most liberal republican in history are the best people to use as your starting point examples of deviation from the norm.