Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    But... No Man's Sky isn't an MMO.
    nnn good point... but i guess i put it there cause so many people called it "wow killer" for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    nnn good point... but i guess i put it there cause so many people called it "wow killer" for some reason...
    ...they did? That's literally the first time I've seen anyone even reference WoW and NMS in the same context.

Depends on how you define MMORPG.
    For me Firefall has been a game I have been playing since its closed beta many years ago, but due to some serious issues and what seems to be the loss of lots of its staff it is really slowed to a crawl development-wise.
    That isn't perhaps the traditional disappointment of something that you came to expecting more, but one that was something more and then declined.

People say that about any game, regardless of genre.
    What will kill wow isn't one single factor.
    It will be due to many things, as much as people determined to promote their latest gripe will disagree.

I don't think there is really a single reason that most games fail.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-08-08 at 12:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...they did? That's literally the first time I've seen anyone even reference WoW and NMS in the same context.
    well... to be fair im on dentarg/whisperwind, and it was all over trade chat awhile back :P but any game is defined a "wow killer" by trade chat...

10+ Year Old Account
    Wildstar semi fits this. I played it for 2 months and had fun with it. However it had some severe problems at release. One of them was that there was basically no solo endgame content. The only thing available, outside from housing, was a single daily area that was done in 45-60 minutes if you did it alone (fast if in a group). After one month a second similar area was added. However, the quests were dull as hell and that was still just not much. Secondly, the game was hard. Not in and of itself a problem, but in order to do the attunement quests for the raids you basically needed a fixed group so you could learn the dungeons together. We managed to finish one dungeon and then we get to point three: The endgame as horribly bugged. We are talking about things like, certain criterias for quests/dungeons simply not working or bosses resetting their aggro on the fly and then oneshotting DPS. You can't play like this. It just doesn't work. So, yeah, after 2 months I was done. The game is actually in a pretty good spot nowadays, but since I have no guild and all people I played with in the beginning have stopped... yeah~ >_>

Guild Wars 2 I played to max level, but it was still not as good as it sounded in the beginning. The dungeons were horrible because of the non existing trinity. Could have been so much more.

Deleted
    Wildstar, I liked the game, its world, etc
    Too bad the combat system was total crap and ruined the game
    I didn't expect it to succeed, but I was still dissapointed
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2016-08-08 at 01:04 AM.

Archeage.

I really wanted to play a "Sandbox" MMO with grind (like, zomg ? someone WANTS the grind ?) where you can level up and get stronger almost endlessly while using trade/conquest/construction to claim & modify you (and your friends') little corner of the world.

What I found was an aging game with hacks aplenty, and only "Sandbox" in that it was openworld PvP.

Most every customizable option you'd hope for in a "modern" sandbox, were only a fixed illusion of choice that became quickly apparent.

Guild Wars 2. The game did a great job making exploration and questing fun but the dungeons were so bad. Group PVE content is an important part of any multiplayer game for me and they failed to deliver. I appreciate them taking a risk and not using the trinity but they couldn't make it work. PVP is good but that just isn't important to me.

well... to be fair im on dentarg/whisperwind, and it was all over trade chat awhile back :P but any game is defined a "wow killer" by trade chat...
    Ah, so the usual WoW fans continuing to keep that silly term alive despite nobody seriously using it in well over half a decade.

Carry on, then : D

Warhammer and SWTOR.

Wildstar too, but not like those two.

Black Desert for sure, such a beautiful game with amazing combat controls, but the enemy AI makes the combat unnecessary since you can just spam your basic attack and blow everything out of the water.

SW:ToR not entirely, just sad they didn't have much of an end game so once you hit level cap, it gets pretty stale really fast..otherwise I think the game is great.

Wildstar, great looking game, with great mechanics and combat but the initial drive for it to be a "hardcore" game really turned me off. Leveled to cap and just couldn't get into it. The Lore is interesting too.

The Secret World. Overall a good game, REALLY wish that there was some guidance on builds within the game though for efficiency and efficacy. It's possible to play for 20-30 hours leveling a character and then get to a zone later one where you're completely worthless and unable to even do normal quests because your build just doesn't work. Looking info up online isn't really that helpful since you have such hugely varying levels of skill and play styles giving you advice which can just end up confusing you even more or leading you down a path you can't even follow because you're just not as good as the player suggesting to use it.

Deleted
    Everything after tbc including wotlk.

ArcheAge is and maybe will always be the most disappointing MMO to ever hit the market. It's a wonderful game that was utterly destroyed by dumb business decisions. It would have been HUGE with more competent people behind it. Which is why it's such a disappointment ... it's a paradox. So brilliantly designed and so terribly ran.

And I'll have to agree with all the GW2 folks. It's a good game but I was so hyped for it (this is more my fault than the game's ... though they didn't deliver on a lot of stuff they were promising). I won't get hyped again because of GW2. If anything, GW taught me that I prefer the Holy Trinity. And more interesting class building.

(I wasn't hyped for ArcheAge ... but I played in the beta and it was amazing ... at launch it was a amazing ... it's monumental flaws took a while to really present themselves ... and then the devs didn't only not address them, but they deliberately made things worse).

Wildstar could have been good if it just did its own thing ... but it always seemed to do stuff in response to something else (i.e. WoW). "Don't like casual? We're hardcore!" ...

I just wish someone would come out with a bad ass AAA MMO sandbox. One that was skill-based and not time-based / gear-based ... but still kept things engaging to keep people playing. Instead ... devs give you all the flashy stuff right away to get you to buy-in and the rest is just a grind. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Like... more garrison missions?
    You're pretty ignorant if you think that is all that is coming in the next expansion.

Wildstar - I had fun with this game, I really did. But there was not a lot to do endgame outside of the raid grind, crafting armor/weapons sucked because only a handful of runes were any good, and the ones that were good were REALLY good. Raid drops were often trash unless they had the right runes. Attunements sucked. Nothing is less fun than running new recruits umpteen times through all of the dungeons to get attuned because you are in a constant battle with the roster boss. And when you weren't raiding, the end level zones were awful, and their answer was to add more zones for the express purpose of daily grinding out the same quests.

Age of Conan - Pretty graphics for the time, but combat and skills were often unbalanced and dungeons were a mess.

Warhammer Online - It was just a mess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    all of them
    Yea this.. I started WoW this expansion though, it was fun but I think its poorly designed as unlike some other MMOs, everything just feels pointless. In other MMOs, you grind to get some shiny reward in the end, in WoW you just grind for the sake of grinding. So once you see the stuff you wanna see and do the stuff you wanna do, it cant really hold you.

Deleted
    Swtor by far. Great ip , biggest budget for mmo ever , developers who had made a streak of awesome rpg's. What could possibly go wrong?

First and last game I will get hyped for. Wasn't a bad game , just more of a single player game with a million bugs and crappy engine.Huttball was great but couldn't even be played for months on the server since there wasn't enough players on the server to get two teams of eight. Or even two teams of five. and there wasn't any cross server pvp. Six months later when they got the server transfers tech developed it was way too late. No players left anyway.

Star Wars Galaxies: The ultimate example of what might've been. Sandbox style MMO with (IMO) the potential to have become what WoW is now (aside from being a themepark MMO), albeit a different flavor of game overall, were it managed and run by competent developers. Instead, it had the misfortune of being an SOE product.

Rift: The entire starting zone/experience was so much like WoW, I stopped about 10 minutes in, thinking "this all looks and feels so much like WoW that I may as well play WoW".

Star Wars The Old Republic: Got talked into buying this, along with several other friends, by one friend. Played for little over a month, got to 50, realized the game was nothing more than a vanilla WoW clone with Star Wars paint job, noped the hell out and went back to RBGing in WoW. Actually tried it again earlier this year, only to nope out again within 15 minutes because the game's engine makes FF14 look buttery smooth.

Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns: Base GW2 was 50 bucks well spent. Enjoyed the game for quite a while, and love the fact I can pick up and play it at any time with no issue of sub fee or any such things. HoT, on the other hand? Pretty much wish it never happened. I went from logging in every day for several months leading up to HoT to dropping GW2 2 weeks after HoT launch. The initial discovery and exploring was great, but once that was done, the grind-a-thon set in, and I set out to other games.

WoD: I had low expectations for this simply based on the stupid lore/plot, removal of features, and the absurdity that has become the handling of flying mounts. Little did I know how far below my expectations WoD would be. WoW would've been better off with 4 years of MoP, supported by additional content patches, with WoD never existing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blade & Soul. Not the games fault, i blame the incompetent western publishers.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Archeage of The Secret World

Archeage has a ton of amazing concepts, no class restrictions, several tiers of land ownership, crime, etc but all of that is ruined by the grind that tends to accompany Eastern MMOs.

The Secret World: The issue with this game isn't in its design, per se. The issue seems like they didn't have enough money to take the game to its full potential. The full is full of awesome lore, environments, quest, and overall storytelling to bring it all together. The made real world websites for the sole purpose of in game quests. The faults were in its game engine and its technical limitations. Combat was clunky, animations stiff, AI prone to hiccups, and the list goes on. Its like having a Ferrari but replacing the engine with that of a Honda Civic. Quite sad.

Those are the only MMOs that disappointed me. I am find with some MMOs not being to my liking.

Resident Cosplay Progressive