Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    if people dont like the playstyle its fine, but in terms of just numbers resto shaman is very good, specially in raiding. probably top 2-3 healer behind resto druid. so chaning just for numbers theres not much reason to.

I've play Rsham since Wrath and I personally dont think it's change all the much in terms of playstyle. Less Chain Heal spam, sure, but then again I always wove in Heal Wave spam in between my CH anyways so maybe that's why it doesn't feel too different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    if people dont like the playstyle its fine, but in terms of just numbers resto shaman is very good, specially in raiding. probably top 2-3 healer behind resto druid. so chaning just for numbers theres not much reason to.
    Interesting, I've read mostly that its druid that is right behind shaman... but alas we dont know anything for sure until live is here, so its all just speculation anyways.

Resto Shammy hasn't changed much since Cata so I'm not sure what the OP is talking about. Most of the things he complains about losing are now baked into the spec. The only thing a semi agree with is Earth Shield but more for nostalgia than anything else.

I'd argue that the lack of changes every x-pac gets a little boring. The only thing new is Wellspring if you ignore Artifact abilities (which everyone else gets as well).

This thread feels like the hottest girl on the block keeps telling everyone how ugly she is and she wish she looked like Joe from next door.

Quote Originally Posted by mkultra55 View Post
    Resto Shammy hasn't changed much since Cata
    And exactly that's the issue imho (don't know what the OP said).

Resto Shaman is the healer with the worst ST toolkit and with the most boring spells for healing. It's just boring and it always has been boring. Back when we were Chain Heal spammers and now when we spam Healing Wave or Healing Surge.

Crashing Waves is our only healing mechanic and it's just awful compared to things other healers have. I want to play Resto because I somehow feel connected to my Draenei Shaman (since BC) but I can't look forward to it.

Since the prepatch I am having some mana issues anyone got some tips?

With the loss of Elemental Blast and spirit I seem to run low fast especially when spamming CH or HS

I got a druid, priest healer with 0 mana problems but I do on my (main) shaman I have to spam heal people to keep them live in and running low on mana.

I was looking at the bottemless depths talent but I am not sure if it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joozt View Post

With the loss of Elemental Blast and spirit I seem to run low fast especially when spamming CH or HS

I got a druid, priest healer with 0 mana problems but I do on my (main) shaman I have to spam heal people to keep them live in and running low on mana.

I was looking at the bottemless depths talent but I am not sure if it is worth it.
    It will only help some but get more crit on your gear if you are currently avoiding it. Make good use of tidal waves and healing wave, this is our bread and butter. Chain heal costs so much now that if you're pressing it more than twice in a row then you'll feel that throughout the rest of the fight.

@OP, what other healer would you play instead? Shamans still have far and away the most CD's and tools to handle situations. Our talent tree is some of if not the most diverse and many talents completely change playstyle which is amazing. Earth shield was garbage just like Water shield, i'm glad they're both gone. The latter of which is essentially baked into our toolkit now, and if you miss the visual there is a toy you can get that will put the floating orb back. I think my biggest complaint is how boring HST is, but it gets better with the artifact traits.

Having played most of the healers on beta, I can say that Shaman is far and away the most fun, with Monk coming in at a somewhat distant second.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joozt View Post

During the pre-prepatch I didn't even have healing wave bound. Now I use it more frequently than healing surge due to the new mana/spirit changes. With tidal waves, healing wave isn't so bad and a lot more mana efficient. It's really just about adjusting your play style to fit your mana restraints with each fight. I've also found myself not leaving healing rain down constantly anymore if there isn't much aoe damage, where before it was cast off of with ele blast.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Everything I've read and pretty much all of the videos I've seen put resto shaman in the top three for healers in Legion. No fear here in any kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    And exactly that's the issue imho (don't know what the OP said).

Resto Shaman is the healer with the worst ST toolkit and with the most boring spells for healing. It's just boring and it always has been boring. Back when we were Chain Heal spammers and now when we spam Healing Wave or Healing Surge.

Crashing Waves is our only healing mechanic and it's just awful compared to things other healers have. I want to play Resto because I somehow feel connected to my Draenei Shaman (since BC) but I can't look forward to it.
    Well the OP was complaining that things had changed too much and too many things were taken away, which is ludicrous.

I have to disagree with most of what you said other than the Boring part since that's a matter of opinion. I like our ST kit. RT plus Tidal Wave buffed HS/HW's coupled with our Mastery is very, very strong. Add in Ancestral Vigor for good measure.

We also have, arguably, the best Utility belt of all the healers.

Short CD Ranged Interrupt, AoE Stun or CC, Hard CC, Stampeding Roar equivalent, a spammable AoE heal,our T75 Talents. Yada, Yada.
    I agree that I wish we got more than just Wellspring as a new, non-Artifact ability but I'm pretty happy with Resto Shaman going into Legion.

I've played every healer other than Druid (they never did it for me) for the past month in varied content and my order of fun is Resto Shammy, Monk, Disc Priest, Holy Pally then Holy Priest. Now that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really miss Earth Shield and I especially miss Earthliving weapon, but overall I'm having a lot of fun with Resto shaman.
    It's between Reso sham and Mistweaver monk for my main in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirhark View Post
    Our talent tree is some of if not the most diverse and many talents completely change playstyle which is amazing. Earth shield was garbage just like Water shield, i'm glad they're both gone.

Having played most of the healers on beta, I can say that Shaman is far and away the most fun, with Monk coming in at a somewhat distant second.
    Sorry, but this is just untrue.

Our talent tree offers us exactly nothing to be diverse or change our playstyle. If you want to see a talent tree that alters the playstyle just look at Mistweaver or Resto Druid.

Resto Shaman is lacking every kind of mechanic that would make the playstyle fun. But that's just my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the OP was complaining that things had changed too much and too many things were taken away, which is ludicrous.

I have to disagree with most of what you said other than the Boring part since that's a matter of opinion. I like our ST kit.
    What does our ST kit offer? We don't even have a ST cooldown or some "special" ST heals. Shamans have the best group utility but the ST healing is still inferior to other healers due to our toolkit.

Resto Druids have a cookie cutter spec because of their tier 19 bonus, so no, they dont have any varied playstyles. Monks can choose between a ton of talents but it basically comes down to whether they'll be fistweaving or casting. We are still equally viable with a CBT+Wellspring based build, a CH spam build, a ST-heavy (this is mostly for 5 mans, granted) build. We also have the option to spec into a bunch of big CDs or better sustained healing. Honestly, we have a lot of diversity and compared to other healers we're doing fine in terms of playstyle. Holy Paladins and Disc Priests are also stuck with a cookie cutter spec, and HPriests don't get anything really significant.

Anyway, fun is of course subjective, and the only reason why I can't see someone enjoying RShams is because of the lack of ST cooldowns or instants, but the rest of their kit feels very impactful.

What does our ST kit offer? We don't even have a ST cooldown or some "special" ST heals. Shamans have the best group utility but the ST healing is still inferior to other healers due to our toolkit.
    I play a shaman as main and have 3 other healing classes and in equal gear (timewaling) I found out that shaman has inferior ST healing compare to (druid, paladin, holy priest) On the other classes it is basically impossible to go OOM and you can just chain pull till the end even if you have a sucky low dps group. On shaman I struggled even though it is the class I know best. (of course if you have a decent group it is rather easy)

A part from unleash life I see no talent to improve ST healing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trm90 View Post
    We are still equally viable with a CBT+Wellspring based build, a CH spam build, a ST-heavy (this is mostly for 5 mans, granted) build
    I really doubt wellspring is viable in progress mythic raids it costs to much mana maybe I some specific encounter but most likely you will still run high tide.

We still have a nice set of cooldowns but we got nerfed rather than buffed. CH got nerfed, ascendence talented, High tide got nerfed

Of course we dont have an artifact yet so that will hopefully balance it out

Quote Originally Posted by trm90 View Post
    Resto Druids have a cookie cutter spec because of their tier 19 bonus, so no, they dont have any varied playstyles. Monks can choose between a ton of talents but it basically comes down to whether they'll be fistweaving or casting. We are still equally viable with a CBT+Wellspring based build, a CH spam build, a ST-heavy (this is mostly for 5 mans, granted) build. We also have the option to spec into a bunch of big CDs or better sustained healing. Honestly, we have a lot of diversity and compared to other healers we're doing fine in terms of playstyle. Holy Paladins and Disc Priests are also stuck with a cookie cutter spec, and HPriests don't get anything really significant.

Anyway, fun is of course subjective, and the only reason why I can't see someone enjoying RShams is because of the lack of ST cooldowns or instants, but the rest of their kit feels very impactful.
    Resto Druids can go either full ST healing (every L15 talent, Soul of the Forest, Germination, Stonebark) or full group healing, Monks can go a similar route by choosing the right talents (and Resto Druids and Monks have a far superior artifact tree than Resto Shamans) - please compare their talents to the Shaman ones.

What do we have in comparison? Torrent, Unleash Life? Please compare it with Prosperity and all the other bonuses you can spec into Swiftmend. Deluge? Wellspring? Gift of the Queen? We have some of the best (if not the best) CD in game but our healing toolkit is limited in nearly every possible way.

Sure we can either spec into ST or group healing but in comparison we have the inferior toolkit, inferior talents and inferior artifact traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    I really miss Earth Shield and I especially miss Earthliving weapon, but overall I'm having a lot of fun with Resto shaman.
    It's between Reso sham and Mistweaver monk for my main in Legion.
    I really miss the sound earthliving weapon made when it applied the hot.

Deleted
    I've mained a hunter since Vanilla but feeling like a change and have always enjoyed my healer alts so I'll be going healer in Legion. Can't decide between Holy Priest & Resto Shaman though. I've played both on beta quite a bit.

I found the priest a lot of fun but I think that was mostly in comparison to the shield spam priests have endured for 2 expansions now.

Shaman didn't feel drastically different to WoD really. Riptide felt more potent and mana is obviously more of an issue but that's all healers really. I think I'm going to go shaman for the better utility and 5-man performance.

I'm also looking forward to the new healing meta and loss of disc shields meaning that both holy priest & resto shaman masteries should be more useful more often. I particularly imagine that, with mana being tight, healers will learn that someone at 90% shouldn't be given any direct healing since Holy Priest mastery/class self-healing can do the rest.

Still not 100% decided on which to play but shifting slightly towards shaman, might change depending on which guildies come back!

I would say druid is one of the best healing classes currently although I am not sure about the artifact

I know you think it's boring but fast, large heals on low health targets is what we bring. Riptide with Torrent followed by a very fast Healing Wave on a low Tank is not only very strong but also very efficient. I agree that Druids are strong overall but what do the other healers bring that TOTALLY trumps the combo of our Mastery plus Tidal Waves? You can throw in Cloudburst Totem as well since it can be looked at as a Beacon equivalent.

I'm not arguing that we have the best single target healing but I will argue that we're gimped. Something has to give when we bring so much else to the table.

I've put most of my time in the past month into my Shaman, Monk and Holy Pally.

I agree that the new Mistweaver is very well designed. I love the new Talents and they're fun to play. They have a nice Tank DR and have great stacked healing potential but they really lack utility. I missed all the tools my Shaman has whenever I played my Monk though I agree I miss the variance in playstyle the Monk brings when I play my Shammy.

Holy Pally is a nostalgia blast. It plays more like TBC/Wrath era Holy (to me). It also finally feels like a D&D Cleric or a Warhammer Warrior Priest. Their single target kit is amped by Beacon of course but if you don't get lucky with Infusion procs you really lean on FoL which will OOM you if you're not careful. LotM on the surface seems like a nice emergency Instant Heal but there's a reason it's reviled by Holy Pally's on the forums. They also lack any sustained AoE healing which I know isn't the subject in question but makes them a PITA at times.

Disc is great at Raid healing but Atonement just doesn't cut it for single target. I didn't get to play Holy much and I didn't touch Resto Druid.

My only gripe with Resto Shammy for single target/Mythic Plus healing is the L100 Talent Tier. I wish Wellspring was default and replaced by a more single target focused ability.

I know you think it's boring but fast, large heals on low health targets is what we bring. Riptide with Torrent followed by a very fast Healing Wave on a low Tank is not only very strong but also very efficient. I agree that Druids are strong overall but what do the other healers bring that TOTALLY trumps the combo of our Mastery plus Tidal Waves? You can throw in Cloudburst Totem as well since it can be looked at as a Beacon equivalent.

I'm not arguing that we have the best single target healing but I will argue that we're gimped. Something has to give when we bring so much else to the table.

I've put most of my time in the past month into my Shaman, Monk and Holy Pally.

I agree that the new Mistweaver is very well designed. I love the new Talents and they're fun to play. They have a nice Tank DR and have great stacked healing potential but they really lack utility. I missed all the tools my Shaman has whenever I played my Monk though I agree I miss the variance in playstyle the Monk brings when I play my Shammy.

Holy Pally is a nostalgia blast. It plays more like TBC/Wrath era Holy (to me). It also finally feels like a D&D Cleric or a Warhammer Warrior Priest. Their single target kit is amped by Beacon of course but if you don't get lucky with Infusion procs you really lean on FoL which will OOM you if you're not careful. LotM on the surface seems like a nice emergency Instant Heal but there's a reason it's reviled by Holy Pally's on the forums. They also lack any sustained AoE healing which I know isn't the subject in question but makes them a PITA at times.

Disc is great at Raid healing but Atonement just doesn't cut it for single target. I didn't get to play Holy much and I didn't touch Resto Druid.

My only gripe with Resto Shammy for single target/Mythic Plus healing is the L100 Talent Tier. I wish Wellspring was default and replaced by a more single target focused ability.
    Fast and large heals are not exclusive to Resto Shamans. I just wanted to compare the toolkit, not the Masteries.

I have every healing class on level 100 (just so you know I'm not assuming things out of the blue) and Shaman feels (for me) just flat and boring when it comes to ST healing. We are not talking about group healing, that's different. Placing Riptide on a target, maybe using HST and spamming Healing Wave or Healing Surge is not the kind of playstyle I like. And it's not even something special. Druids can throw their HoTs onto the target and Swiftmend, have their Ironbark and other tools for ST healing. Monks have got Renewing Mist, Enveloping Mist, Soothing Mist, Effuse and with their artifact weapon another very strong ST heal. Additionally they've got Cocoon. Monks ST healing may not be that enticing but it's effective due to some very strong talents / traits. Holy Priests have some kind of Auto-Riptide and a massive ST heal with a low CD and they've got a very strong artifact skill for ST healing.

All Shamans do for ST is Riptide - Healing Surge (and maybe HST) - that's not only boring, it's dull. Maybe you like spamming the same skill over and over again, I don't like that kind of playstyle.

Again, Resto Shamans have great utility. All those crazy totems are just amazing and with Reincarnation we have something unique. But we lack a) ST healing capabilities and b) spread group healing capabilities. That's my issue with Resto Shaman. Gift of the Queen is okay but... nothing else. It doesn't solve any of our core issues as well no talent or trait does.