Deleted

Looking for information regarding Mythic+ dungeons

Hello,

I haven't played WoW for some time, so please excuse my lack of knowledge and any wrong assumptions made in this post.

I've been reading about Mythic+ dungeons and the concept of it appeal to me very much. Have I understood it correctly if I say that Mythic+ dungeons will be proper end-game for 5-man groups that should last the entire expansion, and that it will reward ilevel gear comparable to mythic raiding?

What are the boss encounters like in Mythic+ dungeons? Are they comparable to boss encounters in raids in some way?

Will there be leaderboards for Mythic+ dungeons, like they had for challenge modes?

Regarding set bonuses and trinkets from raiding. Will these bonuses be disabled in Mythic+ dungeons? If not, doesn't that mean that mythic raiders will have a large advantage over those who only focus on Mythic+ dungeons? For example, I've been looking at the Beast Mastery set bonuses of Tier 19 and they look rather significant.

When new raid tiers are released throughout the expansion, with higher ilevel items as a result, how will this affect item scaling in Mythic+ dungeons? I read that Mythic+ dungeons offer infinite difficulty scaling, but to my knowledge there is a limit on how good items (ilevel) you can get from it.

I'll answer your questions in order.

Mythic dungeons do and do not reward gear comparable to mythic raiding. Allow me to explain. First off, there's a maximum ilvl available at any given time in Legion. Any piece of gear can upgrade to that maximum at any time. The cap is set to 850 at launch, and 895 after Emerald Nightmare launches. Right now as far as we know, mythic raids drop 880 ilvl gear. Mythic+10 if I'm not mistaken drops 870 ilvl gear. That being said, items can upgrade in increments of 5, all the way up to the ilvl cap. In other words, you could get an 895 drop from a normal dungeon, but the odds are incredibly bad. Blizzard has stated that mythic+ is designed to reward gear with an ilvl between heroic raiding and mythic raiding. Of course anything can upgrade to the max ilvl, and mythic+ is profitable enough that even the most hardcore mythic raiders will want to do it.

The boss encounters can be absolutely brutal when you're pushing up to the highest levels that your group can finish. https://www.twitch.tv/slootbag/v/81745033
    Skip to 10:09:08. That's the last boss of Court of Stars on mythic+11 with Tyrannical. Slootbag is one of Serenity's main tanks, and is considered by many to be one of the absolute best tanks in the world. He runs mythic+ on beta and streams it pretty much every day.

I'm not sure about leaderboards. I've heard they will exist in game, but have seen no evidence at this time.

For pve, any piece of gear that you obtain can be used in any pve content, that includes set bonuses and legendaries. Not doing mythic raiding will put you at a disadvantage. On the flip side, not doing mythic dungeons will put mythic raiders at a disadvantage, as you can run a lot of mythic+ every week, so that's a ton of chances for getting high ilvl gear. Not to mention dungeons themselves have some very nice set bonuses and trinkets, particularly from Court of Stars and The Arcway.

No one knows yet how later tiers will impact the ilvl available through various types of content. Blizzard is being tight lipped on this one. Mythic+ loot is capping at +10 right now, but keep in mind you get loot for every level of mythic+ you finish per keystone, so if you were to do a mythic+14 you would get 5 pieces of mythic+10 loot compared to only one if you did a single mythic+10 or 2 if you did a +11. More runs = more loot.

Deleted
    A contested area I can see in this subject is that when WoD started, Challenge Modes were a decent race because almost everyone had similar 5man heroic gear, while now I heard 5man mythic+ will open later making raiding gear more prominent in them. Then again it's not a big deal if you count how many did CM successfully and early. I don't believe most of those that were successful in doing at least 8xSilver before raiding, were lower than top 100-150 world in raiding.
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2016-08-06 at 08:26 AM.

To add to the second poster, max base ilvl of gear is 865 at +10, however, it seems the higher you go, the higher the chance to warforge gear is, but so far that is anecdotal evidence and not confirmed in any way. The bosses can be tough, but they are nowhere near mythic raids in difficulty, there are no new abilities from base mythic up, though certain affixes do interact with different bosses in different ways, so the difficulty is variable.

More so than gear, class setups are extremely important in mythic+, especially healers are very unbalanced and again, depending on affixes, some tanks are infinitely better than others.

No leaderboards as of yet, the only recognition that's there is realm first for +15 that will likely be taken by some nonraider group in the second week of emerald nightmare.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    To add to the second poster, max base ilvl of gear is 865 at +10, however, it seems the higher you go, the higher the chance to warforge gear is, but so far that is anecdotal evidence and not confirmed in any way. The bosses can be tough, but they are nowhere near mythic raids in difficulty, there are no new abilities from base mythic up, though certain affixes do interact with different bosses in different ways, so the difficulty is variable.

More so than gear, class setups are extremely important in mythic+, especially healers are very unbalanced and again, depending on affixes, some tanks are infinitely better than others.

No leaderboards as of yet, the only recognition that's there is realm first for +15 that will likely be taken by some nonraider group in the second week of emerald nightmare.
    The way I understand it is that each time you win an increased ilvL roll, it rolls again to see if you get the next one and so forth. They aren't going to tell us the chances of this happening (they have stated as much) but they have stated that the lower the base iLvL the lower the chance of something getting that many bonus item levels is (this should be obvious anyway).

I think 865 is a fine number considering every single person in the group gets a piece of loot if you complete the dungeon, and at least in the first tier, it's 3 rolls away from being max item level.

Assuming they update the system slightly with each major patch (example being that Nighthold would make the base iLvL go up by 10-15 iLvLs in addition to obviously making +12 or +13 the cap on loot quality) I'd be pretty happy. As long as the iLvL remains relevant, or potentially relevant as you can pretty much get perfect itemization for non tier slots if you get the right item that might not exist in raids as the loot pools are a little bit more narrow (especially with relics, as they don't have relics with high iLvL in raids for every single minor trait). In addition to that, some of the trinkets are pretty powerful, again, if the iLvL rolls high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    The way I understand it is that each time you win an increased ilvL roll, it rolls again to see if you get the next one and so forth. They aren't going to tell us the chances of this happening (they have stated as much) but they have stated that the lower the base iLvL the lower the chance of something getting that many bonus item levels is (this should be obvious anyway).
    That's not to say the chances are the same (eg chance to roll the first +5 might be different from the second roll after that) and that the chances are consistent (eg chance to roll +5 is different on mythic+15 than in random hc).

Deleted
    Thank you for your in-depth response, Laurcus, and to everyone else who responded. It sounds like Mythic+ dungeons will be worthwhile end-game for me. I'm glad Blizzard is going this route, because 5-man content is much more accessible to people like me who have limited time, but still wants a challenge. There's a lot of potential to make 5-man dungeons more raid-like in terms of difficult boss encounters with challenging mechanics, different phases and such. It can only get better and I'm very excited for it.

I figured I'd ask this here instead of creating a new post.

I'm considering playing Beast Mastery hunter in Legion. Would that be a good pick for Mythic+ dungeons?

Which professions are going to be good for this particular end-game? I was thinking maybe Alchemy and Engineering.
    Last edited by mmocc600cf1b87; 2016-08-08 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curnivore View Post
    A contested area I can see in this subject is that when WoD started, Challenge Modes were a decent race because almost everyone had similar 5man heroic gear, while now I heard 5man mythic+ will open later making raiding gear more prominent in them. Then again it's not a big deal if you count how many did CM successfully and early. I don't believe most of those that were successful in doing at least 8xSilver before raiding, were lower than top 100-150 world in raiding.
    Well mythic+ is not supposed to be like CM or be a race or anything like that, its a extra gear progression path and something to do outside of raiding, and for some people who dont raid it will be their best choice to get gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjelpen View Post
    Well mythic+ is not supposed to be like CM or be a race or anything like that, its a extra gear progression path and something to do outside of raiding, and for some people who dont raid it will be their best choice to get gear.
    I'm sure it's going to be a race for the higher brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Curnivore View Post
    I'm sure it's going to be a race for the higher brackets.
    Yupp, when your gear is capped your damage will be capped meaning you have to make up time in other ways. Which means trying to do bigger and faster pulls. Since mobs gain more hp for each level, you have to do it "faster" every level.