Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    NASCAR is a specific type of car racing, so would be American, whereas car racing would not be. Neither apple pie nor sci fi are American, though specific types of them might be.
    Well, since it's stock car racing, that's very American... Europeans of the times raced with custom built cars and were rich fucks that had money to blow. So that part at least is American. Anything else... I've had some pretty amazing apple pies in Germany. And they don't look like a billion other pies, because for some fucked up reason, someone had the bright idea to cover it all up with a top crust as well...

This... my friends, is an actual apple pie that looks like one, too!

Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Apple pie is america?

Really?

Never heard about the Tarte Tatin?

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    for some fucked up reason, someone had the bright idea to cover it all up with a top crust as well...
    That you can see the soft, slimy backed apples is the top reason why apple pie is unappetizing to me. Any fruit pie really, but apple is just the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by wooters View Post
    yeah a badass military...who only wage war vs peanut nations..or enter a war after several years after it started and the combatants have exhausted themselves. real badass^^
    You mean like the soviet union vs afghanistan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by wooters View Post
    yeah a badass military...who only wage war vs peanut nations..or enter a war after several years after it started and the combatants have exhausted themselves. real badass^^
    I don't think the Japanese, Germans, or British would appreciate being called peanut nations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    This... my friends, is an actual apple pie that looks like one, too!

Why have you put apples on top of the pie? They go inside you weirdos!

I would definitely count sci-fi as American.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Every culture that has apples had apple pie. And i bet every nation that had writers had a form of sci-fi.
    The apple pie that American's eat was brought by the original English settlers in America, it's a very specific kind of apple pie. Sci-fi exists to a degree in other countries but there's no doubt it was strongest in the countries mentioned in it's inception.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Car racing is French I'm pretty sure, though it wasn't called Nascar.
    Nah car racing started in Britain, it's no coincidence that F1 is still based there to this day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    Jules Verne was French.
    I'll give you that, not sure they added much else though. The British and American's have added the most overall I would say, by a long shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I would definitely count sci-fi as American.
    Like those famous Americans Mary Shelley, Jules Verne, H G Wells, etc.

Deleted
    So is the invention of fire... and the wheel... right?

Like those famous Americans Mary Shelley, Jules Verne, H G Wells, etc.
    Genre is certainly invented by Europeans, but they seem not to care about it anymore. Sci-fi, as a genre, across all art branches, is pretty much dominated by USA since 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Muadiib View Post
    The apple pie that American's eat was brought by the original English settlers in America, it's a very specific kind of apple pie. Sci-fi exists to a degree in other countries but there's no doubt it was strongest in the countries mentioned in it's inception.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah car racing started in Britain, it's no coincidence that F1 is still based there to this day.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll give you that, not sure they added much else though. The British and American's have added the most overall I would say, by a long shot.
    There's the "american pie", yes, but to say "apple pie" is american is just wrong. And sci-fi is older than the USA, there are hundreds of groundbreaking sci-fi authors that were not american, Jules Verne, Stanislaw Lem etc. pp.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2016-08-08 at 11:43 AM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    NASCAR is a specific type of car racing, so would be American, whereas car racing would not be. Neither apple pie nor sci fi are American, though specific types of them might be.
    NASCAR is actually the name of the regulatory body/owners not the racing, it's just people call it that because [reasons], the type of racing is stock car racing and although it has gained popularity all over the world organised races actually took off in France before the USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Genre is certainly invented by Europeans, but they seem not to care about it anymore. Sci-fi, as a genre, across all art branches, is pretty much dominated by USA since 20th century.
    There are loads of European sci-fi writers, not sure what you are on about to be honest.

Do you mean that the sci-fi writers you personally like are American?

Really you can't deny that some of the most influential sci-fi authors were from America, especially when it comes to space opera. Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, E.E. "Doc" Smith and Frank Herbert were all U.S. citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Reasons why:Badass military people and weapons!

Once we defeat Islamic terrorism we will make space great again! USA! USA!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA......nope. Freaking troll post :P

time to feed the troll:
    Reasons why it is not american ( not saying americans can not be these things. But they come over like the general population lack these things):
    - ( in most) Sci fi people of other race, gender, sex are accepted as normal.
    - ( in most) Are not loving guns and shooting people. Yes they fire in wars. But not 100% gun loving.
    - ( in most) sci fi they look to the stars, and they are forward thinking.
    - ( in most ) sci fi people are smart. :P
    - ( in most) sci fi people do not ego's. :P
    - ( in most ) sci fi people are equal. And when they are not, the movie and the hero is fighting for the their rights. Just like they do for transgenders with those bathroom bills....ooohh wait...my bad .
    etc,etc

extra point: Nascar is F1 racing for dummy's who only can do 1 turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    extra point: Nascar is F1 racing for dummy's who only can do 1 turn.
    Is that not Indy car racing, rather than NASCAR?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuax View Post
    Well, I guess in that case ignorance must be added to the list
    I would ad stupidity to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sci fi - not American

Apple pie - not American
    NASCAR - presumably American
    Well... You just made an argument for the sentence.
    Science is as American as Apple Pie and NASCAR.

Now, since Apple Pie is rather British, and Stock car rather French/Belgian...
    Science too isn't American.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that not Indy car racing, rather than NASCAR?
    Yes, indeed.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Also a LOT of sci-fi came out of eastern Europe. Especially Russia.