Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    This logic doesn't work, sadly. There surely are plenty of planets similar to earth, but we don't know what the odds of life arising on those planets are. It could be so rare that we are, truly, alone. There could be a quintillion earth like planets, but life could be a one-in-a-quintillion thing. Saying that alien life definitely exist is as wrong as saying it definitely doesn't exist. We just don't know.
    Lots of people do not like "We don't know" as an answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Mathematically it's far more likely life exists elsewhere in the universe. Even if we are a statistical fluke, the universe is so mind bendingly massive that there would be more than just one fluke. There would, in all likelihood, be more than one fluke per galaxy.
    Life could be such a mind bendingly unlikely statistical fluke that we are the only example. We don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Lots of people do not like "We don't know" as an answer.
    Meh. Knowledge comes after you admit that you don't know. For those who don't like it, well, tough shit.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Life could be such a mind bendingly unlikely statistical fluke that we are the only example. We don't know.
    The inverse could also be true. It could very well be possible for life to either exist or have existed at one point at 3-5 different locations throughout just our solar system. We don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    The inverse could also be true. It could very well be possible for life to either exist or have existed at one point at 3-5 different locations throughout just our solar system. We don't know.
    Indeed. We just don't know.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally enjoy the theory of genetic manipulation by Aliens.

Some of you may have heard of the crazy idea of Planet X or Niriru. I think this is an interesting theory to toy around with. Theory says that there is 1 more planet in our Solar system which has a very very long elliptical orbit, and only comes near earth every 3,500 years. When this happens, it is supposed to bring along with it some very devastating effects, such as the Flood that Noah was supposed to have built the Ark for.

The idea that the inhabitants of Niriru had passed by Earth and saw it has a place which could sustain life and decided to experiment is interesting to me. They could have wiped out the Dinosaurs, then took what was usable, and began a slow evolution through genetic manipulation. It could be used to explain why some people see UFO's. They could be just keeping an eye on their experiment, and making changes to our genetics over time to ensure we are headed in the correct evolutionary direction. Eventually, we may evolve into the same, or close to the same species as those on Niriru, and the two species could co-exist.

Crazy outlandish theory, I know. But I find it interesting all the same.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We do not know the odds, so this is an unknown. We may be a statistical freak and unique, or life may be very common, we just do not know at present.
    Exactly. It is like saying well there is a .000001% chance there is a unicorn, so in this vast universe there has to be a unicorn! Statistics bro!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    ...such as the Flood that Noah was supposed to have built the Ark for...
    You know, in your whole post there, that's the part that sounds crazy outlandish to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Another crazy thought. But when we look at images from a telescope, we see it as it was millions, if not billions of years ago. We could have peered at a planet which did have life at one time, or will soon have it. It is technically possible that if there were several planets which housed life forms, it could have all existed at the same time, but since viewing things at such great distances is sort of like time travel, we might just be seeing planets before life existed. Where if we instead had a way to instantly travel to the planet, we might see it as it is today, and might be bustling with life. And that life might be at the same evolutionary point that we are at. But, we honestly just don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd really like it if we could make "we just don't know" the catchphrase of the off-topic forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Aliens exists.
    The idea that some being created us is ridiculous. Ifthat's the case, then why does none of the mythological creatures, such as Centaurs, Harpies, Mermaids, or Cyclopes exist?
    But life can easily have evolved on other planets, just like ours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd really like it if we could make "we just don't know" the catchphrase of the off-topic forums.
    I prefer...

"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know."

If you just mean aliens existing somewhere in the universe... probably 50 X 9's likelihood (99.999....999%). There are just WAY too many worlds out there for us to be alone in the universe. Even if there IS a creator... Guess what? There you have a life form (however large/powerful) who comes from elsewhere = Alien as far as earth is concerned.

And yes, I just pulled a number of nines out of nothing to represent how certain it is that other life exists. It is unbelievably unlikely that NO other planet has life.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, in your whole post there, that's the part that sounds crazy outlandish to me.
    The idea is that those "watchers" might have interacted with humans in some way. Those who discuss this theory claim that this is what the Sumerians were writing about. Even the Egyptians writings have been interpreted in such a way to say that either these watchers were interacting, or were living among us. There are South American tribes which have celebrations or "wise men" who came from the sky, wearing big puffy white outfits (picture something that resembles a space suit, but made of cloth and sticks). These wise men were supposed to have come and visit the tribe. When first met, they couldn't understand each other, but the next day, the wise man approached again, speaking their language perfectly. The wise man then taught them how to live in a slightly more advanced way (showing them improvements on the tech they already had [better use of sticks and stones and mud])

These watchers, in other areas of the world, could have been seen as gods since our understanding of these things at that time, would be non-existent. So Noah speaking with God, could have been Noah speaking with a watcher who didn't want to see their experiments ruined, so he helped Noah build a sea faring vessel which could save the experiments.

Again, crazy theory, I know. Don't burn me at the stake for explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Bait.

But I'll bite.

We know, know, for a fact how humans evolved from primordial goo. Whether life emerged from that by chance (likely, and nothing to indicate it hasn't) or was created by an outside actor is a different question, but once again, nothing indicates anything intentional or directed. So the most probable answer is that life emerged by chance.

Now accepting the premise that life in certain conditions can emerge by chance (it doesn't even need to be carbon based), and considering the amount of planets that could support life in the universe is very high, then it is also likely that life emerged in other places. Now whether that life has somehow overcome the limitations on travel imposed by relativistic physics or not, and has it managed to visit us, in that case once more, there is no evidence whatsoever to indicate that we have been "visited".

But if you really start digging into this it becomes more complicated.

If there is a "Creator" out there (no evidence to it being one), there is no reason whatsoever to assume that it didn't create life in a billion other places. Abrahamic religions assume that we were "created" in the image of the Creator, but whether that is figurative (intelligence) or literal (physical appearance) is less clear. For example the Catholic Church has developed a first contact protocol for alien species. For the Church the question would be, do they have a soul?

If there is no "Creator" in a divine sense, that still doesn't exclude the possibility that life on Earth was seeded by an alien civilization. See Panspermia. Hell, the event could have even been accidental. In that sense, you could both argue that there are aliens and that we were created.

It's a muddled question.

And you intentionally loaded it, to stir shit.
    First - we have 100% no proof that "primordial goo" ever existed, and thus, no proof that we evolved from anything. Scientists "guess" based on evolutionary principals that everything evolved from something (let's not even discuss the "Why" everything would have evolved).

Second - To all the non-Bible believers out there - consider this: Either "EVERYTHING" that's ever been created or happened since the the initial beginning of the universe was a complete random act of chance or there is a Creator. It's one of the other. No middle ground. Pick your side.

I choose God, because people are not smart enough to simply fabricate the Bible and all it's glory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Additionally, to the whole Niriru thing. In Hindu Religion, there were flying machines called Vimana's. These were supposedly how the gods showed themselves to the men and women at the time. They look much like what we would call Space Ships when you look at the drawings. There was a war between the gods and crafts and weapons comparable to the devastation we can cause today (weapons that can level entire cities). So there may have been some sort of argument over how this planet would be treated, or how it would be ruled.

It's the whole Ancient Alien theory really. But some of it is very convincing, such as the above when you compare Hindu Sanskrit to the Sumerian texts. Sumerian texts were written well before the idea of religion, and tells much of the same stories, so I tend to be drawn to it as it seems to me to be the root of these tales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The idea is that those "watchers" might have interacted with humans in some way. Those who discuss this theory claim that this is what the Sumerians were writing about. Even the Egyptians writings have been interpreted in such a way to say that either these watchers were interacting, or were living among us. There are South American tribes which have celebrations or "wise men" who came from the sky, wearing big puffy white outfits (picture something that resembles a space suit, but made of cloth and sticks). These wise men were supposed to have come and visit the tribe. When first met, they couldn't understand each other, but the next day, the wise man approached again, speaking their language perfectly. The wise man then taught them how to live in a slightly more advanced way (showing them improvements on the tech they already had [better use of sticks and stones and mud])

These watchers, in other areas of the world, could have been seen as gods since our understanding of these things at that time, would be non-existent. So Noah speaking with God, could have been Noah speaking with a watcher who didn't want to see their experiments ruined, so he helped Noah build a sea faring vessel which could save the experiments.

Again, crazy theory, I know. Don't burn me at the stake for explaining it.
    It was merely an attempt of mine to humorously point out the age-old issue of how Noah managed to get a breeding number of individuals of millions and millions of species on a boat.

There aren't enough peer reviewed sources for "I don't know". Most of the assholes here will argue with you just for the sake of arguing. There really is no sense in trying to have rational discussion with these folks.

OT: Why not both? Panspermia is my favorite theory right now, coupled with externally guided evolutionary "bumps".

Aliens definitely...

But if we were created, what created the creator?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmollster11 View Post
    I choose God, because people are not smart enough to simply fabricate the Bible and all it's glory.
    You should check out Harry Potter.

But yeah, if people were smart, the Bible would not be chock-full of contradictions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmollster11 View Post
    people are not smart enough to simply fabricate the Bible and all it's glory.
    I think you underestimate the power of imagination when your life is nothing but tending to crops, live stock, and your home.

After you posted this, I posted about the Sumerians. If you get a chance to read the translations, you will find that the root of the core stories in Christian, Hebrew, and Muslim faiths are very similar to Sumerian stories, which came before the official religions.

- - - Updated - - -

It was merely an attempt of mine to humorously point out the age-old issue of how Noah managed to get a breeding number of individuals of millions and millions of species on a boat.
    I understood = ) Which is why I threw my comment out there. I don't think he could have done it alone (or even with the help of his family).