Switching from DBM to BigWigs

I know i know I know there are a lot of old threads about it. But they're, as I said, old and I don't want to necro them also nowhere did I got the right information.

Currently I take a deeper look into BW if I wanna use it for legion or stay with DBM. I know all of the pro's con's from old posts but I don't look for something I would use with default options as Bossmods I always tailor them to my needs. DBM is way to noise and full of stuff by default where as BW is way to silent for me.
    So the One thing I don't really grasp is how the Sound settings work.

Do I get it right that, under the general Sounds Tab I can select my general Sounds and then, if I want to diviate from that I can choose so under each boss ability, right?
    But what do the different Sound types mean
    'alarm', 'alert', 'Info', 'long', 'Warning' ? meaning which of those sounds will be played when? And how can I test that?

Thanks guys

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by miDnight77 View Post
    I know i know I know there are a lot of old threads about it. But they're, as I said, old and I don't want to necro them also nowhere did I got the right information.

Currently I take a deeper look into BW if I wanna use it for legion or stay with DBM. I know all of the pro's con's from old posts but I don't look for something I would use with default options as Bossmods I always tailor them to my needs. DBM is way to noise and full of stuff by default where as BW is way to silent for me.
    So the One thing I don't really grasp is how the Sound settings work.

Do I get it right that, under the general Sounds Tab I can select my general Sounds and then, if I want to diviate from that I can choose so under each boss ability, right?
    But what do the different Sound types mean
    'alarm', 'alert', 'Info', 'long', 'Warning' ? meaning which of those sounds will be played when? And how can I test that?

Thanks guys
    Spawn some test bars or do an old raid to feel it out.

I switched from DBM to BW a few years ago and while I do prefer it to DBM it can be annoying for a first time user. Also, unlike DBM, BW doesn't come in one big package.

Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI

hey thank you for the effort of giving me all the Links: I already had LittleWigs and trying Voice atm. But I for the love of Elune can't figure out what sound is used for what. I just don't get why there are like 5 Sound settings for one skill. Will get me the autoreply as well ^^

I like to have Bars for timers and planing ahead, like pooling, CDs etc and also call out things as Raidlead. But some abilities I like to have a particullar sound so I can notice them without watching the bars or messages. In DBM this is rather easy, you only have to find the abillity and choose the according sound from a drop down. But BW just confuses me there which of them should a change to get the same information? Are all sound on the Master sound layer? If I just change every sound will I get spammed by the ability ?

Deleted
    Bigwigs has to parts of options.
    General(size, anchor, etc) and boss specific(turn on/off certain abilities, countdowns, etc)

If you are in the general config there should be a button named "bosses" at the top.
    In these options you select the instance and the boss you are interested in.
    Then you look up the ability you want to change and press the ">>" next to it.
    There should be a "sound"-tab where you can play around.
    Last edited by mmoc2e5b8dbff7; 2016-08-08 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefreak View Post
    Bigwigs has to parts of options.
    General(size, anchor, etc) and boss specific(turn on/off certain abilities, countdowns, etc)

If you are in the general config there should be a button named "bosses" at the top.
    In these options you select the instance and the boss you are interested in.
    Then you look up the ability you want to change and press the ">>" next to it.
    There should be a "sound"-tab where you can play around.
    Thanks alot but again .. thats where I am already but the confusion starts .. if Im on Boss encounters and a specific abillity it has 5 as in five or a handfull different Sound .. I don't even know how to call them.. Sound styles? Sound options? in the Sound tab there are as written above, 'alarm', 'alert', 'Info', 'long', 'Warning' And there I don't get what each single one means and how to determine what each of them does.. I get everything else about BW so far but this part is the one that puzzles me.

Thanks alot but again .. thats where I am already but the confusion starts .. if Im on Boss encounters and a specific abillity it has 5 as in five or a handfull different Sound .. I don't even know how to call them.. Sound styles? Sound options? in the Sound tab there are as written above, 'alarm', 'alert', 'Info', 'long', 'Warning' And there I don't get what each single one means and how to determine what each of them does.. I get everything else about BW so far but this part is the one that puzzles me.
    Set common abilities to the same noise. I have used 2 noises for things that need to be interrupted, one when i need to move, something else if a must kill target is up. Look at it like key binding with toons keep things similar and it is much easier to adjust.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    her/his problem is that bigwigs has many "channels" that can have a different sound for one ability
    unfortunately i used the bigwigs sounds out of the box

can't really tell you which "channel" is commonly used

The sound configuration sucks balls, someone should really improve that.

(changing all the sounds of an ability to the same thing works for most situations)
    https://github.com/funkydude - https://github.com/BigWigsMods
    Author of BadBoy, BasicChatMods, BigWigs, BFAInvasionTimer, SexyMap, and more...

Quote Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
    The sound configuration sucks balls, someone should really improve that.

(changing all the sounds of an ability to the same thing works for most situations)
    Will try that out for the meantime to see how it works. But I actually like to understand what I do and don't just change settings by luck. What is the idea behind the different channels? is it because I can set an ability up to be shown as anything? Like an message or alert or just a bar ? o.O
    I hope your response wasn't meant ironically and I'm just beeing to dumb to grasp BW sounds :O

Quote Originally Posted by Supakaiser View Post
    Also, unlike DBM, BW doesn't come in one big package.
    Neither does DBM. Older content is split into multiple mods and nothing loads until you enter the raid. You can also uncheck whatever parts you don't need or use.

It's a non issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Neither does DBM. Older content is split into multiple mods and nothing loads until you enter the raid. You can also uncheck whatever parts you don't need or use.

It's a non issue.
    Yeah All I know if is, that there was a big discussion in MoP about update cycles where BW was always quicker but for WoD this wasn't always the case and Both Bossmods where rather accurate pretty quick. Also if you aren't cutting edge progressing, it is not really of your concern.
    At the Moment BW just feels to be a bit more customisable for each spell. And for me the middle between both would be perfect in terms of noise. Bigwigs is a b it to silent from default and DBM over the top noise. But Bossmods, in my opinion, is nothing you should ever use out of the box. Because you never know what the warning you hear or see actually means if you don't set the clues yourself how you'd get them easily?? ; )

Will try that out for the meantime to see how it works. But I actually like to understand what I do and don't just change settings by luck. What is the idea behind the different channels? is it because I can set an ability up to be shown as anything? Like an message or alert or just a bar ? o.O
    I hope your response wasn't meant ironically and I'm just beeing to dumb to grasp BW sounds :O
    One option can encompass more than 1 warning (e.g. personal debuff warning, boss casting the debuff warning) and thus sometimes both of these warnings can have 2 different sounds. The problem is that the options has no idea what sound will be used, so it provides the option to replace all off them.
    Author of BadBoy, BasicChatMods, BigWigs, BFAInvasionTimer, SexyMap, and more...

Quote Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
    One option can encompass more than 1 warning (e.g. personal debuff warning, boss casting the debuff warning) and thus sometimes both of these warnings can have 2 different sounds. The problem is that the options has no idea what sound will be used, so it provides the option to replace all off them.
    So how do I set it up then, that I only have a Sound if a certain debuff is regarding me but no sound (or just the standart sound for 'hey, look! other players got shit') if it just occurs? i.e. Doom for Gorefiend

So how do I set it up then, that I only have a Sound if a certain debuff is regarding me but no sound (or just the standart sound for 'hey, look! other players got shit') if it just occurs? i.e. Doom for Gorefiend
    That's actually handled by the module, where 95% of the time a sound will only play when it's on you, despite what setting you select. The remaining 5% are debuffs that somehow affect you or are important, as deemed so by the module author.