Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Brains Of Overweight People 10 Years Older Than Lean Counterparts

Being overweight can do more to your head than just damage your self-image, it can literally damage your brain.

As far as this subject is concerned, there are two things that we already know. First off, it's long been established that our brains naturally shrink and lose white matter (the part that transmits information) with age. Similarly, obesity has already been linked to conditions such as diabetes, cancer and heart disease. However, the latest study has found that obesity and the aging of our brains are connected; specifically, that being overweight ages your brain to look 10 years older than that of a skinnier person's who is the same age.

In a study published in the journal Neurobiology of Aging, researchers from the Cambridge Centre for Ageing and Neuroscience analyzed 473 people between the ages of 20 to 87 and divided them into two categories, depending on their weight: lean and overweight. In the end, they found that overweight people had less white matter in their brains compared with their leaner counterparts.

From there, they calculated how white matter volume relates to age across the two groups. In doing so, they found that an overweight person had a white matter volume comparable to a lean person who is 10 years older than them.

Interestingly enough, however, they only found this to be the case in people who are middle-age and above, giving credence to the belief that our brains are particularly vulnerable during that period of aging.

"The fact that we only saw these differences from middle-age onwards raises the possibility that we may be particularly vulnerable at this age," said senior author Professor Paul Fletcher in the report. "We're living in an aging population, with increasing levels of obesity, so it's essential that we establish how these two factors might interact, since the consequences for health are potentially serious."

However, while researchers now know what obesity can do to people in those age groups, they still don't know why that is the case.

"As our brains age, they naturally shrink in size, but it isn't clear why people who are overweight have a greater reduction in the amount of white matter," Dr. Lisa Ronan of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Cambridge, said. "We can only speculate on whether obesity might in some way cause these changes or whether obesity is a consequence of brain changes."

Similarly, they still don't yet know the full implications of these changes in brain structure. "This must be a starting point for us to explore in more depth the effects of weight, diet and exercise on the brain and memory," the report stated.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/17...unterparts.htm

Great study here!

We have to hope that these researchers receive more funding so they can delve further into this area. The negative effects of being overweight cannot be understated it would seem.

Everyone knows being overweight is bad, why spend money on studying it ?
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    To learn more about how our bodies function.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how you only highlight the part that you want to hear and not the following part:

Interestingly enough, however, they only found this to be the case in people who are middle-age and above, giving credence to the belief that our brains are particularly vulnerable during that period of aging.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    I like how you only highlight the part that you want to hear and not the following part:

This must be your first tennisace thread.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Great study here!

We have to hope that these researchers receive more funding so they can delve further into this area. The negative effects of being overweight cannot be understated it would seem.
    I would much rather see research money be spent on something important. But, please Tennisace continue your long running "fatty" witch hunt.

im an overweight person at age 30 and i feel mentally 10 years ahead of the other 28-32 year olds i work with, is that the same?

furthermore, id like to add to the study. ill be taking in high amounts of thc and alcohol over the next decade, so you guys can study me and see how things go.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Oh god, you guys get triggered so easily lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    "Despite the differences in the volume of white matter between lean and overweight individuals, there was no apparent connection between being overweight or obese and an individual's intelligence or cognitive functions."

Tell us Tennisace, What should we be eating to be healthy? we need you to tell us
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I ate a stick of butter while reading this article, thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on the replies so far. I can't tell if posters are fat people or have Early Onset Dementia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    To understand why. Like all science, really.

Anyway, more motivation to get back in the gym habit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Based on the replies so far. I can't tell if posters are fat people or have Early Onset Dementia.
    you sound like you are for the first time in one of tennisace's threads.

Formerly known as Arafal

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Love you Tenn.

Your crusade against fatties is well noted.

We'll keep eating. you just tell us when to stop.

Dont really understand [excluding disease/disability] why someone would -want- to be overweight. it makes you unattractive, people joke on fat people -all- the time, it has horrible side effects, takes SO fucking long to lose all that weight, etc. like why...? just push back the fucking fork.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    I would much rather see research money be spent on something important. But, please Tennisace continue your long running "fatty" witch hunt.
    How is this a witch hunt? This is research based on cold, hard science.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Dont really understand [excluding disease/disability] why someone would -want- to be overweight. it makes you unattractive, people joke on fat people -all- the time, it has horrible side effects, takes SO fucking long to lose all that weight, etc. like why...? just push back the fucking fork.
    Food above all, baby

Thank heavens for my high metabolism

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    I ate a stick of butter while reading this article, thank you
    Well, it's better than margarine.(until it changes back again).

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Well, it's better than margarine.(until it changes back again).
    "Butter is bad for you! No Margarine! Ehhh"

It keeps changing. Back when I was young I read stories about fish being bad for you, now it's meat that increases your chances of getting cancer and everyone is hooked on fish again.