Deleted

So, Craft + Gather?

Hey guys

As a serious raider is it "optimal" to have 2x craft progressions for stats or whatever. If I go gatherer will I lose any perks?

Also is it much easier to craft with a gatherer because of the mats and BoS or have they changed that significantly?

Regards,

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Won't be any stat bonuses with professions, just perks to help you outside, (Like LW having an item that stops you being dazed while mounted) so you can go for a gathering profession if you like.

There aren't stat bonuses anymore, so taking double crafting doesn't benefit your player power. You can craft more items obviously which may be more beneficial if you plan on selling or using the AH. Though the only thing higher skills do is reduce the amount of materials required to craft.

I would say it's easier to have a gatherer+crafter as usually the beginning of the expansions are high-times where gathering mats skyrocket since everyone wants to craft, but no one wants to actually go gather items. BoS seem to be fairly frequent (I've gotten anywhere from 2-5 per hour of skinning), so it's a nice little thing to have, and anything wasted can just go into obliterum. Obliterum at leasts keeps professions fairly interesting. Instead of sitting on 3000 leather and 1000's of burnished leather, you can actually put them to use towards obliterum which may have more value then your "leggings of the Aurora" for the 30th time.

Maybe towards the mid-expansion when materials become cheaper, you can go back to dual crafting.

Obviously if you have any pre-Legion recipies, they'll be lost if you decide to change.

there are no perks. the only difference between what professions you get are what you want to buy off the AH. if you want to buy mats to support 2 profs then do that. if you want a self sustaining profession and buy whatever you would get from the 2nd crafting profession then do that

10+ Year Old Account
    tfw you cant switch from alchemy because you have the vial of the sands recipe
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post
    tfw you cant switch from alchemy because you have the vial of the sands recipe
    I can't find it anymore(if its in, it's buried under a mountain of other news) but I remember hearing in Legion you can switch profs and 'hold' your recipes/skill with another, you just have to pay a fee of some kind. That was way back when beta first launched I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilfayt View Post
    I can't find it anymore(if its in, it's buried under a mountain of other news) but I remember hearing in Legion you can switch profs and 'hold' your recipes/skill with another, you just have to pay a fee of some kind. That was way back when beta first launched I think.
    I heard that only works for Legion recipes

I've kinda made a mini-guide for my guild that I'll partially copy over here:

Basically for mains, the only good professions will be Enchanting (always great for mains), Gatherers (because you'll actually be outside in this expansion), and maaaaaybe Engineering (if they add more good shit).

Armor Crafters (Tail/LW/BS) will be very weak in Legion due to gear dropping everywhere and potentially up to Mythic level (so it's inefficient to use crafted gear), JC is okay but has nothing special, Alchemy is in the same boat as JC, but it's always going to be wanted for cauldrons and stuff (cauldrons are BoA so every guild will want at least one core raider with at least an Alchemist alt if not main), and Inscriptionist... it's always been kinda meh and I'm not sure where it will be come Legion. Depends how vital those runes will be for people (it's like, what, 1%/0.5% Versatility?).

TL;DR: I recommend 2x Gatherer, 1x Gatherer and Enchanting or Engineering, or Ench/Eng. Also recommend having an alt with Alchemy. As such, my main (Druid) was an Alt in WoD and had Tailoring/LW. Since then, I've swapped him to Ench/Herb, and I have a Paladin alt with Alchemy.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I've kinda made a mini-guide for my guild that I'll partially copy over here:

Basically for mains, the only good professions will be Enchanting (always great for mains), Gatherers (because you'll actually be outside in this expansion), and maaaaaybe Engineering (if they add more good shit).

Armor Crafters (Tail/LW/BS) will be very weak in Legion due to gear dropping everywhere and potentially up to Mythic level (so it's inefficient to use crafted gear), JC is okay but has nothing special, Alchemy is in the same boat as JC, but it's always going to be wanted for cauldrons and stuff (cauldrons are BoA so every guild will want at least one core raider with at least an Alchemist alt if not main), and Inscriptionist... it's always been kinda meh and I'm not sure where it will be come Legion. Depends how vital those runes will be for people (it's like, what, 1%/0.5% Versatility?).

TL;DR: I recommend 2x Gatherer, 1x Gatherer and Enchanting or Engineering, or Ench/Eng. Also recommend having an alt with Alchemy. As such, my main (Druid) was an Alt in WoD and had Tailoring/LW. Since then, I've swapped him to Ench/Herb, and I have a Paladin alt with Alchemy.
    I heard 2 x gatherer is suboptimal as you have no means of using your blood of sargeras that way, isn't that true?

Deleted
    Enchanting is nice, but not a must. 1x Gatherer plus a crafting profession to start with (Tailor,Leather,Smith) works fine, too.
    Tailors are kind of f&#$ed because farming cloth isn't half as easy as farming ore or especially leather/scales but the crafted stuff cost the same amount or even more. Plus they have to go to this hostile city in Suramar (no mailboxes!!) to craft the high-level armor.
    Smiths have it a tiny bit better but they also have to go to the middle of nowhere in Highmountain (also no mailbox!) to craft their stuff.

Surprise for World of DemonHunter Craft: Leatherworkers can craft their high level stuff anywhere they like...

Jewelcrafting is not bad because you can craft Necklaces and Rings that can be upgraded with Obliteron (confirmed for Necklaces; especially nice because they have class-specific perks. Couldn't confirm it on Rings because i didn't get the mats to craft one).

Alchemy could be Alt-material, but you have to be 110 anyway and be able to do heroic instances to get to the cauldron recipe.

Decided to start out as Enchanting + Herbalism on my Tauren Druid and Skinning + Mining on my DH. I'll eventually drop herbalism for JC and mining for leatherworking when it comes time to level the monk as mining/engineering. That should give a decent amount of $ early on in Legion and a good deal of utility/crafting profit later.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not seeing the benefit for tailors/LW/BS. The best gear you can make is 850ilvl that will be BoP so you can't even sell. Not to mention it will take so much time and effort to craft, the odds of you being close or higher to that item level by that point will be pretty high. With cauldrons being account bound I don't see a way to really make money from Alchemy.

People talk about BoS but I'm not seeing anything worth spending the BoS on. Personally I think enchanting/gatherer is the best bet in Legion currently. Skinning being probably the best gathering because of all of the gear crafters needing scale to make the bracers needed for their professions quest. I haven't spent that much time in beta but that is my take away from it, hopefully someone can clarify if I missed the mark.