Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Could a monk use chi in Mok'gora?

Considering that chi is not magic, just the energy found in all living beings. It wouldn't seem like it would technically be against the rules, although it would put you at an advantage if you were a monk able to weaponize it.

What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can a warrior use his rage?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why not considering how Garrosh beat a monk (Forget his name). Quality of the warrior I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weaponizing chi is considered magic so no I don't believe using chi would be legal. However a monk might excel in a mok'gora due to the fact that it's a hand to hand combat situation and that's their thing.

There is no set rule agaisnt using magic, elemental, loa, arcane or otherwise.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    There is no set rule agaisnt using magic, elemental, loa, arcane or otherwise.
    Except its the cowards way out, and there is no ohnour in it.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magic is not banned in all Mak'gora's. The only reason it was cheating in the movie because the duel was hand to hand.

Assuming this comes up as a challenge in a situation where there is time to say a few words, just use that time to determine the terms of the Mak'gora. Garrosh and Cairne did too.

7+ Year Old Account
    as a Spell-caster your weapon is the magic you cast, you are forbidden as magic-user to use items, artifacts and staffs
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

I understood each combatant gets to choose one weapon to use in the fight. If that allows one to choose magic or magic-like abilities, technically it's legal? A monk uses their bare limbs otherwise, I don't think they count as a weapon, since a warrior would use their fists too if they were rid of their weapon during the duel (as Garrosh did against Thrall).

I'd restrict the fighting capability to mortal weapons, since magic is overpowered. Mak'gora is supposed to be about honorable combat between two individuals to settle whatever beef they have between them and is based around a warrior culture, so allowing someone to merely think you to death feels wrong. I think that if you opt to use just your bare limbs (like a monk possibly would), it's counted as voluntary refusal to wield arms and not so much a free pass to use magic.

My opinion is that Thrall cheated against Garrosh. I don't know what the official stance is, but it's not like anyone at the scene cared (Khadgar, Yrel, Durotan etc.).
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    My opinion is that Thrall cheated against Garrosh. I don't know what the official stance is, but it's not like anyone at the scene cared (Khadgar, Yrel, Durotan etc.).
    the elements cared, they didn't obey Thrall afterword
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

The concept of Mak'gora is completely flawed. The only reason it worked for the Thrall v Garrosh duel is that Thrall used Doomhammer and his Elemental magic as his weapon, Garrosh only had Gorehowl. A monk's weapon in a Mak'gora is his body, which includes chi which comes from within. So no, using Chi is not 'breaking the rules' even if he used another weapon considering Garrosh used both his body and Gorehowl vs Thrall.
    Mistweaver Tax noun 1. The effect of both high mana costs, and lack of utility, coupled with requiring specific talent combinations to compete with other healers, while still not being able to compete with toolkits said healers have baseline in any competitive area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    So if a Mage gets challenged by a Warrior, does he just lay down and die?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelballfc View Post
    Don't bring Kosaks lame ass bullshit shit into this
    not flaming at you, at all, its just that....... makes no god damn sense
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    Can you cite a source on that? Because there are ZERO sources stating that the use of magic in mak'gora is forbidden or frowned upon.

What is forbidden, or frowned upon, is using weapons that your opponent is unaware of.

If you coat your weapon with poison, but fail to inform your opponent of it, that's cheating. if you're secretly a spellcaster, but pretend you're just a common brawler only to fry your opponent to a crisp, that's cheating.

The only rule in Mak'gora, is that the one being challenged sets the rules, and the one issuing the challenge has to obey them.

If I challenge you, then you can dictate what weapons are allowed, what weapons are forbidden, what armor both of us get to wear, etc. And I have to obey, and abide by those rules. If I challenge you, and you don't specify any of the above, then that's an unspoken agreement that there are no rules, and anything goes.

Garrosh challenged Thrall to a Mak'gora before. In the Warcraft comic, we see Thrall fighting garrosh mano-a-mano, but when the scourge attack orgrimmar, Thrall decides that defending the city is more important than massaging the ego of an idiot, and swats garrosh like a flea with a single lightning bolt.

Not ONE PERSON questioned Thrall's honor, after all, he was the one being challenged, and he never said "no magic".

When Cairne challenged Garrosh, it was garrosh who said they'd fight with no armor, and only one weapon, it was also garrosh who said the duel would be to the death.

When Thrall challenged Garrosh to mak'gora, garrosh could have used the opportunity to demand that no magic be used, but he said nothing, giving his unspoken approval that Thrall is free to use whatever he wants in the fight. Maybe he was sufficiently maddened by ego and rage to think that he could take on a fully powered shaman with nothing but an axe. The few hits he got in, were mostly because Thrall was holding back.

Wrong. The elements are not upset at Thrall for using magic in a duel. They're upset at Thrall because he called for their aid for a strictly personal matter. It was a selfish use of shamanistic power, and even then, they haven't abandoned Thrall entirely, he still displays a lot of magic in the scenario where you get the doomhammer, and shoots lightning and molten rocks left and right. They just don't answer to him as strongly as they did before.
    Last edited by Derah; 2016-08-09 at 07:36 AM.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    We think the elements cared but if you think about that doesn't make sense.

One, they had no reason to care if a member of the Iron Horde died considering the torture they were receiving.

Two, the elements of Azeroth have no connection to the ones on Dreanor. I think the entire problem with Thrall is he blames himself for everything and is punishing himself by not allowing the element's blessings to reach him.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Don't bring Kosaks lame ass bullshit shit into this
    not flaming at you, at all, its just that....... makes no god damn sense
    I understand no worry

10+ Year Old Account
    You think that if two shamans were challenged in mok'gora they would fistfight instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    We think the elements cared but if you think about that doesn't make sense.

One, they had no reason to care if a member of the Iron Horde died considering the torture they were receiving.

Two, the elements of Azeroth have no connection to the ones on Dreanor. I think the entire problem with Thrall is he blames himself for everything and is punishing himself by not allowing the element's blessings to reach him.
    There's this too.

In Azeroth we have the elemental spirits. In Draenor we have the elemental furies. Completely different things.

Your theory actually does make a lot of sense, if Thrall is suffering from PTSD or survivor's guilt, then he's handicapping himself out of his own shamanistic power. After all, shamanism requires balance, and peace of mind to properly use. Emotional turmoil makes it hard or downright impossible to do anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    The only rule in Mak'gora, is that the one being challenged sets the rules, and the one issuing the challenge has to obey them.
    Why do people keep saying this? Cairne wasn't dictating the rules, he was describing the traditional rules, which Garrosh called for, but was completely ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Why do people keep saying this? Cairne wasn't dictating the rules, he was describing the traditional rules, which Garrosh called for, but was completely ignorant.
    Where in my Post did I say Cairne was dictating the rules? Cairne challenged garrosh, and thus, garrosh was the one who dictated the rules.

That's how Mak'gora works. Its the same way as duels of honor worked in real life, the one being challenged was the one who could pick both the weapon, and the time and place of the duel. The one issuing the challenge then had to choose to either obey those rules, or back down from the challenge, besmirching his own honor and passing as a coward.