Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Can you explain me how blocking Poke Advisor is somehow going to "fix" their own game then? o.O;
    Sure, if people are using 3rd party sites that aren't advertised by the game itself, they are getting an unfair advantage over people who are playing the game as it is advertised. When people are storming about capping every gym in sight with 2800 Dragonites they found with Pokevision with great stats they sourced via Poke Advisor (disclaimer: never used it, if I'm wrong about how it works, fine, but if it shows you which of your dratini are going to have the best stats after the candy investment, thats a pretty big advantage over someone who can't see the hidden stats); then the whole gym battling part of the game is just a closed book to the "vanilla" player.

Like I said you're free to disagree, but until Niantic are saying "To get the most out of your pokemon, try visiting 3rd party sites such as:--" on their load in tips, then its an unfair advantage.

The whole argument is kinda moot, don't get me wrong But in a multiplayer competetive environment it shouldn't be about who datamines the servers for information the most.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    how many pokeballs will you guys waste on a not very good pokemon? just used 8 catching a 181 poliwag, and then after im thinking why did i bother? i really need to start limiting myself to 3 pokeballs per pokemon, unless its a good / rare one.
    Do you curveball every throw. I was using up to 10 balls on a pokemon much more often than I'd like so worked out how to land curveballs and now its down to maybe three times max they'll pop back out of the ball. *Could be gamblers fallacy making me biased I was salty af about the "escaped 8+ times" situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Sure, if people are using 3rd party sites that aren't advertised by the game itself, they are getting an unfair advantage over people who are playing the game as it is advertised. When people are storming about capping every gym in sight with 2800 Dragonites they found with Pokevision with great stats they sourced via Poke Advisor (disclaimer: never used it, if I'm wrong about how it works fine but if it shows you which of your dratini are going to have the best stats after the candy investment, thats a pretty big advantage over someone who can't see the hidden stats); then the whole gym battling part of the game is just a closed book to the "vanilla" player.

Like I said you're free to disagree, but until Niantic are saying "To get the most out of your pokemon, try visiting 3rd party sites such as:--" on their load in tips, then its an unfair advantage.

The whole argument is kinda moot, don't get me wrong But in a multiplayer competetive environment it shouldn't be about who datamines the servers for information the most.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you curveball every throw. I was using up to 10 balls on a pokemon much more often than I'd like so worked out how to land curveballs and now its down to maybe three times max they'll pop back out of the ball. *Cuold be gamblers fallacy making me biased I was salty af about the "escaped 8+ times" situations.
    does curveball actually increase catch rate? sometimes i just randomly get curveball when i just throw it normally, but i gave up trying to curveball, i wasted too many pokeballs even trying to work out how to do it

does curveball actually increase catch rate? sometimes i just randomly get curveball when i just throw it normally, but i gave up trying to curveball, i wasted too many pokeballs even trying to work out how to do it
    I can't say for sure, like I said I'm concerned that my own biases are making me want to believe its easier now; but yeah landing a curveball on a pokemon when the circle is 5mm or smaller (I use an S4 mini so not sure how the scale works on bigger screens) seems to catch the pokemon first time about half the time. With normal straight balls I would be surprised if it caught it first time. Now I am surprised if it doesn't. But I'm a dopey fuck so I might just be ignoring a lot of escapes

As for throwing/landing them, trace a circle with the ball, about 1-2 cm diameter ANTI CLOCKWISE, then when the time is right, aim for the right edge of your screen about level with the pokemon (depending on how far away it is, Zubats/Ponyta and other "far" pokemon you need to aim further up your screen but for most halfway seems right) as if you were just trying to throw the ball offscreen; and watch as it curves back and bonks the mon on the head. Usual rules apply if the pokemon takes a pop at you the ball will bounce off; and if they jump then its more likely to pass underneath/over the top than a straight throw; which can be frustrating.

You know when the ball is spinning because the graphic of the ball will change to have sort of "spin" lines around the edge. You probs seen that already but incase you hadn't check for them first so you know it will actually curve. Sometimes the ball is spinning under your finger but the lines arent' there yet so it isn't properly "spinning" yet...

Oh yeah, and it took me practice too before I was comfortable using Great or Ultra balls with it.

But as an example, I just caught while editing this post a 408 Pidgey with a normal ball, no Razz Berry, on the 4th try. May sound ass; but 408 CP is pretty baller for a Pidgey (at least in my experience) so I would normally have been using Great Balls and a Razz Berry before I even started to throw. And still anticipating at least one escape
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2016-08-09 at 04:08 PM.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    how many pokeballs will you guys waste on a not very good pokemon? just used 8 catching a 181 poliwag, and then after im thinking why did i bother? i really need to start limiting myself to 3 pokeballs per pokemon, unless its a good / rare one.
    Since I have a pokestop at work I can practically harvest all day I catch anything and everything that shows up near me I'm like a pokemon hoarder.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Since I have a pokestop at work I can practically harvest all day I catch anything and everything that shows up near me I'm like a pokemon hoarder.
    i work near charring cross, lots of pokestops around, just none within reach of my work D: however getting the bus back, i end up with 250-300 pokeballs by the end of that journey but the bus moves too fast for me to really catch anything

10+ Year Old Account
    From my quick glance at it, it looked as it Poke Advisor also used the API to grab character data about which Pokemon you had and whatnot so that it could work out the IVs for you. Probably less stress on the servers, but it still needed to download your character data. Unless you were inputting it all manually, which would take fucking days.

I'm at 145/145 now. I can focus on getting muh battlegirl medal now!
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

how many pokeballs will you guys waste on a not very good pokemon?
    12 candy Pokemon - as many normal and great balls as needed,
    25/50 candy Pokemon - 1 normal ball or 2-3 great balls if I need the Mon or want the candy.
    S tier Pokemon - as many ultra balls as needed.

You know? There's something quite interesting that I find about Pokemon Go.
    It has become so popular, at least where I'm at, that even people that I know never liked Pokemon, are playing it.
    My brother, for example, never liked Pokemon, yet now he's playing Pokemon Go.
    I'm not sure if I'll play it though, I'm a Pokemon fan (Even if I stopped playing after the 3rd generation), but I'm simply not sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    UGH. They changed the curveball physics once, and I got used to it, now they've changed them AGAIN and now I have to get used to them AGAIN.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by RoninaThorstone View Post
    Grats

Out of curiosity how many eggs did you hatch to get there?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Went to check on a gym today to find out they removed it ....... Yup screw them.

so the new tracker is in beta and only helps you find pokemon near pokestops. So if you live near zero pokestops you are screwed. Was it so hard to also keep the base function of the tracker?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Went to check on a gym today to find out they removed it ....... Yup screw them.
    What was it? They've been getting a lot of requests for removals from various places that were getting stupid pokemon players running into them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    so the new tracker is in beta and only helps you find pokemon near pokestops. So if you live near zero pokestops you are screwed. Was it so hard to also keep the base function of the tracker?
    There... is a base function tracker. The secondary tracker shows you pokemon + grass, the bigger the pokemon is the closer you are to it. The one with pokestops helps you get a good idea of what the pokemon is closest to, so it seems like if you're close to a different pokestop than the one the pokemon is listed being closest to, but it's big in the grass, you just need to go closer to the pokestop it says it's nearest to and it will appear.

Certainly more helpful than just the grass tracker.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I see no difference in size for pokemon, unless it's a pokemon naturally larger like a Pinsir compared to a Pidgey
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    What was it? They've been getting a lot of requests for removals from various places that were getting stupid pokemon players running into them.

- - - Updated - - -

There... is a base function tracker. The secondary tracker shows you pokemon + grass, the bigger the pokemon is the closer you are to it. The one with pokestops helps you get a good idea of what the pokemon is closest to, so it seems like if you're close to a different pokestop than the one the pokemon is listed being closest to, but it's big in the grass, you just need to go closer to the pokestop it says it's nearest to and it will appear.

Behind a hospital were they have never had an issue with people being there before. Its a popular kids only fishing area.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninaThorstone View Post
    Geez. Don't you need to travel internationally to get that many? I've never left my country, sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

All of them. I throw away regular poke balls more than anything else. Stardust is way more valuable of a resource, I never have enough of that. Even a pidgey is worth it (evolution xp aside). It puts those excess balls to use rather than trash to make room for more potions, which I do run low on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Geez. Don't you need to travel internationally to get that many? I've never left my country, sadly.

The region specific Pokémon can be hatched from eggs so you don't need to travel to get them.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

I haven't noticed this at all for the grass.

Also had a caterpie appear in front of me while it was still near the end of the list, instead of the top, so there goes thinking the order matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    The region specific Pokémon can be hatched from eggs so you don't need to travel to get them.
    Data from over 40 thousand eggs showed this to be false/very unlikely. Crowd sourcing the information showed not a single region specific spawn in 40k+ eggs, the reddit page was linked a page or two back.