Thread: No Man's Sky

10+ Year Old Account
    Space seems to be a bit too opaque, for instance it was a little hard to tell whether Jim had exited the atmosphere or not because the color of local space was the same as the planet's sky. I love the idea of colorful space -- makes the game more like the sci-fi book cover they want it to be -- but it seems to be a little too colorful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Fascinating when he speaks of leaving a planet and not feeling part of a huge universe. I've wondered for a while if the act of flying between planets/systems is actually an illusion of sorts and when you leave a planet you enter a small "lobby" area full of some asteroids, ships.. a space station or two.. and when you pick your next destination you sort of "load into" the next planet. I described it as almost like stepping into a portal in Minecraft and exploring the nether before using another portal to get back to the over world.. but miles away from where you originated. I mean it makes sense right? No video game could simulate a huge universe without some cleverness going on.. especially not on a limited hardware console system. So it's like [Planet A] -> [Space Lobby] -> [Planet B]

For example at 7:15 in that video.. it just feels staged to me.. an illusion. It always seems convenient that there is another planet right there. You're never alone in space from what I've seen in gameplay footage.
    I'm wondering if that could just be the limits of hardware? When you exit or enter a planet it does a cube <---> sphere conversion (or something like it, there was a video on it a while back), could just be the LoD having a bit of trouble catching up. I guess that shape conversion could be a lobby of sorts, the planet you land on isn't necessarily the same planet you were looking at.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    http://www.powerpyx.com/no-mans-sky-...et-atlas-pass/ indicates you should have sort of been guided to getting an atlas pass.
    I don't recall being guided through much of anything besides refueling my ship. Maybe it just bugged out for me. I haven't gotten a "quest" since it walked me through buying and selling on the trade hub

Edit: I did read there may be problems for people who redeemed their pre order ship. Maybe it threw off my quest line? I don't know..but shit I would hate to have to start over.
    Last edited by Shaede; 2016-08-09 at 06:50 PM.

Deleted
    Been watching CohhCarnage stream for 6 hours now, I'm not convinced by the looks of it. He's had the same purple-esque planets for his entire session and I've seen him do the same basic stuff all the time: gather, mine, rage at the horrible inventory management and repeat.

Still going to play it myself, but it looks a bit shallow to be fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Fascinating when he speaks of leaving a planet and not feeling part of a huge universe. I've wondered for a while if the act of flying between planets/systems is actually an illusion of sorts and when you leave a planet you enter a small "lobby" area full of some asteroids, ships.. a space station or two.. and when you pick your next destination you sort of "load into" the next planet. I described it as almost like stepping into a portal in Minecraft and exploring the nether before using another portal to get back to the over world.. but miles away from where you originated. I mean it makes sense right? No video game could simulate a huge universe without some cleverness going on.. especially not on a limited hardware console system. So it's like [Planet A] -> [Space Lobby] -> [Planet B]

For example at 7:15 in that video.. it just feels staged to me.. an illusion. It always seems convenient that there is another planet right there. You're never alone in space from what I've seen in gameplay footage.
    iirc you can actually physically fly to each planet but it would take hours. Which falls into the line of you're probably crazy sitting there flying for 4 hours to go to a planet.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticHound View Post
    i like the game but two glaring problems I have: The limited storage space, that needs to serve as upgrade space and storage space, is frustrating as hell. I'm spending half the game deciding what to discard so I can pick up more stuff I'll eventually discard for more stuff...

And all of these locked doors requiring an atlas pass, which I have no idea how to obtain, seem over the top and hinders exploring at this point. With a galaxy so big, the chances of me returning to these locked doors once I find whatever correct version of an atlas pass they need is slim to none. Which brings the question, whats the point of locking so many doors?

I'm enjoying the seamless planet to planet travel, and walking around discovering stuff is pretty fun. That inventory space is a real killer tho for enjoyment. That's just something I shouldn't need to worry about so often in a game like this, serving as a punisher for going on big exploration treks.
    I think the inventory mechanic is in place the way it is to prevent players from 'hunkering down'. At first I really hated it as well but once you set about prioritizing what you want to do or build and what you actually need to get from here to there (not just picking up everything under the sun along the way) it is no problem to work with.

A couple players crossed paths and apparently couldn't see each other in game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...yer_seriously/

I kind of suspected this would be the case. Why invest resources in making this happen when the chances of it occurring were apparently so low.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post

I kind of suspected this would be the case. Why invest resources in making this happen when the chances of it occurring were apparently so low.
    Apparently not that low if it happened on launch day.

Also, flies in the face of everything Sean has said on the topic so far. Curious as to what the response from Hello Games will be. Will they blame it on a bug or is this intentional and they were misleading folks the whole time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Game looks a bit of an entry-level Elite to me.

The biggest plus it could have - planetary exploration - seems to be cut short by their own intentions and the systems used. Where to begin? Planets are not balls with the same biome spread all over the place. If it's all the same then exploration is going to be as exciting as travelling with the Mako over endless planes was in ME1, however as a game it's not enough. There's no pole caps, tropical zones, or anything else that would suggest that planets harbouring life possess some latitudinal diversity gradients like you would expect. Instead they look like some re-seeded version of the same algorithm. This in my opinion puts a lot of pressure on the fun and replay factor of the game.

I couldn't play it anyway with the computer being a bit too old. If I could then I'd wait for a hefty price cut at least.
    I really don't see why they couldn't have multiple biomes on a planet... hell, minecraft does it arbitrarily and it works out alright.

Biomes all operate on parameters determined by latitude, altitude, and rainfall... I don't see why they couldn't stick that into the code as well.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Also, flies in the face of everything Sean has said on the topic so far. Curious as to what the response from Hello Games will be. Will they blame it on a bug or is this intentional and they were misleading folks the whole time?
    One of them didn't have PSN+ (which isn't required to play the game with online connections) so I wonder if there is a bug with that. Or if it takes a while. Though it is curious how their day/night cycles were not in sync until the other one signed up for PSN+. I hope it is a bug because it would be cool to at least see a person. We will have to see what the devs say if they even address it. Still not something I'd stop buying the game for since "multiplayer" was such a small focus for me (and the game) anyways.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post

Yikes; This is looking to be pure gold.

Deleted
    I've been watching streams and it looks VERY repetitive.

Looks like a reduced price will come sooner than later.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one not uoset by any if this? I got the game to treat as a single player space exploration game.

To take it easy and relax with.

I feel alot if people are blowing all this out if proportion

7+ Year Old Account
    Is it just me or does this game seem lackluster in content?

Quote Originally Posted by nvn View Post
    I've been watching streams and it looks VERY repetitive.
    Yeah, was watching Summit play it earlier and he got the same green looking atmosphere on almost every planet he went on for the first hour or so. Seems like this game would be cool to play for a little, but once you play it for more than a few days it gets boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't look bad but doesn't look $60 good.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Am I the only one not uoset by any if this? I got the game to treat as a single player space exploration game.

I don't really care about multiplayer from a gameplay perspective, it just makes the developer appear very shady. He said in the past you would be able to meet up and see other players in game. He never provided any update that this wasn't actually possible, just a vague statement that you should consider this single player since you probably won't ever meet someone. The cynic in me feels like he was being intentionally vague, which makes me not want to give him my money. Maybe he is just a poor communicator. /shrug

We are one day after the release and after watching mamy streams and some reddit threads all my concerns came true:
    - repetetivness of assets;
    - no multi at all, which hints at non-trustworthy devs, considering how the talked about meeting with others that the chance is almost impossible and yet players tried to do that but they couldnt see each other while stamding at the same place on the same planet;
    - no real randomness, beacuse there is no real randomness in the programming, each algorithm has to take some data in order to randomly generate something and almost everone was playing on very similar planets, the whole 18 quintilion and "each player will have different planet" ruined simply because you cant humanly test such function with 20 testers, you need at least hundreads of thousands to check the repetetivness of the experience and even then it could be not enough for 18 quintilion possibilities. Eh. It would be better to just have 5000 to 1 mln possible planets.

Proper reddit threads:and one article:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...celling_my_pc/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...see-each-other

And you raged and attacked me. Shame.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-08-10 at 12:57 AM.

Its a procedurally generated sandbox that lets you get in a ship and move through lots of 3d space filled with nothing. I expected some backlash when i saw comments online going "omg literally in tears, this is the next step in videogames" as though we saw different trailers but i still didnt expect the backlash on this level when all the complaints are exactly what the game is to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post

Well, it's an example of a feature not making it to the final game. I mean, I don't really care but it is a fine thing to be upset about.

Edit: It is silly to call the dev untrustworthy for it as they also said that NMS is definitely not multiplayer several times (most recently just yesterday), but it's fine to be wary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its a procedurally generated sandbox that lets you get in a ship and move through lots of 3d space filled with nothing. I expected some backlash when i saw comments online going "omg literally in tears, this is the next step in videogames" as though we saw different trailers but i still didnt expect the backlash on this level when all the complaints are exactly what the game is to begin with.
    Most complaints I've seen are on the inventory management -- similarity between planets has varied between person to person which makes me think it might be play style differences. Jim Sterling said that animals all look the same but planets vary nicely in color, while others stated pretty much the opposite. That said, NMS has limits, far, far, below the 2^64 mark.

Game still looks good to me :P Excited to play it on the 12th (or rather the 13th because slow internet).

Edit: My main complaint of the game from reading early impression reviews and watching people play is that the UI seems to actively fight the player to stop exploration. All of those icons might give you better stuff, but it just doesn't look fun to hop from landmark to landmark (and there is that annoying, ever-present pop-up on the bottom right corner). That search for underwater caves and strange creatures should be encouraged more. Doubt my opinion on that will change when I play, but I'll see.
    Last edited by Tryuk; 2016-08-10 at 02:26 AM.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions