Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Alliance vs Horde wounds reopened over a misunderstanding?

Spoilers etc

I know there's already a thread with the prepatch cinematics and stuff but that's sort of all over the place with hundreds of different topics being addressed.

I wanted to ask isn't it just stupid that "For Azeroth" means nothing now over a stupid misunderstanding? The Alliance perspective obviously doesn't show the Horde warchief being stabbed in the stomach and therefore needing to retreat. It's understandable the Horde would have to retreat.

But the Alliance don't know that at this stage. They think they're just being cowards and running away which is not true. Do the Alliance not think to maybe ask Sylvanas wtf that was all about before going at each others throats again in Legion?

I understand Alliance vs Horde is a mandatory part of gameplay and they have to shoehorn the conflict in somewhere but this is just badly done in my opinion. I don't know, maybe it's just me who thinks this could've gone a lot better with betrayals and real drama instead of a literal camera angle misunderstanding.

7+ Year Old Account
    you must keep the PVP going on, this is a H vs A game
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The alliance vs horde thing has always been shit and playground levels of childish in its formulaic pattern of making up reasons for both sides to hate each other, plots that would make most kids cartoons look mature in comparison.

This is just a very bland aspect of the story now, because we all know the story comes second to gameplay, the story is woven around the limited gameplay mechanics, so it doesn't surprise anyone anymore.

This is why I think Illidan was brought back and the illidari is essentially an offshot faction, because only characters that don't operate within the faction setting have any interesting story left in them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by steelballfc View Post
    you must keep the PVP going on, this is a H vs A game
    So you ignored the part where I said I understand A vs H gameplay is fundamental to the game but that doesn't excuse bad writing and could've been done in a better way?

I guess you did ignore that. Thanks for your fruitful contribution.

Just because your leader is wounded or killed in battle, is not reason to flee the battle entirely and leave your allies with no support, support which they rely on.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Those two already hate the Horde and just love this excuse to fight them.
    kind of like the playerbase themselves. This is why I hate Jaina so much now, because she's now just a reflection of the playerbase how it stands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiea View Post
    Just because your leader is wounded or killed in battle, is not reason to flee the battle entirely and leave your allies with no support, support which they rely on.
    Not sure how much you know about warfare buddy but most battles where the King dies have almost always resulted in retreat/abandonment throughout history. Cutting off the head of the body leaves a spasming aimless mass of nothing intelligent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    kind of like the playerbase themselves. This is why I hate Jaina so much now, because she's now just a reflection of the playerbase how it stands.
    Jaina is a good character but let's not go down that road. Why isn't she fighting at the broken shore??? Where is she in all this?

Lok'tar Ogar, Victory or Death! (except when its a convenient way to fuck over our enemy)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinsla View Post

Jaina is a good character but let's not go down that road. Why isn't she fighting at the broken shore??? Where is she in all this?
    On tumblr complaining about the horde patriarchy?

I think it was done this way on purpose. Lately through MoP and WoD the lines between Alliance and Horde have been blurred. At the end of the day the game is still called World of Warcraft. This turmoil between the factions has to persist and made more prominent.

The alliance will see the horde as betrayers and the horde will see the alliance as overzealous and got their warchief killed.

Genn, Sylvanas, Jaina etc all have problems with the other faction and they can't be put to the side because we need to beat the big bad. It's interesting story and builds more community in the factions.

I really like the conflict growing and can't wait to see what Sylvanas and Jaina do next.

attacking an enemy without the backup of your own archers is stupid, everyone who has played any strategy game knows this, Varyan is supposed to be a master strategist, yet somehow he forgot that

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i think its a little late in the games cycle to expect riveting and top notch story. not that it was ever really captivating but to me its just been a half assed thing for several expansions. i wanted to play again during WoD because i heard the leveling was quite good but i read about the majority of it and realized that was more efficient than spending $65 for a couple hours enjoyment.

depending on how the quality turns out for legion i might pick the game up when its half off later on down the line just to see the story but i wont be expecting best seller writing either lol

This is how it always is. Logically, we should be uneasy allies at this point (and should have been since WOTLK, at least), but AvH continues to shit on the where the entire lore was headed after WC3.

If anything, they should just rename what PVP is, or something, to make it sound like we're not actually killing one another, and then let the two factions finally ally like they're obviously supposed to be.

Hell, if they did that, there's some really cool things they could do, they could add a third faction or something of "betrayers" or something.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiea View Post
    not just vol'jin was wounded, goodness people, if you want to discuss something then at least pay attention.
    in the cinematic we saw baine struggling against demons, thrall beaten and crawling tryint to get to his doomhammer and vol'jin wounded, the last people standing where sylvanas and her archers.
    they had to retreat, in the fastest way possible, or they would become demon food.

- - - Updated - - -

im pretty sure i saw her with her wings and hooves somewhere in the demon masses

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    attacking an enemy without the backup of your own archers is stupid, everyone who has played any strategy game knows this, Varyan is supposed to be a master strategist, yet somehow he forgot that
    He did have archers. Until they retreated. He didn't forget anything, what are you talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echoic01 View Post
    I think it was done this way on purpose. Lately through MoP and WoD the lines between Alliance and Horde have been blurred. At the end of the day the game is still called World of Warcraft. This turmoil between the factions has to persist and made more prominent
    I hate this argument.

Yes, it's world of WARcraft. War with the Legion. The Old Gods. Everything trying to destroy Azeroth. Not each other, we're past that by now.

7+ Year Old Account
    He did have archers. Until they retreated. He didn't forget anything, what are you talking about?
    those archers were sylvanas's archers, not his.
    i love varian, but he did a poor job making up a plan.

Formerly known as Arafal

Varian should have sounded his own retreat the moment Gul'dan summoned Tichondrius and all them. He's an idiot for staying to fight and his death is his own fault. Sylvanas made the right call and saved her people.

Deleted
    wow! what a nice emo sounding title! I still have much to learn!

it is as it should be, hopefuly-impossiblebecauseofwritingreasonsandglobalagendateeheehoho- one day one of the factions will wipe out the other one. I don't know magical weapon working on a dna level, I have no idea but I would like to see full obliteration, some old school exterminatus mode. war, war, more war!

Deleted
    A fractured relationship between Horde and the Alliance gives the writers far more to play with

The two factions should never share a city and never be allies. It goes against the spirit of the game. Hell races should have tension between them in each faction, the UD plague tension in Horde is some of the most memorable stuff from Cataclysm, while everything else is a dull drag.

It's an extremely forced conflict, yes, and even if Jaina/Genn are dreadlords, then it's still forced. It's blatantly obvious that Sylvanas had to retreat, Thrall was on his face, Vol'jin was dead and there were hundreds of demons wrecking her rear flank. They were all dead if they had stayed.

So ya, it's just Genn/Jaina being utterly stupid and/or suicidal, or they're dreadlords. Terrible writing.