Thread: No Man's Sky

Does anyone know if it can be played using a HOTAS on PC?

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Looks like a reduced price will come sooner than later.
    Evolve is still full price isn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post
    Most complaints I've seen are on the inventory management -- similarity between planets has varied between person to person which makes me think it might be play style differences. Jim Sterling said that animals all look the same but planets vary nicely in color, while others stated pretty much the opposite. That said, NMS has limits, far, far, below the 2^64 mark.
    Well, it's like I've said... the animals might technically be different, but does an eight-legged red fishdog look that much different from a green six-legged fishdog?

The problem with 2^64 randomization is that 2^63.999 of that all looks very similar to itself.

Frankly I think they should have just gone the full Spore route. Make it so people can make their own shit. Design your own spaceships, creatures, plants, planets, the whole nine yards... That sort of thing has kept minecraft alive, and Spore was a great concept at its foundation. A lot of people were expecting a more serious product out of Spore; this very well could have given it to them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    That's fairly damning considering what has gone down in the last 24 hours. Wow.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well, it's like I've said... the animals might technically be different, but does an eight-legged red fishdog look that much different from a green six-legged fishdog?
    Yes. The same any other game where two swords are still sword but look different. Or a helm is still a helm but slightly different. Why is it that NMS is judge for having variations but every other game is not? No game has truly unique skins and models for everything there is. If anyone thought that there would be no repetitiveness then they were delusional. It has never been billed as such or said to have little repetitiveness.

Of course things will be similar and different. Even if they spent the entire time of development creating art assets you would still have the same similarities.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Yes. The same any other game where two swords are still sword but look different. Or a helm is still a helm but slightly different. Why is it that NMS is judge for having variations but every other game is not? No game has truly unique skins and models for everything there is. If anyone thought that there would be no repetitiveness then they were delusional. It has never been billed as such or said to have little repetitiveness.

Of course things will be similar and different. Even if they spent the entire time of development creating art assets you would still have the same similarities.
    The problem is when you start to see 200 fishdogs of slightly varying colors on 200 different planets.

At some point, you get tired of staring at fishdogs.

And the sword thing is a bit different. Presumably, the swords were made by people with thought in mind. Thought you can see and appreciate.

Procedurally generated stuff is just... computer code.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2016-08-10 at 04:23 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is when you start to see 200 fishdogs of slightly varying colors on 200 different planets.

At some point, you get tired of staring at fishdogs.
    That just makes the rare gigantic dogsquirrelsnake so much better :P
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post
    That just makes the rare gigantic dogsquirrelsnake so much better :P
    Yeah but is the occasional dogsquirrelsnake worth slogging through 200 fishdogs?
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but is the occasional dogsquirrelsnake worth slogging through 200 fishdogs?
    Depends on if you (the player) were to consider it a slog or not. Which is probably one reason why there is such a divide between people who like the game and those who don't
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

I'm glad this shit came out before the PC release. Lying sack of shit. Got my refund.

I'm honestly finding the game really boring... and I ain't a fan of how tiny the inventory is --- spending far more time juggling between materials then I am actually playing the game. <_<;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    I'm honestly finding the game really boring... and I ain't a fan of how tiny the inventory is --- spending far more time juggling between materials then I am actually playing the game. <_<;
    good thing they made the inventory bigger with the day 1 patch.

Before that, materials only stacked to 100 and not 500..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Evolve is still full price isn't it?
    nope. switched to F2P with lots of store purchases
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    Oh dayum, did the number of people playing go up at all? It really wasn't terrible... if they could have fixed the endless chases I could justify buying a few things I suppose. It's a shame it ended up the way it did, sort of like NMS is right now I guess. Good thing we have Deus Ex coming on the 23rd.

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    good thing they made the inventory bigger with the day 1 patch.

Before that, materials only stacked to 100 and not 500..
    Would be nice if things like them Gel Energy Cells and crafted components stacked too... instead of a slot each. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Oh dayum, did the number of people playing go up at all? It really wasn't terrible... if they could have fixed the endless chases I could justify buying a few things I suppose. It's a shame it ended up the way it did, sort of like NMS is right now I guess. Good thing we have Deus Ex coming on the 23rd.
    i dont know really. i played before the change but got rather pissed when they switched to f2p . i mean they gave people stuff that bought the game and more so if you bought the special editions. but it left a bad taste in my mouth
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    Unless something changed and nobody said anything, there is currently no functional cash shop in the game. All characters/skins are purchased with in-game currency and you cannot use real money to purchase said currency.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Unless something changed and nobody said anything, there is currently no functional cash shop in the game. All characters/skins are purchased with in-game currency and you cannot use real money to purchase said currency.
    Only because it's still in "beta"

once they launch the complete version there will be an in-game cash shop

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Would be nice if things like them Gel Energy Cells and crafted components stacked too... instead of a slot each. :/
    Yep, i doubt it will be long before they patch it and make them stack to like 10 or so.
    the number one complaint atm seems to be inventory space, aside the huge amount of people dissapointed in the game because they expected more than they were told and shown.

So after having no hype for NMS since it was announced and then starting to look into it in the last week and inevitably building hype... I've been reading around everywhere, Reddit's a shitstorm right now in every NMS thread. From the devs acting like dicks on twitter and all the info that's been put out I've decided to skip NMS and buy Elite Dangerous instead.

The entire reason I'd began building hype for NMS was for the space flight itself. I've been a HUGE fan of astronomy for as long as I can remember and was really looking forward to flying through unique galaxies and solar systems. NMS doesn't look to be that game though. What with that reviewers comments about not feeling like you're flying through the universe and the visuals themselves, as in the strange almost fog like look of space when in a solar system I don't think NMS is what I'm looking for.

NMS did do one thing for me though, made me realize how very badly I want to play a proper space sim. Elite Dangerous may not be perfect but I've watched enough videos to know that the space travel is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'll still hold out hope that maybe they can salvage this situation and turn NMS into an awesome game but it's hard to tell anymore how a game is going to turn out until there's reliable reviews out.