Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    Both my friend and I have Windows 10, I have an SSD, he does not. We have the same system specs for the most part aside from our video cards. My games load quicker, especially when there's loading times. He's envious of my load times. To me, SSD's are noticeable and worth it if you like speed. Don't led these turds who say otherwhise steer you in a different direction. If you want to load in games quicker, get an SSD. They're noticeable.
    My wife and I have identical rigs with only one difference. I few months after building them, I added an SSD to mine. With Windows 10, there is in fact a noticeable difference in boot times, though not near as severe. In games, it really depends on the game. Some games there is no difference at all and other games a very large and noticeable difference.

As for if it's worth it, that really comes down to a case by case basis. Some people make it sound like they are 100% completely mandatory in any build and if you don't have one you should get one immediately. Other people make it sound like they are absolutely unnecessary and not needed at all. The truth is somewhere in the middle. In most cases, yeah, getting one is really nice, if it fits in the budget. If you need more space than they offer because you store a lot of stuff, then you still need a standard HDD and if adding the cost of an SSD breaks your budget or causes you to have to sacrifice elsewhere in your build, it's not worth it. If you do your build and a few months later want to add an SSD, it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    My wife and I have identical rigs with only one difference. I few months after building them, I added an SSD to mine. With Windows 10, there is in fact a noticeable difference in boot times, though not near as severe. In games, it really depends on the game. Some games there is no difference at all and other games a very large and noticeable difference.

As for if it's worth it, that really comes down to a case by case basis. Some people make it sound like they are 100% completely mandatory in any build and if you don't have one you should get one immediately. Other people make it sound like they are absolutely unnecessary and not needed at all. The truth is somewhere in the middle. In most cases, yeah, getting one is really nice, if it fits in the budget. If you need more space than they offer because you store a lot of stuff, then you still need a standard HDD and if adding the cost of an SSD breaks your budget or causes you to have to sacrifice elsewhere in your build, it's not worth it. If you do your build and a few months later want to add an SSD, it's worth it.

Yeah good post man. I agree. It's not entirely NEEDED, and I agree, the truth is in the middle. Personally, after experiencing HD's for many years and making the transition to SSD's, I won't go back, even if they're more expensive. Personally, it's worth the price difference even though its load times, to me, I enjoy the speed difference. And you're right again, some things load quickly while others load exactly the same. But the ones that do load quicker, are noticeably quicker. My boot time for my computer I'd say is less than 10 seconds, where my friends computer who isn't using an SSD is more like 30-45 seconds(according to him)

Personally, with how cheap ssds are right now, I won't do a build without one as the boot device. Even for simple builds, the speed increase you get from just basic usage is worth it. It's nice for boot times but the real value comes with the responsiveness of your system WHILE it's running.

For gaming I think the benefits are minor, but for everything else it's a night and day difference.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    Personally, with how cheap ssds are right now, I won't do a build without one as the boot device. Even for simple builds, the speed increase you get from just basic usage is worth it. It's nice for boot times but the real value comes with the responsiveness of your system WHILE it's running.

For gaming I think the benefits are minor, but for everything else it's a night and day difference.
    Some of the people here will tell you its a waste on an SSD but will also tell you in the same breath that the minor boost from an mechanical keyboard is NEEDED!!!

But you are spot on.