Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksen View Post
    Jim Sterling's review: http://www.thejimquisition.com/no-mans-sky-review/

Seems like his website is down, but it's up on OpenCritic: http://opencritic.com/game/2393/no-mans-sky?tab=1

5/10... And wow, that quote is pretty savage
    5/10 isn't awful though unless being average is awful. I've seen a few people who are enjoying it and its probably the base for a pretty okay game if they keep up work on it. That said, I'm personally not sold on it so I'm waiting till a sale (to where I feel it'll be closer to the value I'd put on it for me personally) which'll give plenty of time for further updates. I don't expect every game to be a blockbuster though and an average game is probably going to be just that, average. Of course, games are apparently failures if they're not 9/10.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Starbound is similar to No Man's Sky in certain ways, isn't it? I know that Starboud doesn't have the 12030120412030120304592391293129389237512837233891237'13892384712834783458912738912374897d f89g789r7dshvjksdncjkhsdkdu12lejweio8e4901248894e78r923jviosdjd89023ur89u89eu2uivh349ev 8 237 89 planets that NMS has, but the concept is pretty similar, at least in my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    i dont know really. i played before the change but got rather pissed when they switched to f2p . i mean they gave people stuff that bought the game and more so if you bought the special editions. but it left a bad taste in my mouth
    I lost all my elite skins (was only two, but I worked my ass off for them). That pissed me the fuck off to the point of my never going back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

It is a niche game, you have to at least enjoy grinds somewhat, I collect grinds and simply jump between them, some are fun, but finding the perfect grind is really the goal, like a cats never ending quest to find the most comfortable place to sleep.

I was on the fence and read they are working on base building and the ability to get freighters, well was enough to entice me.

A lot of the negativity is kinda warranted i think, the guy basically did come flat out and say a bunch of times that it was multiplayer and ppl are super pissed that its not. I personally saw from the beginning that it was going to be a single player focused game and was hoping it would have a depth level somewhere between the x series and elite. I don't know if ill like it, I liked elite but found it to be lacking somewhat, hopefully this is more of a fuller experience in terms of exploration it should be much better.

if ppl are finding the game bland then perhaps it has just been designed with longevity in mind, i'm interested to see what the culmination of effort amounts to but there we go.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the changes made to Elite: Dangerous I personally may just pick that up instead. Infinite planets just with a palette swap may bore me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The problem is when you start to see 200 fishdogs of slightly varying colors on 200 different planets.

At some point, you get tired of staring at fishdogs.

And the sword thing is a bit different. Presumably, the swords were made by people with thought in mind. Thought you can see and appreciate.

Procedurally generated stuff is just... computer code.
    Do you have pics of the 200 fishdogs you've seen? Did you see them all on consecutive planets or have you visited thousands and found a fishdog every 10 worlds or so?

I think almost everyone loves the idea of "infinite content" and the idea of discovering an infinite variety of procedurally created worlds and creatures.

Spore had similar ideas, similar hype, and what will probably be similarly limited success.

It's just really hard to get infinite *interesting* variety out of finite algorithms.

As a result you end up with "planets that are all entirely different, but in exactly the same way".

There are going to be people who love the game, and people who are very disappointed in it. But I think it will be virtually impossible for people in one group to convince the people in the other group that they're wrong. So there will be lots of arguing over it but in the end it wont really make any difference.

I'd love for it to be fun, and after 6-12 months of patches and going on sale for 50% I'll probably pick it up to experience it. I just fear that at the moment I will get bored way sooner than $60 worth.

Well I never bought into the hype, my opinion has always been that it seems like a neat game. So I will rent it and If I enjoy it I will buy it then (guess I should be glad we even have this option in Canada lol).

Deleted
    Played a few hours on PS4, and as expected I love the game. It fills a niche in my gaming that Hearthstone used to occupy - something a bit more laid back and of little consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post

Edit: I will say though that being vague is probably not the best choice he could have made, to put it lightly.
    You got to give him props for being consistent, though. The entire development cycle they have been vague...about just about everything.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    After a day with this game, I'd say only two things are stopping it from being perfect.

1. Would be nice to build some sort of beacon/anchor in your favorite systems so you can always warp to them, like a Mass Relay from Mass Effect. Expensive so you have to think very hard about where to put them.

2. A bigger, home base like ship, possibly customizable. A place to go that recharges all your ship, suit, and multi-tool tech and displays trophies of where you've been, and best of all SOME FREAKING BULK STORAGE. I feel like this game is a giant camping trip, since I'm always having to hunt for resources. It would be nice if that's the case when I land on a planet, I set up a little camp around my ship, and go explore the world. After I have my fill of a planet I can return to home base and rest after my journey. Right now the whole entire game makes me feel like I'm out in the wilderness as opposed to only when I go planetside. A home base to return to would fix a lot of that.

I wonder if people noticed that Weight and Height labels are misplaced when you scan an animal :P All the time you see:
    Weight 1.90m
    Height 85kg
    etc
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-08-10 at 08:57 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if people noticed your posting pattern
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Do you have pics of the 200 fishdogs you've seen? Did you see them all on consecutive planets or have you visited thousands and found a fishdog every 10 worlds or so?
    I'm saying it's an inevitability of procedural generation.

You start to see the underlying pieces that make everything up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    And? 200 swords of slighty varying colors is still 200 swords of slightly varying colors. Why does it matter if it was Procedural generated or created by a Human? It is still 200 of X that is slightly different.
    Because presumably there was a reason those 200 swords are 200 different colors. Though I'm not sure what game, specifically, you're referring to that has 200 different recolored swords all passed off as "different" swords.

The only reason some procedurally generated animal is 200 different colors is because the random number generator spat it out. There's no reason for it to be blue or purple or pink or whatever. It just is.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    I think almost everyone loves the idea of "infinite content" and the idea of discovering an infinite variety of procedurally created worlds and creatures.

Spore had similar ideas, similar hype, and what will probably be similarly limited success.

It's just really hard to get infinite *interesting* variety out of finite algorithms.

As a result you end up with "planets that are all entirely different, but in exactly the same way".

There are going to be people who love the game, and people who are very disappointed in it. But I think it will be virtually impossible for people in one group to convince the people in the other group that they're wrong. So there will be lots of arguing over it but in the end it wont really make any difference.

I'd love for it to be fun, and after 6-12 months of patches and going on sale for 50% I'll probably pick it up to experience it. I just fear that at the moment I will get bored way sooner than $60 worth.
    This quotable piece of text here is exactly why I held off on buying NMS despite my friends hyping it up. Procedural generation isn't fun to me. You aren't getting infinite planets and infinite exploration out of NMS, you're getting 10 billion planets of slight variation with no real changes to how you go about playing the game. It immediately reminded me of Spore which to me was a colossal failure. Sure, there was infinite planets and monsters, but so what? The game treated each and every one exactly the same.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they flat out lied about the game having multiplayer.

knew this dev couldn't be trusted

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing quite a bit since launch and I'd honestly give it a 5/10 so far.

Inventory is a progression mechanic. The more you have the more you can carry, craft, and customize. The game doesn't really open up till you overcome this obstacle imho.

If you are blessed by the RNG gods you can get a run speed and jet pack upgrade but it still feels like you are moving way too slow compared to most video games out there. Moving at the actual speed of an astronaut (or slightly faster) isn't fun in a video game.

Why am I so fucking short in this game? Even my 7 y/o daughter wants to know how to stand up and stop crawling. Everything seems to be above eye level.

I've been to planets that have no extremes but it still drains your life support within a few minutes. I've been to super hot planets with a radiation storm going on and had my life support last longer...weird.

Why are all the fights with the sentinels the fucking same over and over again? The flying ones show up and are just bullet sponges. The ones on the ground come out of nowhere and their lasers can clip through just about anything to hit you. Just having them spawn 10 feet away whenever I pick up a gravitino orb isn't a fun or interesting mechanic.

Deleted
    So is there any word/confirmation about whether there is any true mulitplayer? the game seems interesting but the part that had me the most interested was the fact that you could casually run into another player on your journey despite the chance being very low according to the devs. but now it seems that even if I did pass another player, i'd have no idea of it since I can't see or interact with them in any way? only see their name on a nearby planet that they've discovered?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The only reason some procedurally generated animal is 200 different colors is because the random number generator spat it out. There's no reason for it to be blue or purple or pink or whatever. It just is.
    So? There isn't a game that has 200 hand created swords. Well there might be but it is just an example. Why does it matter that they are not handcrafted or that the differences exist because code created the differences. You are honestly saying that 200 fish dogs hand created by an artist would be more acceptable then 200 fish dogs created by lines of code?

There is still a reason why there are 200 slightly different fish dogs. Because they are intended to be slightly different so they are not the same. The same reason why a game like WoW has different sword models, or different boss models, or different any model. The same reason why any game uses different models then a previously released game. To be different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    I wonder if people noticed that Weight and Height labels are misplaced when you scan an animal :P All the time you see:
    Weight 1.90m
    Height 85kg
    etc
    Must only be an occasional bug then, or they already fixed it.

https://www.nmsorigins.com/discovery...db419707dc6768 doesn't have them misplaced.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So? There isn't a game that has 200 hand created swords. Well there might be but it is just an example. Why does it matter that they are not handcrafted or that the differences exist because code created the differences. You are honestly saying that 200 fish dogs hand created by an artist would be more acceptable then 200 fish dogs created by lines of code?
    An artist wouldn't make 200 different fish dogs. They'd probably make 200 different animals. It'd take them far longer than the seconds it takes a computer to churn out fish dogs, but you'd get 200 different things.

More simply put, if you tell an artist "make x number of animal designs" they're probably going to give you x number of unique things, given enough time to do so.

You tell a computer to make x number of animal designs, it'll give it to you in minutes, but there's no control for how different or similar those things are. You're going to wind up with a lot of the same looking thing.

200 models of the same sword in random spots around, say, Skyrim isn't really a problem, even if they had some skin-randomizing feature, because the point of skyrim is not about collecting or finding swords. It has a story and inumerable other aspects.

The point of no man's sky is exploration. So that takes a pretty big hit if the stuff you're exploring isn't actually noticeably different.

There is still a reason why there are 200 slightly different fish dogs. Because they are intended to be slightly different so they are not the same. The same reason why a game like WoW has different sword models, or different boss models, or different any model. The same reason why any game uses different models then a previously released game. To be different.
    Yeah, but if Arthas looked like Illidan with his horns pointing backwards instead of forwards and with red hair instead of black, people would probably feel that was a pretty lame-ass attempted distinction, despite the fact that they are technically different.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.