Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Solid Monitor - Legion

Hey everyone,
    Was looking for some input on strong monitors. I am not necessarily up to date on monitors as the last I purchased was five years ago. The PC I am using has a GTX 1070 graphics card. I plan on staying at 1920x1080p for the time being but have no preference on monitor size. Ideally looking for 1ms response and hz high enough to support the card (120-144?). I keep hearing about g-sync monitors but still am not 100% as to how needed they are. Again, any input would be awesome. Thanks for the help!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey there. What's your budget?

If you ever step up in resolution (You should consider it with a 1070) I can recommend the ASUS Mg279Q. 27", 1440p and 144hz. The price is a bit steep but I haven't regretted my purchase.

This is the gold standard of 1080 144hz panels, on sale now too:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824014384

May I know whats your budget ?

Using a BenQ RL2755HM (its 60hz) though the price tag is pretty sweet.Got it for about 260USD. Check it out if you can!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    I can recommend the ASUS Mg279Q. 27", 1440p and 144hz. The price is a bit steep but I haven't regretted my purchase.
    Be aware that freesync does not cooperate with Nvidia GFX cards.

Been thinking about a monitor myself for well over a year now since I still use this: Benq G2222HDL but the whole IPS backlight bleed issues and the idiotic G-Sync/Freesync war have scared me off any purchase.

Not to mention the upcoming HDR stuff.

Deleted
    I got the acer 27" just a week ago. Its not cheap but i hot very lucky with qc and its pretty stunning.

10+ Year Old Account
    For budget was aiming for around $250 tops unless something is just amazing for a little more. Mainly just trying to know what hz I should be aiming for with a 1070.

Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah View Post
    For budget was aiming for around $250 tops unless something is just amazing for a little more. Mainly just trying to know what hz I should be aiming for with a 1070.
    Depends on what games you are playing. If talking about WoW, don't bother with 144hz because as soon as you hit a CPU bound situation, your FPS will tank to near or below 60, so the 144hz is wasted. If you play a lot of other games, then it may be worth it, depending on the game, if the 1070 is enough to keep it above 144FPS.

You definitely need a 144hz monitor for a GTX 1070 - anything past 60fps on a regular 60hz monitor is almost pointless.

Barebone 144hz $268.99: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-...qid=1470845378

Gsync $399.99: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator...qid=1470845670

If you are interested in Gsync, you must use a monitor that specifically states that it supports it - not freesync or just adaptive sync. Gsync is a nice feature, but not 100% necessary - if your budget is $250, then I wouldn't worry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Depends on what games you are playing. If talking about WoW, don't bother with 144hz because as soon as you hit a CPU bound situation, your FPS will tank to near or below 60, so the 144hz is wasted. If you play a lot of other games, then it may be worth it, depending on the game, if the 1070 is enough to keep it above 144FPS.
    This is so wrong, do not listen to this. While a higher refresh rate isn't as advantageous in a MMO as say, a FPS, it's still a night and day difference in fluidity. I don't know what kind of pc the guy who posted this has, but I have a 4930k @ 4ghz and only a gtx 970, and my FPS rarely goes down to even 60 at high settings. The only time it does is in extreme situations such as the new legion invasions. During normal PvP/raiding/questing/etc, I'm always hovering around 85-120+ and the higher refresh rate is EXTREMELY noticeable. As long as you're maintaining above 60fps, you're going to see a difference. If you have a gtx 1070, your FPS will be very high in WoW and you'll take full advantage of a 144hz monitor.
    Last edited by Ickz; 2016-08-10 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    This is so wrong, do not listen to this. While a higher refresh rate isn't as advantageous in a MMO as say, a FPS, it's still a night and day difference in fluidity. I don't know what kind of pc the guy who posted this has, but I have a 4930k @ 4ghz and only a gtx 970, and my FPS rarely goes down to even 60 at high settings. The only time it does is in extreme situations such as the new legion invasions. During normal PvP/raiding/questing/etc, I'm always hovering around 85-120+ and the higher refresh rate is EXTREMELY noticeable. As long as you're maintaining above 60fps, you're going to see a difference. If you have a gtx 1070, your FPS will be very high in WoW and you'll take full advantage of a 144hz monitor.
    Specs are in my sig, though I don't really play WoW. However, it is well known that in any intensive areas you are limited by your CPU and will drop to near 60. Also, no, not as long as you are above 60. It's a 144hx monitor, so you would need to maintain a multiplier of that, or 72 FPS, to notice the difference. With WoW having certain aspects of it that will tank even the best of systems to below 72, you are actually doing yourself a disservice going to 144hz, unless it has adaptive sync of some sort and your GPU supports it.

Specs are in my sig, though I don't really play WoW. However, it is well known that in any intensive areas you are limited by your CPU and will drop to near 60. Also, no, not as long as you are above 60. It's a 144hx monitor, so you would need to maintain a multiplier of that, or 72 FPS, to notice the difference. With WoW having certain aspects of it that will tank even the best of systems to below 72, you are actually doing yourself a disservice going to 144hz, unless it has adaptive sync of some sort and your GPU supports it.
    You're telling someone that has a GTX 1070 that because some areas of a game will drop their fps to 60-72, that they should just use a 60hz monitor.

That is insane. I have no words.

You're telling someone that has a GTX 1070 that because some areas of a game will drop their fps to 60-72, that they should just use a 60hz monitor.

That is insane. I have no words.
    Yeah, because as soon as it drops below 72, they will be playing at essentially 36FPS, whereas with a 60hz monitor, they would be at 60 still. Better bet would likely be a 1440p monitor as that will not have any effect on the CPU, but utilize the GPU more. However, maintaining 144 FPS at 1440p is a lot harder in most games, so a 60hz would be better. If he is playing a lot of FPS games though, then the 144hz 1080p may be worth it. That's why I said it really all depends on the games he plays. Personally I think that 1440p@60hx is better than 1080p@144hz. Ideally though, you'd want a 1440p with adaptive sync. Since he has an nvidia GPU though, GSync would likely be out of his budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Games I play include WoW, League of Legends, Overwatch, Diablo 3

Yeah, because as soon as it drops below 72, they will be playing at essentially 36FPS, whereas with a 60hz monitor, they would be at 60 still. Better bet would likely be a 1440p monitor as that will not have any effect on the CPU, but utilize the GPU more. However, maintaining 144 FPS at 1440p is a lot harder in most games, so a 60hz would be better. If he is playing a lot of FPS games though, then the 144hz 1080p may be worth it. That's why I said it really all depends on the games he plays. Personally I think that 1440p@60hx is better than 1080p@144hz. Ideally though, you'd want a 1440p with adaptive sync. Since he has an nvidia GPU though, GSync would likely be out of his budget.
    I just can't anymore. I don't know where you're getting your information from, man. 30fps feels like 30fps regardless it being 60 or 144hz. 60fps feels like 60fps regardless of 60 or 144hz. If I cap my fps at 75, I instantly can feel a difference between that and 60fps @ 144hz. You don't need a constant 144fps to take advantage of a high refresh rate. Dropping to 72fps doesn't make it feel worse than if you were on a 60hz monitor. This is literally insane.

Let me just say that anything you get above the 60hz refresh rate will be beneficial in every game you play. After owning a Benq 24" 1080 144hz monitor I will never go back to a 60hz. Right now I am using a 34" ultra wide that is 100hz and that is good for me. My suggestion would be to get whatever you can afford that is 75hz or higher!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you everyone.

I just can't anymore. I don't know where you're getting your information from, man. 30fps feels like 30fps regardless it being 60 or 144hz. 60fps feels like 60fps regardless of 60 or 144hz. If I cap my fps at 75, I instantly can feel a difference between that and 60fps @ 144hz. You don't need a constant 144fps to take advantage of a high refresh rate. Dropping to 72fps doesn't make it feel worse than if you were on a 60hz monitor. This is literally insane.
    No, a 144hz monitor is incapable of displaying 30FPS because it's not a multiple of 144.

Here, let me try to explain it better, since apparently I am not.

Let's say I'm a mythic raider and on my current 1080p 60hz monitor I stay above 60 but below 72. Everything is fine now, because I am always seeing 60FPS, since that is my monitors refresh rate. Now, I get a 144hz monitor. My FPS is still between 60-72, because that is all my CPU allows on WoW. Now, everytime it drops below 72, all my monitor can display is 36FPS, it is incapable of displaying FPS anywhere between 37-71. As soon as you go below 72, all the monitor can display is 36. So now, in my raids, instead of having 60FPS I have 36 and things look worse. I would not be happy if I upgraded and then raiding actually looked worse.

It's pretty simple to understand really. A 144hz monitor without adaptive sync is physically incapable of displaying 60 FPS. It Displays 144/72/36/18/9 FPS. Numbers in between those will be dropped down So, unless you can maintain above 72FPS all the time, I personally do not think that 144hz displays are worth it. Since WoW is a consideration and no PC can keep WoW above 72 FPS all the time, I personally do not feel it is worth it. The OP said he wants to stay in 1080p, but personally, I think 1440p would be his best bet, since his 1070 will keep nearly everything above 60FPS at 1440p.

Deleted
    I guess my predator osd is lying then...

Deleted
    You definitely need a 144hz monitor for a GTX 1070 - anything past 60fps on a regular 60hz monitor is almost pointless.

Barebone 144hz $268.99: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-...qid=1470845378

Gsync $399.99: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator...qid=1470845670

If you are interested in Gsync, you must use a monitor that specifically states that it supports it - not freesync or just adaptive sync. Gsync is a nice feature, but not 100% necessary - if your budget is $250, then I wouldn't worry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

If the OP raids semi hardcore to hardcore, then that 1070 will not yield 60 FPS in a raid with at least 20 other players, if you think your FPS stays above 60 and never drops below this, please post a video showing the FPS in a raid situation, any content that only involves a few other players is where this GPU will work its wonders with the eye candy.

This is where you do not understand CPU and GPU bound situations are, anything that involves intense data such as raiding will hit the CPU harder since the game does not even use all 12 of my threads on my 5820K at 4.3 GHZ, it primarily taxes 2 cores though overloads the first core as the engine has not been fully retrofitted to take advantage of multicore cpus.