Tanking: Magic Damage vs. Physical Damage

Greetings,

I apologize if this is a topic covered somewhere else, I couldn't find any information.

I am interested in learning to tank, and several classes have the ability to specifically reduce magic damage. Is there a way of knowing when damage is magical vs. physical? Something in the animations that indicates it? Or do I have to research enemies ahead of time to learn which attacks are magical and which are not?

Looking at the adventure guide for example doesn't clearly state whether an attack does magical damage or not. It states that the attack does fire damage (for example), or shadow damage. Do those count as magic damage?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dormin View Post
    How can you 'be right back' when you try and commit suicide?

It has been a while since I tanked for my main spec, but I used to need to research that beforehand. Online guides should say "Boss does xxxx shadow damage" or "Boss does xxxx physical damage", etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes elemental damage is magical damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vozzek View Post
    Greetings,

I apologize if this is a topic covered somewhere else, I couldn't find any information.

I am interested in learning to tank, and several classes have the ability to specifically reduce magic damage. Is there a way of knowing when damage is magical vs. physical? Something in the animations that indicates it? Or do I have to research enemies ahead of time to learn which attacks are magical and which are not?

Looking at the adventure guide for example doesn't clearly state whether an attack does magical damage or not. It states that the attack does fire damage (for example), or shadow damage. Do those count as magic damage?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    The dungeon Journal will definitely help. If you run any sort of add-on or even the default blizzard bars I believe do it now most of them will show you cast bars under your targets health bar and most spells have been ability icon next to the bar. Most cast of abilities are Elemental but some of them can be physical on bosses most of the time the icons for those involve some sort of physical activity or weapon.
    Heroes get remembered.... but legends never die!

Thank you all for the advice. I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dormin View Post
    How can you 'be right back' when you try and commit suicide?