If i main a Hunter will it be a safe choice?

So I am so confused as to what I want to play come legion. My rogue, ret pally, and now hunter.

Played rogue for 8 years but i want change and don't want to do rogue again and get burned out. But I pvp mainly and playing rogues comes second nature like i know what to do when a situation arises to get myself out, or CC for my partner etc.

My ret pally I enjoy a lot despite so many saying they are in a tough spot.

Now the hunter is my boosted character I logged on him today and I am having A LOT of fun. So If i stick to the hunter I wonder if it will be a safe choice where i won't be in bad position in both pvp/pve? I keep hearing that alts will be harder to level in legion due to being behind in artifact. So I want to stick to my choice.

So what do you guys think will hunters be a decent choice?
    Any prize that's worth having usually requires a risk. No matter how big the risk don't ever think twice just do it!

7+ Year Old Account
    Hunter has never been bad in the history of WoW, so alongside Mage / Warlock / Rogue it's just about the safest bet you can make in terms of doing competitive dps. It's never been more boring however.

I am in the same boat. On one side I am really having fun with my rogue, but on the other both DH and Priest impress me, it's quite depressing really, cuz due to how artifacts work, it won't be easy with alts

Really? Man i find it very interesting granted i never played hunter before and I find it really refreshing. Just afraid of pulling trigger and sucking at it in arena.
    Any prize that's worth having usually requires a risk. No matter how big the risk don't ever think twice just do it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker12489 View Post
    So I am so confused as to what I want to play come legion. My rogue, ret pally, and now hunter.

Played rogue for 8 years but i want change and don't want to do rogue again and get burned out. But I pvp mainly and playing rogues comes second nature like i know what to do when a situation arises to get myself out, or CC for my partner etc.

My ret pally I enjoy a lot despite so many saying they are in a tough spot.

Now the hunter is my boosted character I logged on him today and I am having A LOT of fun. So If i stick to the hunter I wonder if it will be a safe choice where i won't be in bad position in both pvp/pve? I keep hearing that alts will be harder to level in legion due to being behind in artifact. So I want to stick to my choice.

So what do you guys think will hunters be a decent choice?
    BM or MM will very likely be top tier dps in raids and they have some ranged utility (way less then before tho)
    BM will likely be very good in pvp

So yes, if u enoy it, it is a safe bet

Quote Originally Posted by Joker12489 View Post
    Really? Man i find it very interesting granted i never played hunter before and I find it really refreshing. Just afraid of pulling trigger and sucking at it in arena.
    You have 20 days to make up your mind. I suggest playing and testing it a lot till the release. I will be doing the same

Quote Originally Posted by loppy88 View Post
    You have 20 days to make up your mind. I suggest playing and testing it a lot till the release. I will be doing the same
    Yep that is true he is my 10th alt but man i am having a blast. Just wish hunter gear didn't look so meh.The transmog farming isn't attractive lol

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't like our current position in PVP (we have no real way to kite anymore) but Hunter has been my class since day 1 of Beta Vanilla, and I will go down with the ship! But play the class you love to play, don't worry how they stand

The above post should never be taken seriously in any shape or form. Failure to do so might result in laughing matters.

Quote Originally Posted by MabusGaming View Post
    I don't like our current position in PVP (we have no real way to kite anymore) but Hunter has been my class since day 1 of Beta Vanilla, and I will go down with the ship! But play the class you love to play, don't worry how they stand

I'm in the same boat as you, been playing hunter since day 1 so I will stick with it no matter what. Really not happy with how boring MM/BM is. My favorite thing was pvping and kiting people using all my spells like master's call, snake/frost trap, explosive trap knockback, square beast, tranq shot... now I don't even have anything to press when playing other than my damage spells and my disengage or concussive shot, and that 1 tier of cc talents. Right now I just play survival, it might not be the best but it feels like the fun one. I mean, even our mobility spell in aspect of the cheetah is completely useless. At least reduce it to 1 min cd.

If you are having fun and enjoying playing a Hunter then go for it man.

This is basically like a 'what class should I play' thread not worded so bluntly, but the bottom line is you should play what you enjoy. Every class got change (for better or for worse) so you may find your rogue refreshing. I think Legion BM is a fetid turd and the worst iteration of the spec since TBC which at least had an excuse for being so bland, but obviously a lot of people enjoy it. Fun is subjective. You seem to enjoy ret pally, if that's what you enjoy most atm, then you should play that. Since you seem to like melee, SV is a more intuitive spec to play optimally then most people believe but a good amount of melee specs do it better and bring more to the table besides. But again, fun is subjective.

If you can enjoy hunter after legion changes, then sure. It will be OK for less serious content. For min/maxers and mythic raiders however, recommending hunter is very risky. There are several problems outside of "boring playstyle" that hunters face in legion:
    1. MM is quite RNG dependant and lost most of its mobility. Basically it plays very similar to previous incarnation of fire mage at the start of the Draenor. So what you get is a Draenor fire mage, but without the "OMG I just set the world on fire" when everything procs. Healing / defence is also not on par.
    2. BM outside of being boring (you literally spend HALF of your time doing nothing), potentially faces scaling issues. Paragon artifact points only about half as effective as for other classes, since they only affect pets and not the hunter himself. It is still super mobile (everything can be done on the move), but lost a lot of solo ability (pets die a lot, no spirit bond, mend pet can not be glyphed etc). So, outside of a 2min cd on Exhilaration (30% heal), you basically have nothing to top yourself up, and your pet heals a maximum of 5% per second if you use mend pet on cooldown. Which is not a lot and about the same as passive heals in Draenor. Pet AI is broken atm. But that is a temporary issue.
    3. Survival is melee now - no thanks, enough of those already.
    4. PvP wise BM is dead in the water. Zero survivability, limited burst potential. MM in PvP is like a mage with RNG dependance, no blink and minimal mobility.
    I could probably runt for ages, but I think you get the idea. Hunters in Legion are not at their best. If you want a Pet class, consider warlock. They are also not ideal, but compared to hunters their problems are very niche (like AoE for destruction requires full dedication of character talents to it, otherwise it is mediocre). Want something safe, of all ranged characters mage seems the best bet. All specs have excellent single target and cleave abilities. Fire also provides excellent burst AoE through talents, while other specs are more about constant AoE. Nice defensive cooldowns, decent mobility, ability to "go bananas" with burst damage. The only negative I can think of is poor ability to solo tough elites compared to warlock or hunter (before the legion at least).

@OP If you enjoy the rotation/playstyle, go for it. Historically, it pretty much has been a stable class to play, similar to mages and rogues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to say right now, since we can't hit max level atm. But, I'm willing to bet BM is still a competitive spec.
    Personality: INTJ

“Greatness, at any cost.”

Deleted
    Before going with hunters, keep in mind the class has seen one of it's most radical changes ever and is one of the most pruned classes, if not the most pruned one.

Currently the only decently working spec for MM is with a specific talent, that combines two skills you would usually use, which makes the basic rotation go from 3-4 skills to 2-3, but mostly 2 and mostly feeling like you're waiting for procs of auto shot. That's basically MM - you hit with your Sidewinders talent to apply a debuff, then you can use your Aimed Shot for increased damage, and if you get a proc from auto shot applying another debuff, you can use a third skill that hits hard.

There's a few awful AoE talents and a few long cooldown skills, and the artifact ability which isn't very exciting.

BM is less RNG reliant, but due to the stupidity of the design you get windows of time where you just sit and auto shot, because you have no buttons to press or energy to press them. Also the pet AI is bugged and you have to micromanage it. Before 7.0.3 when you had the pet on assist, it would go into combat as soon as you did and attack until you stop it or the enemy mobs are dead. Post pre-patch the pet will attack only the target you're attacking and it will then travel back to you, and travel again to your new target, unless you micromanage it manually. Obviously it's rather frustrating to have to micromanage your pet for such basic gameplay.

I haven't tried SV, but the one thing I've seen about it is the dreadful artifact ability and generally lackluster artifact traits. On the other hand I hear the rotation is a lot more complex so it could be good.

Generally hunters will be fine as far as numbers go, but the class is a shell of the powerhouse it was in WoD. Don't get fooled by the handful of delusional fanboys here, it plays like shit and most people are not enjoying it.

the general conscious is that their rotation is kind of bland, but they are putting up the top marks in raid logs at the moment. so its really up to you, they are an easy class to get good numbers, but you may get bored with it at some point

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hunters are always a safe bet.