Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    And if the law was unjust, should they perhaps have a way to get laws changed in a peaceful way?
    Unfortunately it really isn't up to you personally whether a law is just or unjust. It is your responsibility to follow it.

Now if a person felt strongly about a given law, the appropriate way to deal with it would be to take the necessary steps to change it or remove it from the books. It is NOT appropriate to simply not follow it because you feel it is ridiculous or unjust.

This is a fallacy of the old generation of SJW who have taught the new generation to simply not follow the laws we don't agree with.

Personally I feel like my private property is my private property... so if you set foot on my property if I choose to shoot you, that is my prerogative. It doesn't matter if you are white, black, christian, muslim, jehovahs witness, or just a salesman. Don't come to my door. If you do I'm going to blast you!

Should I simply be allowed to do what I want to who I want because I don't submit to the authority and the laws of the land. Fuck no.

Also we are talking about FELONS here... not someone who has committed misdemeanors. A FELON is someone who has committed an act that essentially ignored or impeded the rights of someone else. By committing such an act, you forfeit your own rights... your right to vote, your right to bear arms. You are allowed to live here as a second class citizen. Don't like it... don't fucking commit a crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they served their time and are now out then yes.

While serving their time no.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Also we are talking about FELONS here... not someone who has committed misdemeanors. A FELON is someone who has committed an act that essentially ignored or impeded the rights of someone else. By committing such an act, you forfeit your own rights... your right to vote, your right to bear arms. You are allowed to live here as a second class citizen. Don't like it... don't fucking commit a crime.
    How about felony drug convictions that only involved personal use of a drug?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about felony drug convictions that only involved personal use of a drug?
    You have to be a real ignoramus to believe that drug use/abuse effects only 1 person.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    You have to be a real ignoramus to believe that drug use/abuse effects only 1 person.
    Deflect more please. Have you ever driven a car over the posted speed limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I say they should. They have paid their price to society, no matter how much they have changed, their voices will never be heard in the public arena. Depriving ex-felons of the right to vote alienates certain minorities, who have the deck stacked against them to begin with in the justice system.

Depriving ex-felons of the right to vote gives an unfair advantage to the Republican party. This is because the poor and African Americans tend to vote Democratic.

Disenfranchisement of ex-felons amounts to extra punishment, other Democratic countries do not do this.

Thoughts?
    For non violent offenders sure, as well as their gun rights.

Hes right you know, we had this debate numerous times in our criminal justice ethics class.

Drug use, prostitution, etc etc

There is a well document case of a cost to society.

Example: I am a firm believer in letting someone inject something into their body. Its their body why should I care right?

OK, well, what happens when Cracky McMeth head now has to burglarize homes to make money for his fix? How about the medical bills? How about the overall condition of his living area and those next to him? How about the rehab costs when he/she decides, "Ok well I don't want to take it anymore."

I use to think my mind was made up, now I am not so sure.

Prostitutes when not carefully monitored by the state (aka Nevada is the only place I know of) will spread disease. This isn't even a question. It gets even more complicated if you want to look further into and the direct connection to the drug trade and prostitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    OK, well, what happens when Cracky McMeth head now has to burglarize homes to make money for his fix? How about the medical bills? How about the overall condition of his living area and those next to him? How about the rehab costs when he/she decides, "Ok well I don't want to take it anymore."
    I don't know. What happens when eminent domain is invoked and a residential neighborhood gets turned into a strip mall and parking lot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Misdemeanor vs felony.

Get enough tickets and they'll take away your ability to drive.

I'm not deflecting at all. Your argument is full of holes. Not sure what your end game here is. Assuming 0 republicans got to vote on whether or not convicted felons could retain their right to vote, you STILL wouldn't win that vote. Why? If I was dealing with a rational person I wouldn't have to explain it to you.

You're trying to make the argument that possession and consumption of an illegal substance is a personal choice, no different from a person choosing to vegetarian, or vegan. That is a boldly ignorant claim. Its just flat out wrong.

The relationship between drugs and crime is complex, and one question is whether drug use leads people into criminal activity or whether those who use drugs are already predisposed to such activity. Many illegal drug users commit no other kinds of crimes, and many persons who commit crimes never use illegal drugs. However, at the most intense levels of drug use, drugs and crime are directly and highly correlated and serious drug use can amplify and perpetuate preexisting criminal activity.

There are essentially three types of crimes related to drugs:

Use-Related crime: These are crimes that result from or involve individuals who ingest drugs, and who commit crimes as a result of the effect the drug has on their thought processes and behavior.
    Economic-Related crime: These are crimes where an individual commits a crime in order to fund a drug habit. These include theft and prostitution.
    System-Related crime: These are crimes that result from the structure of the drug system. They include production, manufacture, transportation, and sale of drugs, as well as violence related to the production or sale of drugs, such as a turf war.
    Taken from:
    https://www.ncadd.org/about-addictio...rugs-and-crime

Since you are going to zero in on this one phrase I am going to go ahead and bold it and address it right now. Many is not all... many is not even most... nor is it the majority.

The point here is that use of an illegal substance rarely effects 1 person (the person doing drugs) and 1 person alone. It is not a victimless crime just as prostitution is not a victimless crime. Can they be? Absolutely. Statistically they aren't so...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know. What happens when eminent domain is invoked and a residential neighborhood gets turned into a strip mall and parking lot?
    Who is deflecting now? Eminent domain is not invoked to tear down a residential neighborhood, and definitely not so that a private party can profit from the construction of a strip mall.

Eminent domain is typically done for public works. Roads, utilities, government buildings. It isn't as simple as pointing and going "I want that land!" either.

Not sure what that has to do with felons being given back their right to vote.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2016-08-10 at 09:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    An ex-felon may vote. They cannot while on probation or parole.