Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on a lot of factors; you aren't giving nearly enough information here.

Is it paid time, or are they on a break? (More complex considerations would be whether or not they are paid hourly or on salary.)
    What is the nature of the job? Are they merely there in a "need a warm body" capacity?

There's no one right answer to this, because a gas station attendant taking a nap (doing the graveyard shift of what is probably his second job) is no big deal, nobody cares - the machine/doorbell wakes his ass up. But a truck driver falling asleep at the wheel is an entirely different story...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Absolutely disagree. Napping on the job is not acceptable anywhere. It's about your attitude towards both your employer and your co-workers and your own work ethics.

Unless you have a lounge where you allow people to take a powernap during break times, I've been in a company in Holland that had one of those.
    Well obviously you would wake them up. Of course if you're being paid it's not "acceptable" to be napping on the job no matter what it is but if you were just particularly tired that day or have some condition the best thing your employers/supervisors can do is wake you up and give you a warning. Firing seems excessive if it's not a regular occurrence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Absolutely disagree. Napping on the job is not acceptable anywhere. It's about your attitude towards both your employer and your co-workers and your own work ethics.

Unless you have a lounge where you allow people to take a powernap during break times, I've been in a company in Holland that had one of those.
    Well in the US, they have the more productive and overworked workforce. So if someone wants to nap during a 60+ hour week, no big deal.

Now if it was in Europe and they were working a 35 hour week, a nap could be more problematic.

We should treat humans as humans and not machines :P

I work from home and take naps fairly often if there's nothing going on lol, so I guess it would depend on the job.

Obviously depends on the job.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Well, people deserve at least one warning. If he's not getting the work done and you catch him sleeping and you're in a state where there are no repercussions, I'd ask HR to fire him.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'd put their hand in water.

Deleted
    Nope.. I wouldnt even care if they come to work in time unless theyre in customer service. As long as their productivity is fine it wouldnt be a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, we had a guy on night shift that sleep every day. Our queue was empty, so wasn't a problem. A few months after I left, our UNIX admin across the hall complained about loud snoring. So, the sleeper got fired...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    It depends on the job and the circumstance. For instance, while I don't, I certain could take an hour to 90 minute nap during my work while losing no productivity. I'm a software engineer that builds a gigantic product, and when I want to do live tests of any change, it takes at least 90 minutes to compile.
    This I'd understand. If it's a job with breaks in it, then fine, yeah. So long as you're still being productive when you need to be. If you've got nothing to be doing while that code spends an hour or two compiling, then who cares. If you're clocked out on your 30 minute break, who cares.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khazlol View Post
    We should treat humans as humans and not machines :P
    Right. We'll replace the humans with machines then!
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    not straight away, but a warning. constant sleeping on the job would mean firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Got curious around this question the other day. Personally, I'd like to know what happened in the last nights before taking any actions.

And you?
    Depends on the job, paramedics on a graveyard shift I can understand, sometimes they just don't get any calls on that particular shift.

However, for anything requiring production (goods and services) from said employee, if they made it a habit (several times per week) you bet I would fire them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Got curious around this question the other day. Personally, I'd like to know what happened in the last nights before taking any actions.

And you?
    Are they still getting their job done on time? If so, of course not. From personal experience the occasional nap increases productivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire them? I have federal rules that allows me to take a nap where I work!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am surprised so many people have nice hearts. Not jumping the gun to fire.

I would do what most have said, send them home that day. Next time they come in have a private one on one talk and ensure everything is ok, then depending on their answer it will determine what I do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgottenone View Post
    I am surprised so many people have nice hearts. Not jumping the gun to fire.

I would do what most have said, send them home that day. Next time they come in have a private one on one talk and ensure everything is ok, then depending on their answer it will determine what I do.
    i would never take a nap at work, but i would hate it if my employer asked me personal questions like that :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    I'd be asking myself why he saw it fit to take a nap at all, and try and find a proper solution to his "downtime" that allows him to take a nap.

If hes not working enough, then there is more than likely something else he can also do while standing idle waiting for tasks.
    Yeaaah, I don't think you understand why people are taking naps at work.

Hint: it's not because they don't have enough work.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you expect your employees to be flexible in work? Then you should be flexible to their needs too. If their job ends with end of their shift then you should demand work during work hours.

My boss doesnt care about how much time i spend in the office, he cares about work done. I can come late, leave early, do personal stuff in work and if i have nothing to do, i dont have to be there. In exchange, it is expected from me to do similar sacrifices when i/we have work which needs to be done or problem which needs to be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Depends on the job, paramedics on a graveyard shift I can understand, sometimes they just don't get any calls on that particular shift.

However, for anything requiring production (goods and services) from said employee, if they made it a habit (several times per week) you bet I would fire them.
    What? You would understand if people whose sole purpose is to SAVE LIVES can SLEEP ON THE JOB!?

Holy shit, man. Holy shit.