Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Depends on the job and depends on the person. If they were more productive than like employees despite the napping, I'd let them just keep sleeping. If they were a productive employee but the nap seemed to be an outier, I'd give them a warning. If they were a less productive employee I'd probably just fire them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Got curious around this question the other day. Personally, I'd like to know what happened in the last nights before taking any actions.

And you?
    depends on circumstances - example although most of the month my job requires my constant attention there are periods - usually 3-4 days eveyr couple of weeks when i have absolutely next to nothing to do (because i alreayd did everthing earlier, preplaned everything for whole next couple of weeks made sure i have all statisctics i need etc etc ) and i wouldnt mind taking a nap as im doin basickly nothing anyway aka browsing net etc and i think taking a nap would be much more productive in longer run - sadly as a manger i have to set example so i cant but i wouldnt mind

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    It would depend on the job, but in about 80% of circumstances, yeah I would absolutely fire them.
    I take naps at work all the time, but my job is about 50% doing something, and 50% waiting to do that something. I am probably a bad example though, because that's just how my job is set up.
    double standards to its fullest eh ?
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2016-08-11 at 08:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Yeaaah, I don't think you understand why people are taking naps at work.

Hint: it's not because they don't have enough work.
    let me put it in a simple manner because apparently it went over your head:

They better pray there is nothing for them to do as the sole reason they are lazy, because I can find someone else to do their job in a heartbeat.

But as for the OP, again, lack of context on which job we are talking about, in this case im assuming its a low tier job like supermarkets or unskilled labor.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

yes

how is this even a question?

2016... smh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    i pity you'r co workers .
    SJW's have no co workers!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    let me put it in a simple manner because apparently it went over your head:

They better pray there is nothing for them to do as the sole reason they are lazy, because I can find someone else to do their job in a heartbeat.

But as for the OP, again, lack of context on which job we are talking about, in this case im assuming its a low tier job like supermarkets or unskilled labor.
    Maybe for unskilled work, as you say. You can't find someone to do my job in a heartbeat. Given, I'm not going to randomly fall asleep at work, but when I get enough time during my free time, yeah, I'm gonna do it if I need it. Given, I'm salaried, so the amount of hours I make is irrelevant compared to what I get done.

Low skill work? Yeah, I can see it.

Caught one of my workers sleeping on the job. He was supposed to be helping a few other guys. Since he was snoozing, it in effect made more work for them and kept them from doing other things. A man is getting paid to get the job done. They did and he didn't. So he was done and gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Maybe for unskilled work, as you say. You can't find someone to do my job in a heartbeat. Given, I'm not going to randomly fall asleep at work, but when I get enough time during my free time, yeah, I'm gonna do it if I need it. Given, I'm salaried, so the amount of hours I make is irrelevant compared to what I get done.

Low skill work? Yeah, I can see it.
    This really is a non issue and arguing semantics is just petty. If we wanted to go into specifics about the merits and faults of each and every job position in the world we would have no time to really discuss the topic on hand.

The OP clearly didn't specify what job this question is in regards to, considering this, its likely were not talking about nuclear reactor technicians or a civic engineering position. Odds are this is a low risk/pay position in the likes of unskilled labor or gruntwork such as POS employment.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    No, I'd ask if there's any particular reason he fell asleep, be it from being sick, a terrible nights sleep or something else. Of course I'd take into consideration whether or not he was neglecting any task at hand in the process. Otherwise hey, downtime happens and so does exhaustion.
    It's easy to go all rulebook-to-the-letter correct and forget it's a human being at hand.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

I'll contribute an anecdote that happened to me:

Years ago, I started feeling tired all the time. I could sleep eight hours and still wake up feeling groggy; but coffee let me power through most of it.

Then odd things started happening. I'd be stopped at a red light and suddenly I'd hear honking and would see the light was now green. I wasn't aware of any passage of time; the traffic from the opposite direction just suddenly went from moving to completely stopped.

My best friend, who often hung out at my house, would sometimes give me odd looks during our conversations (I later learned that I'd fall asleep mid-sentence for a few minutes then resume as if nothing had happened). Sometimes he disappeared; I'd be talking and suddenly he was gone and it was three hours later. Sometimes I'd see shadows moving in my peripheral field of vision (but of course nothing was there).

Then it started happening at work; I'd be on task and the next thing I knew a co-worker would be gently shaking my arm. My boss woke me during one of these episodes and was talking with me and the next thing I knew I was at the hospital with no sense of time in between.

After various tests, including a sleep study that was done while I was there, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. During the eight hour sleep study, they recorded over eight hundred times that I would experience apneas of varying severity; but each one of them was sufficient to disrupt and collectively inhibit REM sleep. I had essentially been experiencing sleep-deprivation for a period of almost six weeks until my system said "fuck this" and flipped the switch. I was put on a CPAP and within the week I was feeling much better and rested; I was back at work within that period as well. During my hospital stay, my boss came to visit me a few times to see how I was doing and to reassure me that my job was waiting for me when I recovered.

The point of all of this is to say that while I am all for enforcing productivity among employees, it isn't always necessary to use termination of employment as the go-to response.

Depends on the job, a warning for a first time offence most likely, but I would need more context to decide that.
    In some jobs they would need a very good excuse for me not to fire them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    There are different set of rules for fireing someone for individual reasons and different for downsizing for example. It's pretty much standard in the EU. Much smarter system than the one in US where your boss can just come in and say you're fired and that's it.
    Sounds like government is telling the business owner he doesn't have much say in how to staff his own business. That's not smarter it's just more oppressive. Do business owners have affirmative action quotas like we do in the US too? That's would be a hell of a combo.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    No.

A firm warning.
    While extremely unprofessional, I would let them off. It it kept happening, you would have to start some kind of disciplinary process.
    This is probably what I'd do. It also depends on the type of job. If you're in charge of heavy equipment or otherwise in some position where people could get hurt or die if you're not watching something that you're supposed to be watching, then yeah, I'd have zero tolerance. You'd be fired the first offense. I don't want someone who is going to sleep or otherwise be fucking off on the job while in charge of a crane that's moving things heavy enough to crush a car, for example.

If we're talking about a desk job that's lower stress and just during idle time or something, I'd be a bit more lenient. You'd get a few warnings/talkings before we reach the "your ass is out the door" stage (although we would eventually get to that stage if you're a repeat offender).
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-08-11 at 10:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd ask if they had some sort of Medical issue, If not i would fire them on the spot. Trying to take naps at work? Wtf? When you get a job your on someones time not yours. Its disgusting how many people do stuff like this. Worked with a few in my time, Made sure they never lasted more than 2 weeks.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Unless they are getting paid to sleep they would be gone in an instant.

10+ Year Old Account
    in retail you get fired for taking a nap during worktime.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Truck Driver
    Well fuck, if you are a truck driver and you fall asleep while doing your job, getting fired is the least you should worry about lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    Unless they are getting paid to sleep they would be gone in an instant.
    And then you have to deal with rehiring someone. Are you even aware of the costs it takes to replace a qualified worker? Heck, even when it's only manual labor.

A good system always makes sure that issues with employees are first resolved diplomatically and do not result in an immediate let off.

If your job isn't extremely high profile with loads of safety concerns, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Well fuck, if you are a truck driver and you fall asleep while doing your job, getting fired is the least you should worry about lol

- - - Updated - - -

And then you have to deal with rehiring someone. Are you even aware of the costs it takes to replace a qualified worker? Heck, even when it's only manual labor.

A good system always makes sure that issues with employees are first resolved diplomatically and do not result in an immediate let off.

If your job isn't extremely high profile with loads of safety concerns, obviously.

hehe indeed

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post

- - - Updated - - -

staying awake is not hard unless you have a medical condition. if it's a job were they are aren't allowed to be sleeping and if they can't handle not doing it they obviously can't handle doing the actual job no matter what it is and if something bad happened because or even during someone sleeping the legal fees and insurance would greatly outweigh the cost of hiring someone else. I'd much rather hire someone else then risk losing the entire business cause some idiot fell asleep.

In my field of work; no. It's a verbal and written warning though.

I am pretty lenient though. My work is rarely 'high priority'.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    in retail you get fired for taking a nap during worktime.
    Guess the store I work in is the exception?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.