Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I agree with you OP. Bikers should GTFO the road.

Also I occasionally bike, and I make sure I'm never on the road when I do it because I don't want to be that guy.

My general policy for doing things in public places is this: Don't waste people's time.
    So you're the guy breaking the law and putting pedestrians at risk?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Yes, and get off your high horse with whatever BS response about safety you have because me being hit by a motor vehicle is far more dangerous than a pedestrian being hit by a bike.
    I don't think its so much as safety as it's often illegal in many places.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, these people are a public nuisance.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie49 View Post
    well, if i was driving my car under 25mph, i'd get pulled over and ticketed as a safety hazard. but its ok if you're on a bike because reasons

its pretty damn rude to slow people down like that, and its also quite dangerous as most motorists try to give extra space and it causes lane shifting. there should either be bike lanes or they should have to use the sidewalk imo
    Because not all vehicles are the same. Slow moving vehicles are definitely allowed on a road without getting a ticket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    The amount you pay is irrelevant. There is no premium subscription for legal public road use.
    unless you drive a vehicle

which, in case you haven't checked, a lot of people use for a myriad of reasons

I just don't see a reason to tolerate bikers as a nuisance when they pay $0 to use the road. Maybe I should just stop paying for insurance and renewing my registration. It's a pointless tax after all if people can do this.

I have been in wrecks. I've wrecked vehicles for fun. I deal with people who can barely operate a motor vehicle every day. But honestly? People on bikes out in the middle of nowhere scare me more than anyone in a vehicle ever has.

You hit them, it's your fault. You have to pay to fix your truck. You probably have to pay to get it out of impound. You're the idiot who doesn't know how to drive. You're the one who gets charged. You're the one who goes to jail or prison or whatever. You're the one who gets interrogated like they're a fucking criminal. You're the one who loses their privilege to work for a company delivering resources.

The idiot on the bike? Oh well they just got disability and get $2000/mo for being a (now) physically disabled jackass. on top of whatever they won in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    *Unrelated but why the 40th anniversary pic when they just had the 50th?
    I like the (99-04) new edges. Some people don't understand. The newer 05-13 ones are boxier and look cool, but you have about half the windshield space and you can't see shit out of the back window. The interior and features in a new edge are pretty shabby but all around I just think it is a better car. Plus, they are cheap to buy and modify.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Or because they're not lazy and don't feel the need to commute to work in a car.
    I sure hope they don't feel lazy when they get hit because they can't ride in the dirt for 3 whole seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're the guy breaking the law and putting pedestrians at risk?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I don't think its so much as safety as it's often illegal in many places.
    Yea, just because it's a law doesn't mean it's logical. So yes, I break the law regularly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    America! Where our infrastructure was built in the 60s and never updated.

hey guys check out this timelapse of construction work being done in america

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I sure hope they don't feel lazy when they get hit because they can't ride in the dirt for 3 whole seconds.
    If you were a responsible driver then you would just pass them it is safe to do so and no one would be put at risk. You are the problem in the scenario you provided, not the cyclist.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, just because it's a law doesn't mean it's logical. So yes, I break the law regularly.
    It actually is very logical to ride on the road instead of the sidewalk. You are more likely to get in an accident with a motor vehicle while riding on a sidewalk than you would a road.

http://www.bike.cornell.edu/pdfs/Sid...biking_FAQ.pdf

Younare assuming people on bikes don't pay into the system, so you have started from rocky footing. In most areas bikers are supposed to stay in the right lane or bike lane unless they are turning left. Even if that isn't the case where you live it cant be that bad of a problem. If you just can't deal with it you might be in the wrong city or neighborhood.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Which still does not give you a premium subscription to the road.

It allows you legal road use for that vehicle with anyone else using that road legally. Paying more or less does not give you less or more privileges with road use.

What you are advocating is that because you pay more money, then you should be allowed to have more rights to public services.

That would be akin to me saying that because I pay more taxes than you, I should have more rights to public services like police and fire.

Arguing that it's unsafe for the driver and the cyclist is one thing. Making the point that you spend more money on road use and therefore deserve more rights is a separate issue.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    If you just can't deal with it you might be in the wrong city or neighborhood.
    Or is just a shitty driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    what kind of piss poor country doesnt have roads made specifically for bicyclist
    Countries with roads wide enough for two full size cars. In europe the roads were designed hundreds of years, if not thousands of years, before cars were invented and the infrastructure of old as piss buildings in cities does not allow for the free flowing of vehicles in Euro cities so most people use public transportation rather than cars. In Germany you pay several thousand dollars for a chance at a drivers test, pass or fail, because they don't want everyone driving cars. In America everyone has a car at 16+ and only in the biggest cities is public transportation easier than finding a parking spot.

That being said, Yes OP you are wrong. One part wrong because they have the right to roads regardless how much you spend (and you assume that they don't own cars or pay too.) and the second point is the only reason you are bitching is because they are an annoyance to you personally and you don't give two fucks about anyone else but yourself. If it doesn't effect you it isnt a problem but if someone is slowing you down? Well fuck em!

The only thing I don't like about bikers is that in my area they have parks with biking trails but when asked why they use the roads which are full of dangerous cars venting carbon dioxide exhaust they say, "Because people are hiking on the bike paths and they are slowing me down, I have to constantly be on my toes to not hit someone! It's annoying!" to which I reply, "You mean like when you are biking on a road and slowing down cars that have to make sure they don't hit you?" to which they usually get so pissed off.

I just don't see a reason to tolerate bikers as a nuisance when they pay $0 to use the road. Maybe I should just stop paying for insurance and renewing my registration. It's a pointless tax after all if people can do this.

I have been in wrecks. I've wrecked vehicles for fun. I deal with people who can barely operate a motor vehicle every day. But honestly? People on bikes out in the middle of nowhere scare me more than anyone in a vehicle ever has.

You hit them, it's your fault. You have to pay to fix your truck. You probably have to pay to get it out of impound. You're the idiot who doesn't know how to drive. You're the one who gets charged. You're the one who goes to jail or prison or whatever. You're the one who gets interrogated like they're a fucking criminal. You're the one who loses their privilege to work for a company delivering resources.

The idiot on the bike? Oh well they just got disability and get $2000/mo for being a (now) physically disabled jackass. on top of whatever they won in court.

I like the (99-04) new edges. Some people don't understand. The newer 05-13 ones are boxier and look cool, but you have about half the windshield space and you can't see shit out of the back window. The interior and features in a new edge are pretty shabby but all around I just think it is a better car. Plus, they are cheap to buy and modify.

Insurance has nothing to do with the roads at all. I ride a bike and drive so by your own logic the road is mine because I pay for it, so get your car out of my way.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

You are not paying for the use of the roads, you are paying for the use of a vehicle. All taxpayers pay for the construction of the roads. Nobody pays for the right to be on a road regardless if they are walking, biking, driving or sleeping. You also leap to the conclusion that they don't own a vehicle because they are on a bicycle, or never have paid a dime towards registrations/roads. Children don't pay taxes but do you expect them to walk through peoples properties to avoid roads if no sidewalk exists?

And yes if you run over a cyclist then you are at fault. You are in control of the big murder machine. God forbid you should have to repair a truck, I am sure it doesn't hurt at all to get hit by a truck and it is cheap and easy to have your bones repaired. By your logic if you are driving slower than me and I am in a bigger vehicle I should be able to ram you off the road and then act like I am the victim here because I have to repair my front bumper.

The rules of the road are designed to keep society safe, not so you can do what ever the fuck you want just because everyone else is not you. The world isn't wrong, you are.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-08-11 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you were a responsible driver then you would just pass them it is safe to do so and no one would be put at risk. You are the problem in the scenario you provided, not the cyclist.
    Actually, I am only the problem in the scenario that you have provided.

I mean if all you want to do is start a pointless argument I can keep this going on and on for days, but it's pretty hard for a cyclist to block up traffic when there is enough space to pass because most people have the common sense to pass them.

In many of the experiences where I become furious with these people they are resting in the middle of the road around blind turns, are too good to ride in the dirt when there are 8 cars behind them and oncoming traffic blocking us from passing.

Insurance has nothing to do with the roads at all.
    In America it's illegal in 48 states to operate a motor vehicle on main roads without insurance. So I don't know if you're not from America or if you are being difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Driving without insurance can result in the following

Quote Originally Posted by DMV.org
    • Having your driver’s license suspended.
    • Having your vehicle registration suspended.
    • Receiving a traffic ticket for a no insurance violation. This is in addition to the traffic ticket(s) you receive for the original reason you were pulled over.
      • Depending on the officer and where you receive the ticket, you might be able to have the ticket dismissed if you can show proof of insurance within a certain time period following the date of the citation; however, this generally only applies if you really did have coverage at the time of the traffic stop and just happened―for whatever reason―to not have your insurance card with you.
    • Meeting SR-22 requirements.
      • Some states might only impose this if you cause an accident while driving without insurance; others may impose it simply for driving uninsured.
    • Hefty fines. In addition to meeting other requirements, you’ll have to pay to have your license and registration reinstated. Plus, you’ll have to cover the traffic ticket fines.
    • Increased future insurance premiums.

So it's summer, a lot of people are out riding their bikes. I often see these signs.

I really have to ask though, what's with these people's entitlement? They just sit there in the middle of the road and block up traffic.

You could ask me the same thing, but one of my job's responsibilities is to drive which also requires a driver's license, registration and insurance. So I pay about $12,300 a year just to be allowed to pull my car out of my driveway. And that's not even counting the insurance for the truck. I'm just trying to do my job and go home, just like so many other people.

I mean, that's how backwards this country is. I have to pay to move from point a to point b and to do my job. You do it for fun (or because you got a DUI. in which case, fuck you) and it's free.

Am I wrong to be furious with these people?
    The all you need to know about bike laws per state.

http://bikeleague.org/StateBikeLaws

Where to Ride

Virginia requires that any person operating a bicycle, at a speed less than the speed of traffic, must ride as close as safely practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following circumstances:
    When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;
    When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway;
    When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions that make it unsafe to continue along the right curb or edge, including those caused by substandard width lanes;
    When avoiding riding in a lane that must turn or diverge to the right; and
    When riding upon a one-way road or highway, a person may also ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of such roadway as safely practicable.
    Last edited by VTerpsichore; 2016-08-11 at 04:48 PM.

In America it's illegal in 48 states to operate a motor vehicle on main roads without insurance. So I don't know if you're not from America or if you are being difficult for the sake of being difficult.
    I think the point they were trying to make was that insurance does nothing to pay for roads. It might allow you to legally drive your vehicle, but 0% of that money is going to pay for the road itself. Taxes and millages cover creation and repair of roads. Which you don't have to own a vehicle to pay.

Entitled cars that can't drive with different vehicles should get off the road.

If everyone rode bikes everything would be better.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Children don't pay taxes but do you expect them to walk through peoples properties to avoid roads if no sidewalk exists?
    And you're trying to change the topic from bikers to pedestrians. But if I must give my opinion on the matter, you should always yield to a pedestrian.

I think the point they were trying to make was that insurance does nothing to pay for roads.
    then their point is irrelevant

if you can't make the connection that it costs us all money to legally bring a vehicle onto a main road, that we are literally taxed for driving a vehicle... then there's really no point in arguing further because you don't have anything useful to contribute.

If I'm shelling out a grip I could use as a down payment on a nicer vehicle or just outright buy another car with every year in insurance, I really don't think you have any right to be in my way whether state law says so or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Yup, you're wrong. They have a legal right to use the road.
    Except most bikers tend not to follow traffic laws.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Entitled cars that can't drive with different vehicles should get off the road.

If everyone rode bikes everything would be better.
    Especially ambulances, police and fire fighters. I can see them pulling up to take someone to the hospital *ching* *ching*