Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    And you're trying to change the topic from bikers to pedestrians. But if I must give my opinion on the matter, you should always yield to a pedestrian.

then their point is irrelevant

if you can't make the connection that it costs us all money to legally bring a vehicle onto a main road, that we are literally taxed for driving a vehicle... then there's really no point in arguing further because you don't have anything useful to contribute.

If I'm shelling out a grip I could use as a down payment on a nicer vehicle or just outright buy another car with every year in insurance, I really don't think you have any right to be in my way whether state law says so or not.
    You're right, you are taxed for driving a vehicle. But that vehicle tax has no impact on the roads. If you don't want that vehicle tax then walk, ride a bike, or take public transit. Being taxed for driving a vehicle doesn't make you anymore entitled than someone who doesn't. Because it's a vehicle tax, not a road tax. You choose to drive a vehicle.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I love the Lance Armstrong wannabes that just fly through traffic lights and stop signs, those are the people i wouldn't mind getting hit by a car.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Except most bikers tend not to follow traffic laws.

- - - Updated - - -

Especially ambulances, police and fire fighters. I can see them pulling up to take someone to the hospital *ching* *ching*
    If mist vehicles were bikes wouldn't need those traffic laws.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    If mist vehicles were bikes wouldn't need those traffic laws.
    Yeah, go tell that to the Chinese.

if you can't make the connection that it costs us all money to legally bring a vehicle onto a main road, that we are literally taxed for driving a vehicle... then there's really no point in arguing further because you don't have anything useful to contribute.

If I'm shelling out a grip I could use as a down payment on a nicer vehicle or just outright buy another car with every year in insurance, I really don't think you have any right to be in my way whether state law says so or not.
    It costs you money to make your vehicle street legal for various reasons. None of that has any bearing on you paying for the road. If you and I pay equal taxes for the road and it's use, whatever you choose to spend on your vehicle/title/registration/insurance is your problem.

You are also ignoring the point that many people who ride bikes also own vehicles and likely paid their insurance and registration just like you. The fact that you pay more in insurance means that you have more risk - whether that's cargo, clientele, or your driving history. The actual amount has no bearing on your right to road use, nor is it making the roads I pay for any better.

Look. You want to argue that cyclists biking in the middle of the road and not being considerate of traffic are dicks? I'm right with you on that.

You lose me though when you talk about paying X amount for your car and insurance and that gives you more rights than people who pay Y.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Yeah, go tell that to the Chinese.
    Ear elephant to the current discussion.

Point remains cars should get out of my bike trails aka roads.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2016-08-11 at 05:19 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    If you were a responsible driver then you would just pass them it is safe to do so and no one would be put at risk. You are the problem in the scenario you provided, not the cyclist.

- - - Updated - - -

It actually is very logical to ride on the road instead of the sidewalk. You are more likely to get in an accident with a motor vehicle while riding on a sidewalk than you would a road.

http://www.bike.cornell.edu/pdfs/Sid...biking_FAQ.pdf
    Your link proves my point. In all of the crash cases exhibited between bikes and motor vehicles, the chances that the biker was on the sidewalk was between 15%-48%. That means that many more crashes occur when the biker is not on the sidewalk.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason you have to share the road is because cyclist are assholes when they share the sidewalk with pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Your link proves my point. In all of the crash cases exhibited between bikes and motor vehicles, the chances that the biker was on the sidewalk was between 15%-48%. That means that many more crashes occur when the biker is not on the sidewalk.
    So when there was a crash the car driver wasn't paying attention to their surroundings?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Depends on where you live. I live in a more rural area. They have sidewalks in town, and most people on bikes can get away with using it there. But on...pretty much any road outside the city limits here, we don't really have bike lanes or anything. Bicyclists are usually a hazard in that case because people either have to lane shift over solid yellow lines to get around them, or you have a line of like 20 cars following a bicycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    But that vehicle tax has no impact on the roads.
    Man the way y'all are trying to weasel yourselves out of this is pathetic.

It's in my job description to drive a vehicle. I'm not taking a load weighing 2000+lbs all over augusta and rockingham county on the back of a fucking bicycle. Even if I could, it wouldn't even be feasibly possible to get there in time to do my job.

You choose to drive a vehicle.
    I chose to have a job and show up to work. You know, one of those things you need to support a family and have nice things? You chose to ride your bike today for fun.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling like what I am doing is a lot more important.

You lose me though when you talk about paying X amount for your car and insurance and that gives you more rights than people who pay Y.
    If it's a law for me to pay for your peace of mind y'all sure as hell better be making sure I have peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Depends on where you live. I live in a more rural area. They have sidewalks in town, and most people on bikes can get away with using it there. But on...pretty much any road outside the city limits here, we don't really have bike lanes or anything. Bicyclists are usually a hazard in that case because people either have to lane shift over solid yellow lines to get around them, or you have a line of like 20 cars following a bicycle.
    What's wrong with slowing down?

- - - Updated - - -

It's in my job description to drive a vehicle. I'm not taking a load weighing 2000+lbs all over augusta and rockingham county on the back of a fucking bicycle. Even if I could, it wouldn't even be feasibly possible to get there in time to do my job.

I chose to have a job and show up to work. You know, one of those things you need to support a family and have nice things? You chose to ride your bike today for fun.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling like what I am doing is a lot more important.

If it's a law for me to pay for your peace of mind y'all sure as hell better be making sure I have peace of mind.
    You honestly have zero idea what you are talking about.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    You honestly have zero idea what you are talking about.
    You've posted nothing but one line replies contributing little to any kind of discussion so excuse me if I'm a little skeptical when you suggest you know what you're talking about.

Maybe you should go back to crying about how you're too ugly to get a girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Yup, you're wrong. They have a legal right to use the road.
    They have the legal right to use the road... and the legal obligation to follow the rules of the road for all vehicles. Like stop signs. And stop lights. And signaling.

You've posted nothing but one line replies contributing little to any kind of discussion so excuse me if I'm a little skeptical when you suggest you know what you're talking about.

Maybe you should go back to crying about how you're too ugly to get a girlfriend.
    Not really relevant to the fact that you think you deserve more rights than other people because you are in a motor vehicle.

That is not how it works. You are not entitled to more because you choose to pollute on an individual scale. You do not get more right because you paid a vehicle tax because your car is destroying the road. You do not get more rights because you think you are better than someone who is more fit than you.

If you cannot handle being in the road with other vehicles you are the one that shouldn't be on the road.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2016-08-11 at 05:45 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Those are only the intersection related crashes. From the article:

Bicycling on the sidewalk eliminates the relatively small danger to cyclists of crashes
    with overtaking motorists, but increases the potential for more common intersection
    collisions.
    Once again, the perception is that someone is safer riding on the sidewalk than on the
    road—and many motorists and even law enforcement officers repeat that message. The
    problem is that, as the numbers above suggest, bicyclists are not safer on the sidewalk
    because they become almost invisible to the motorist.
    Bicyclists on a sidewalk or bicycle path incur greater risk than those on the roadway (on
    average 1.8 times as great), most likely because of blind conflicts at intersections.
    Bicyclists on a sidewalk or bicycle path incur greater risk than those on the roadway (on
    average 1.8 times as great), most likely because of blind conflicts at intersections. Wrongway
    sidewalk bicyclists are at even greater risk, and sidewalk bicycling appears to increase
    the incidence of wrong-way travel.
    Then of course there are other studies which all say the same:

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/Accident-Study.pdf

Or pretty much any of the studies found here:

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?st...=en&as_sdt=0,5

Most require a subscription, but some are free to view.

- - - Updated - - -

You're the one who brought up the extra costs of a vehicle making you more entitled.

Get a different job if you don't want to pay the extra costs.

Nope, I chose to walk or ride my bike because I'm not lazy, didn't apply to a job that would have me bitching and moaning online, and that was within walking distance (1 hour walk or 15 minute bike)

You have no idea what I do nor any idea of what the cyclists around you do.

I don't mind cyclists that follow the rules of the road. This means obeying traffic controls, riding single file, staying to the right hand side of the lane, signaling and to a lesser extent wearing actual protective gear. All the things the highway codes dictate.

Unfortunately it's not universal. It's a fuckin' coin toss if a cyclist actually stops at a 4-way or red light, unless it's busy. But that's fuckin' irrelevant. You're a vehicle on the road, you're obligated to follow the laws all other vehicles have to. Do that, then there's no problems.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It's basically my dream to legally cause the death of an inattentive biker that doesn't obey rules of the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie49 View Post
    well, if i was driving my car under 25mph, i'd get pulled over and ticketed as a safety hazard. but its ok if you're on a bike because reasons

its pretty damn rude to slow people down like that, and its also quite dangerous as most motorists try to give extra space and it causes lane shifting. there should either be bike lanes or they should have to use the sidewalk imo
    It's about as dangerous as talking and texting while driving. But yes, there should be bike lanes, why not push your local government into adding more?
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I don't mind cyclists that follow the rules of the road. This means obeying traffic controls, riding single file, staying to the right hand side of the lane, signaling and to a lesser extent wearing actual protective gear. All the things the highway codes dictate.

Unfortunately it's not universal. It's a fuckin' coin toss if a cyclist actually stops at a 4-way or red light, unless it's busy. But that's fuckin' irrelevant. You're a vehicle on the road, you're obligated to follow the laws all other vehicles have to. Do that, then there's no problems.
    Staying to the right isn't exactly in the law for cyclists. It's stay as far right that is safe to do so. Many instances make hugging the right unsafe for cyclists.

For example:
    Drivers that don't want to do a proper pass will try and squeeze next to the cyclist without actually changing lanes. Staying closer to the middle prevents them from being able to do this.

Or a lot of the time debris builds up near the curbs providing uneven/rocky road and increasing the risk of losing control.

http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/chapter2a.htm
    http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/