Thumbs down Character name disappears when entering combat

So I have "my name" checked in, but since this pre-patch, my name is gone when I enter combat. How to resolve this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, but it's driving me nuts. I want my nameplate to show all the time, just like it always has. I've been messing around with settings and cvars all day and I haven't found the right one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    I don't know, but it's driving me nuts. I want my nameplate to show all the time, just like it always has. I've been messing around with settings and cvars all day and I haven't found the right one yet.
    Same here. If you find something out please do tell me!

- - - Updated - - -

While i'm at it, the new nameplates have fucked everything up, its not even possible to distinguish players from npcs at distance, how to fix this garbage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    Same here. If you find something out please do tell me!

- - - Updated - - -

While i'm at it, the new nameplates have fucked everything up, its not even possible to distinguish players from npcs at distance, how to fix this garbage?
    No idea. I have never used a lot of nameplate addons, but I believe this weekend I will be downloading a bunch of them one by one until I find one that addresses some of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    No idea. I have never used a lot of nameplate addons, but I believe this weekend I will be downloading a bunch of them one by one until I find one that addresses some of this stuff.
    I've been trying to contact blizz support but they're support site is not responding, not just ingame but via website as well

"SOMETHING WENT WRONG ON OUR END

An error has occurred. This may be a temporary error, so please try again later.

Blizzard Support Home
    Error code:
    serfsdfsdfserwer2w34erwer2w34234"

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you'd get very far with CS anyway. This kind of thing, fortunately or unfortunately, tends to get resolved by the player community, generally via addon. This whole change with name plates really kind of appears to be one of those things that gets changed "for the sake of changing something". I don't think the player community was hating nameplates before, or struggling to use them. But some dev or three thought we needed nameplates to be different, so here we are.

As far as the not being able to distinguish players/npcs from a distance, I really noticed this today while playing on my hunter. My main is a resto druid so I use raid frames for healing, and nameplates aren't such a big deal. But today I did the scenario and some invasions with my BM hunter... and finding the right targets from even halfway of the max distance on a ranged class is a pain in the ass. The plates don't even show up until I'm a few yards away, so I'm left with only assist or tab targeting. I dislike assist in most cases because most of the time depending on another player to target something in a timely manner... well. And tab targeting is bad for a lot of reasons.

On top of that, the UI kept favoring flagged enemy faction players, as opposed to the demons invading (I wasn't flagged myself, so I kept getting warnings and having to retarget, again a pain in the ass). If I clicked a scrum of players/npcs trying to target the demon in the group, even though the demon was oversized, it would usually pick the flagged player instead.

Anyhow. I suspect the solution is just a good addon that will embiggen the plates and show the plates I want, when I want to see them. Already got 91 addons installed... what's one more? ;x

Deleted
    Interface - Names - disable "Personal Resource Display" fixed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora Twinblade View Post
    Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora Twinblade View Post
    I like the personal display though... I want both! (So demanding, I know.)