Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Texas police department creates a Safe Exchange Zone

https://www.facebook.com/tomballpd/p...54350656157789

The Tomball Police Department has initiated a new community policing program called a Safe Exchange Zone. The Safe Exchange Zone program is intended to address the safety concerns brought about with on-line purchases from websites such as Craigslist, eBay, Facebook groups, classified ads, and other sources, as well as to provide a safe location for families with visitation rights to make the custodial exchange. While many of these websites are heavily utilized and credible, their popularity makes buyers and sellers an easy target for criminal activity from online predators.

The Tomball Police Department had dedicated a space in the front parking lot of the police station located at 400 Fannin. The Safe Exchange Zone is available to the public 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and is under 24 hour video surveillance.

The Safe Exchange Zone may not be used to make illegal transactions of narcotics, dangerous or deadly weapons, or any other dangerous materials. In addition, Tomball Police Department employees will not act as witness or be a part of any transactions. Remember that Police Personnel are not trained nor authorized to validate the legitimacy of any transaction, item for sale, or integrity or legality of a sale. The Tomball Police Department is simply providing a safe location to conduct business.

The Tomball Police Department advises that anyone intending to set up a meeting to buy or sell an item should remember these tips to help make your transaction as safe as possible. Never provide your personal or financial information to anyone you’re meeting. When taking photos of items you are selling disable your location services on your mobile devices. Also be aware of your backgrounds when you are taking pictures of items to list. You don’t want to inadvertently reveal personal information that would make you a target to predators.

The Tomball Police Department has the only Safe Exchange Zone in a 20 mile radius. Please utilize the Safe Exchange Zone to help create a safe transaction for all parties involved.

The Tomball Police Department would like to thank SS Graphics for donating the signs for the Safe Exchange Zone

Deleted
    not sure what there is to discuss here other than saying this is a good idea

Holy shit this is an EXTREMELY good idea!

Deleted
    really annoying when people post a news article, and nothing else. at least tell us your opinion on it, or what you want us to discuss about it

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty good idea, though I would have a few more spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    really annoying when people post a news article, and nothing else. at least tell us your opinion on it, or what you want us to discuss about it
    We get enough editorializing in the news as it is.

But yea, there's really nothing to complain about here, it's a great idea and hopefully one that becomes more popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Safe spaces are ruining America!!!
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Would kind of prefer to have a officer there but that is really nit picking at that point.

Safe spaces done Texas style?

That's a good idea. In my area they are set up by users in well lit public areas, but it would be even better if police were involved.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, that's an amazing idea. Hope to see more cities follow suit.

Saw that my town put up a few of these, not right by the cop shop, but all under surveillance 24/7 in well lit and populated areas. Great idea.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A SEX zone in front of cameras? Hm, hm.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Good idea. We are always wary of selling anything on Craigslist. Usually meet at the busy ass convenience store up the street but we recently sold some couches that needed to be picked up. I met them up the street first and checked em out then drove to the house where the couches were sitting in the drive way. And I was packing heat. Still made me nervous.

15+ Year Old Account
    "If police response in needed, call 9-1-1..."

Hmm...
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Would kind of prefer to have a officer there but that is really nit picking at that point.
    It's on the parking lot of a police station. If you really think you need an officer, I'm sure they wouldn't mind coming out to help you.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    we have had one of these setup in my town for at least 3 year now at the local cop shop, ive never used it. going to a strangers house to buy a used cell phone is like half the excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    we have had one of these setup in my town for at least 3 year now at the local cop shop, ive never used it. going to a strangers house to buy a used cell phone is like half the excitement.
    And how often have you hoped it's a hot chick?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

So this is what an actual physical safe-space looks like, neat.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance