Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well @Reeve, I wait for them to move and they do not. They just sit there, in the way, impeding traffic as if they were a tractor.

The last time this happened, dude just sat there. Had like 10 cars behind him. No one could pass on the other side of the road because of the traffic. He wouldn't get over. Everyone is getting off work and trying to go home. It's packed and it's like a hundred fucking degrees outside and my AC hadn't been recharged. Because, like, who needs AC in a convertible? It's a fuckin' convertible.

WELL ME APPARENTLY HOLY SHIT

Haha, your ego must be huge for you too feel this important.
    it is merely a formality - i assure you that i tell your grandma she's fine and actually help her find the bread she wants to buy. but point is everyone's grandma clearly has better manners than half the people coming up with no real argument for this reprehensible behavior

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    it is merely a formality - i assure you that i tell your grandma she's fine and actually help her find the bread she wants to buy. but point is everyone's grandma clearly has better manners than half the people coming up with no real argument for this reprehensible behavior
    Sorry that people are using the road for its intended purpose(they can't use the sidewalk, after-all) during your work hours is so horrible that his majesty is bothered by it.

Or is the road owned by your company or something?

lol
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2016-08-11 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Sorry that people are allowed to use the road for its intended purpose(they can't use the sidewalk, after-all) during your work hours is so horrible that his majesty is bothered by it.
    There is a difference between sharing the road and hogging the road. When I ride my bike on the road I am over close to or on the shoulder. I dont ride in the middle of the lane and impede vehicle traffic like as ass clown.

10+ Year Old Account
    i accept apologies in the form of blow, bud, chicken nuggets, mozarella sticks, superchargers, mustang parts, cold craft beer exceeding 6.5% ABV and pizza

Fuck i thought you were talking about motorcycles at first, and i was all like "HELL YEAH YOU'RE WRONG", but then i re-read it, and it's about bicycles...technically they have the same legal right to be on the road, but they need to get the fuck over and let faster traffic go past. If you were in a car going that slow they'd ticket you for impeding traffic. Bikes do the same thing when they don't move to the side where they are SUPPOSED to be, not in the middle of the road.

7+ Year Old Account
    Meh. Most cyclists are cunts. I like to get in front of them and match speed so they eat my exhaust. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    There is a difference between sharing the road and hogging the road. When I ride my bike on the road I am over close to or on the shoulder. I dont ride in the middle of the lane and impede vehicle traffic like as ass clown.
    Good thing I was not talking about those kind of riders then, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Meh. Most cyclists are cunts. I like to get in front of them and match speed so they eat my exhaust. /shrug
    Atleast you admit you're as much as a cunt as those you hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both of you should probably see a therapist for that.
    There is nothing unusual about wanting to run a cyclist over when you want to go faster than 10mph and the road isn't wide enough for you to over take or has constant incoming traffic.

I admit it is now slightly more bearable that at least at such a slow speed you can hatch Pokemon eggs.

Lotta bitter people that haven't ridden enough to have any real perspective on this. If you haven't ridden and driven a fair bit, you're really not in a position to objectively evaluate why cyclists ride where they ride.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    There is nothing unusual about wanting to run a cyclist over when you want to go faster than 10mph and the road isn't wide enough for you to over take or has constant incoming traffic.
    There really is something pretty unusual about this. Being so upset about losing 45 seconds that you want to kill someone is pathological.

7+ Year Old Account
    Atleast you admit you're as much as a cunt as those you hate.
    Honesty is important. But if you can't go at least 3/4 of the speed limit, you need to get the fuck off the road no matter what you're driving/riding. Fuck old people, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There really is something pretty unusual about this. Being so upset about losing 45 seconds that you want to kill someone is pathological.
    45sec? Not if that is a long road.

Near where I am if you are stuck you could be stuck there for a good 10-15min.

Now that is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    So basically, my vehicle taxes financially carry cyclists? So not only are they a nuisance on the road, they're a drain on my wallet. They are not required to be licensed, so they are not required to undergo any type of safety training, and they don't pay anything towards the road
    Most cyclists also have cars in the United States. Many (like me) pay much more in median taxes than the average person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    They should have to use the sidewalk like other pedestrians.
    This is another example of someone that obviously hasn't ridden a bike enough to have any meaningful opinion about it.

- - - Updated - - -

45sec? Not if that is a long road.

Near where I am if you are stuck you could be stuck there for a good 10-15min.

Now that is a different story.
    I can honestly say that I've never been delayed by a cyclist for anywhere near this long. I'd be surprised if I've ever even been held up for a full minute and I've driven quite a few miles in my life.

If this is something you're experiencing with any regularity, you should lobby for some better local infrastructure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can honestly say that I've never been delayed by a cyclist for anywhere near this long. I'd be surprised if I've ever even been held up for a full minute and I've driven quite a few miles in my life.

If this is something you're experiencing with any regularity, you should lobby for some better local infrastructure.
    There is a stretch of road on my route to work, speed limit is 40mph, altho most of the time people do 50-60mph, and still take a good 5min or so to get through this road. This road is narrow, and almost always have incoming traffic during work or finish hours, so if you are off home and stuck behind a bike, you would be there for a while, a long while.

Deleted
    I'm telling how it works in germany (or should work). Now I don't know how wide your roads are but a lane on german streets is generally between 2,75 and 3,75m. Yes, you are also told to drive right as far as possible. How far that is comes down to what happened in several courtcases and in general it's about 1m to the Roadside, Sidewalk and parking cars. Depending on the circumstances sometimes even more. Another thing is that 1m counts from the right side of your handlebars. Being too close makes you partially responsible for accidents.
    Now if you take the average german lane that puts you in the middle of the road. Technically, if a car overtakes you there should be 1,5m distance between you, meaning they have to switch the lane anyways.
    Driving on the "Abstellstreifen", the "lane" on the right side of the road, if it's there, is also illegal for Cyclists. It's the same for cars. Even if you drive fast enough t's also illegal to drive on "Schnellstraßen" (minspeed 60km/h) and "Autobahnen".

If Wikipedia is right the "drive as far right as possible" thing comes from a time when a horse and cart were common. They were obviously way bigger than bicyles so they actually had to drive as far right as possible.
    In general it seems most states either don't specify safe overtaking or say min 3 feet (~1m). So unless you have very wide road, you'd probably need to switch lanes anyways.

Reading more about it the only real difference to germany is that you can use the sidewalk unless prohibited where in germany it's the other way around (or your a child or with children) you drive on the road unless there is a blue sign telling you to drive on the sidewalk.
    Even riding 2 abreast is generally allowed unless it impedes traffic. Meaning if you have your cars width + 3 feet + bicycle (2-2,5 feet?) + bicyle driving "as far right as possible" allows you to overtake but adding another bicyclerider doesn't.
    Oh and taking the full lane when traveling at the normal speed of traffic (unlikely), passing, preparing for a turn, avoiding hazards, traveling in a lane too narrow to share and avoiding a mandatory turn lane is fine, too.

If you have regular problems with cyclists, annoy your local government. If several people have the same problem they will hopefully do something about it.

PS: In regard to taxes: even if you pay some, a car weighing ~2 tons wears a road down vastly more than a bicycle at ~10 kg. You could even argue that the only thing wearing down modern roads are just trucks, especially ones with few axles. In that regard tolls are kinda backwards in that more axles cost more I believe.
    I don't know how much tax you pay but in germany insurance and general tax for a car depends on how new it is and some other things (what kinda motor, capacity etc.). On average general tax is around 194€ per year, insurance depends. So even if I had to pay for a bicycle it would be less than 1€ per year (If you include the person then it would stil only be ~8). Insurance would be mostly damage to the cyclist and damage caused by a bicyclecrash is vastly lower than another car ramming you, so it's not really necessary. Not to mention KFZ-Steuern aren't even used for roads, but get put in the big pot of governmental spending.
    Last edited by mmocdfca36c20d; 2016-08-11 at 10:47 PM.

There is a stretch of road on my route to work, speed limit is 40mph, altho most of the time people do 50-60mph, and still take a good 5min or so to get through this road. This road is narrow, and almost always have incoming traffic during work or finish hours, so if you are off home and stuck behind a bike, you would be there for a while, a long while.
    Yeah, I wouldn't ride there. That sucks.

I honestly don't understand why someone would ride there. Personally, I just don't like to inconvenience others and being in the way anywhere makes me feel uncomfortable. A stretch of road where the natural rate of speed is ~50 MPH and shoulders aren't available isn't a good place to ride.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Honesty is important. But if you can't go at least 3/4 of the speed limit, you need to get the fuck off the road no matter what you're driving/riding. Fuck old people, too.
    Blame the government for not adding bike lanes then, its against the law to ride a bike on the sidewalk.
    Is the US still this primitive?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I wouldn't ride there. That sucks.

I honestly don't understand why someone would ride there. Personally, I just don't like to inconvenience others and being in the way anywhere makes me feel uncomfortable. A stretch of road where the natural rate of speed is ~50 MPH and shoulders aren't available isn't a good place to ride.
    Lack of choice.

That is one of the 2 links from the town where I live and the town where I work.

The other link is a bit longer, has a long stretch of dual carriage way, but still has a small stretch of similar road.

So you wouldn't really have a choice.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have only one problem with bikes on the road: holding everyone else up. If the self-important little selfish turds would get out of the way when 10 or more cars are piled up behind them, they would have more supporters.

The attitude of these people creates their own enemies. They want respect?

Then fkng show some.

Blame the government for not adding bike lanes then, its against the law to ride a bike on the sidewalk.
    Is the US still this primitive?
    we are a country the size of your continent with a very spread out population, its a lot easier to make bike lanes there then it is here because we got alot more road then you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    I have only one problem with bikes on the road: holding everyone else up. If the self-important little selfish turds would get out of the way when 10 or more cars are piled up behind them, they would have more supporters.

The attitude of these people creates their own enemies. They want respect?

Then fkng show some.
    biggest issue i have is in the city bikers who don't realize they are a lot harder to see then cars and will hide in your blind spot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    biggest issue i have is in the city bikers who don't realize they are a lot harder to see then cars and will hide in your blind spot.
    Which would force them to do the technically correct thing and drive more towards the middle of the road and piss off more people, yay.