Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb {Easter Egg} Illidan has main character powers?! Since When?! Auto-res explianed?

If in the Demon Hunter starter quest you choose to sacrifice yourself and not the other demon hunter you... anti-climatically walk back to your corpse as normal. However when you do it triggers a message from Illidan commenting how interesting it is "you also have an immortal demon soul".

A) What does this say about all those Paladin player characters and what have you? Probably nothing, but damn could this all go somewhere.

B) They actually came up with an in story reason why Illidan keeps getting brought back and it's actually a little clever.

C) When did Illidan figure out he could Res? He calls it having a "demon's soul" implying it's post-Skull (whether he's right is again up for grabs). He says this before his Boss battle. Did Arthas actually kill him?! Or did he find out even sooner. Perhaps this isn't a recent power, he could have whisped back on battlefields as far back as the of the War of Ancients without even himself realizing.

Video- Illidan explains "Get back in your corpse!":

10+ Year Old Account
    That speech from Illidan cought me by surprise, I chose to kill my DH for lulz to see what happens.

I guess it's a band aid fix to explain how Illidan 'comes back' after we killed him in TBC?
    PM me weird stuff :3

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Meh it's just a nice little lore-moment as to why that character could sacrifice himself and come back, wouldn't read anything else into it.

Every demon has an immortal demon soul... It's why they keep coming back. This was just an explanation as to how the player comes back to life, nothing else.

So we all have immortal demon souls??? Woah so that is how twisting netherl looks like (white world)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lukoil View Post
    So we all have immortal demon souls??? Woah so that is how twisting netherl looks like (white world)
    The realm players visit when dead is called the Shadowlands, and it aligns with Death and Necromancy in the WCU.

Deleted
    It's just something they pulled out of their asses to justify you sacrificing yourself. Stop reading too much into something the writers came up with on the whim to serve the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameasun View Post
    It's just something they pulled out of their asses to justify you sacrificing yourself. Stop reading too much into something the writers came up with on the whim to serve the story.
    I remember doing that quest in the blasted lands to bring that demon hunter back from the dead. You had to get all of his body parts back and assemble it upon the alter of the storm, so the demon soul thing has been in the game since cata.

7+ Year Old Account
    Heh. Not really, they've gone to great lengths to reverse-engineer the Illidan story and perfect the whole demon hunter thing. If only you knew how far they've gone, you wouldn't make such statements.

In any case, the recent novel makes clear that Illidan is quite a mystic. At first, like most mystics, he was an unwilling one, made that way by the fact that Sargeras had burned out his eyes and given him a vast insight into the Legion, but also terrible visions while he was imprisoned that he did not know the meaning of and had no idea what to do with. He describes how slowly over time he figured out what he was seeing and how to interpret. It's not a big jump to go on to think that he'd understand what he'd become after he consumed the power of the Skull of Gul'dan and what would happen to his soul if he ever kicked the bucket.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kage View Post
    A) What does this say about all those Paladin player characters and what have you? Probably nothing, but damn could this all go somewhere.
    Nothing at all; at the moment it ain't cannon...
    and if it was... who is to say we don't have another greater good looking out for us?

Yeah it was interesting to see when I decided to sacrifice my own DH. Can someone who chose the NPC DH for sacrifice comment on what happens instead? I believe you have to choose between that same DH and another DH to be your follower at one point in time, is that NPC DH replaced with another DH character if he was sacrificed? Or does he also have a demon soul?

It's been around for ages that demons go into the twisting nether and wait for a proper body. It was speculated all the way back in tbc that illidan was a demon hybrid who would end up there and they were right.

Ends up sufficiently power dhs get this "boon"

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    and if it was... who is to say we don't have another greater good looking out for us?
    I believe it is canon. Someone was telling me that valkyr that refused to serve Helya stay in the shadowlands to return heroes to life if they died before their time (spirit healers).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    It's been around for ages that demons go into the twisting nether and wait for a proper body. It was speculated all the way back in tbc that illidan was a demon hybrid who would end up there and they were right.

Ends up sufficiently power dhs get this "boon"
    This.

I can't believe people think this is some shocking revelation.

But that is the glorious definition of Nerdom. Embrace it, join us, we have cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Not completely. It also explains why demons we've already killed are back alive again on the Broken Shore, or Archimonde in Hellfire Citadel for that matter.
    Yet it opens a can of worms that demon hunters don't just take on corruption, they take on a demon's soul? So they are quite literally not fel tainted or using fel energy to fight the fel, they are, quite simply, demons themselves now? Illidan was considered a little unique due to the Skull of Gul'dan transforming him to being more demonic than the average demon hunter, but this suggests that demon hunters are all demon souls in their elven bodies?

So what happened to the elf? Elf soul merged with demon soul? Both souls with elf soul in control? Etc, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Kay, explain how something in a main questline "isn't cannon"? Anyway if you look at the rest of what I said I posited and to be honest favor the theory that this has simply always been something he was capable of. If he only realized the ability after consuming the skull it would be a reasonable leap of logic. I'd go so far as to further extrapolate he may have died before he changed. War is chaotic it stands to reason he could have had even a few "close calls" and simply come up with a different explanation having never realizing he'd truly died. It's unlikely but it sounds cool. Raise your hands if your also writing this fanfic?

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    players dying in game is literally non-canon its just a game thing like i.e falling/pvp/wipe, but when you killed yourself as a demon hunter, it actually happened ( game lorewise ), i did it, i thought that is not going to happen, but we know now that our demon hunter is demon or more so actual game death will send him back to the TN like what happened in that quest

7+ Year Old Account
    a demon never truly dies.
    their souls get thrown back into the twisting nether there they gain a new body.

also, player deaths arent even canon.
    the only canon death so far is when we got backstabbed by arthas in wrath.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Nayami View Post
    Yeah it was interesting to see when I decided to sacrifice my own DH. Can someone who chose the NPC DH for sacrifice comment on what happens instead? I believe you have to choose between that same DH and another DH to be your follower at one point in time, is that NPC DH replaced with another DH character if he was sacrificed? Or does he also have a demon soul?
    That's shown at the end of the video in the intial post. He's not either of the guys who's your second in command but he could be a less important follower in Class Halls perhaps? There doesn't seem to be any penalty for killing beyond missing a cool twist on a corpse run.