Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post Game's visuals way behind current gen games

Anyone else notice this.

For example, this is how the next xpac, legion looks. (Images from google search WoW legion)

The fact that Blizz is still trying to cater to people playing on low spec computers really hurts everyone. WoW would be doing so much better if it actually overhauled it's engine so that it was actually competitive with current games. Back in WOTLK you might have been able to get away with the "we're refining the engine" excuse but now the game's engine is just so dated. It doesn't even come close to any current gen games and it's a big problem in attracting new subs. It really is time for Blizz to reassess their future with the game and whether to consider a sequel or a significantly improved/new engine.

Compared to current gen games :

FFXIV

Tomb Raider

Uncharted 4

No Man's Sky

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

lmao comparing wow and ffxiv with singleplayer games.

WoW looks better than the examples you gave. First of, they cannot be compared, secondly WoW's art style is more pleasing to the eyes and is associated with Warcraft as a whole by now so changing it would ruin the way we view the game. And thirdly, no one gives a shit.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    nice comparison such fail... and ya even though FFX14 may look *better* which is subjective which game does still better? ding ding not the one with the *better* graphics

10+ Year Old Account
    *runs wow on lowest settings then takes screencap
    *compares to games that are suppose to look real and not intently look cartoonish

7+ Year Old Account
    1. A LOT of people still play on older PCs and they will need to turn down the graphics to low
    2. FFXIV is the only MMO on that list, single player (or non MMO in general) games tend to be easier to make with better graphics since there isn't as much stuff going on(by that I mean a ton of people and effects can be controlled better)
    3. A lot of people would be turned down if they stepped away from the cartoonish style

They only engine overhaul I would think would be useful is supporting multi core CPU's, and maybe a bit of a lighting update.
    The zones in Legion actually look amazing, you can't see all the lighting effect and terrain movements on screenshots

10+ Year Old Account
    Well no shit sherlock WoW's engine is really really old. Also one key to WoW's huge succes was that it ran on most computers. The graphics are still awesome in my opinion. I love the cartoony feel like in WC3
    10700K, 32GB 3200Mhz, RTX 3080 Ti

Deleted
    Tbh you'd probably find that less people would play if WoW's visual design was completely overhauled.

Personally I think WoW still looks really good. Some bits could be polished up a bit more, like vanilla sky boxes, but overall they've done well with the game's aesthetic. A lighting upgrade wouldn't hurt either really, that's probably one of the biggest changes they could make to make the game look better.

This has to be a canadian problem.

10 year old game still beating out new games that might be high in play value for 2 years max.

Tennisace creating the good threads again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terror Earth View Post
    Tbh you'd probably find that less people would play if WoW's visual design was completely overhauled.
    Pretty much, 3 of my friends can barely handle Legion on low even, and I just recently upgraded my PC to be able to switch from the 3/10 preset to 10/10 with AA

WoW has been way behind current gen graphics for half of its existence.

So long as the game retains a decent sized player base, they don't have any real reason to do a WoW2.

edit: and the stupid arguments about WoW's style sure were quick to crop up.
    WoW's art style being cartoony has literally absolutely nothing to do with graphical fidelity.
    Last edited by Arewn; 2016-08-12 at 07:33 PM.

first, wows artstyle is cartoony, and making it super realistic is a horrible idea
    second, good job comparing a game that will have hundreds of npcs all walking around you at the same time, to single player games where at once there is most of 10 npcs on screen at time, and all npcs, not controlled by real people
    third, the whole point of wows art style is so people with shitty computers can run it
    fourth, "most people" yeah sure... no one plays wow cause 'HOLY SHIT DEM GRAFICS" its a mmo, they never have as good graphics as single player games, simply because they are alot more draining on pc's single player games blow mmo's out of the water with the graphics
    fifth, sometimes having worse graphics is actually better... for example looking at a npc in wow i can say "wow thats a wow npc!" but looking at a npc from final fantasy, rift, tera, or many of the other "hyper realistic mmo's" i cant tell what fucking game its from because they have NO ART-STYLE its just realistic

wow is about its catoony look, like a comic book or a Saturday morning cartoon, its meant to be out of proportion, its meant to look silly, as everything in wow is meant to have abit of comedy in it, but can still go into those dark moments, and thats why its so special

also nice screenshots, using lower settings... cause there is much higher settings for wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icoblablubb View Post
    nice comparison such fail... and ya even though FFX14 may look *better* which is subjective which game does still better? ding ding not the one with the *better* graphics
    How is it a fail comparison? I compared WoW to other open world games that are out. The goal is to show how far behind the game is and that Blizz seriously needs to address this.

>Comparing old MMOs with nextgen singleplayer games

Quality thread sir.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    For example, this is how the next xpac, legion looks. (Images from google search WoW legion)
    The fact that Blizz is still trying to cater to people playing on low spec computers really hurts everyone.
    No, it doesnt you butthurt-for-no-reason-single-player-dude. WoWs engine is the reason it still has so many players...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    How is it a fail comparison? I compared WoW to other open world games that are out. The goal is to show how far behind the game is and that Blizz seriously needs to address this.
    compare an MMO with singleplayer games which are designed to LOOK more realistic thats you're fail .. compare it to other mmos, and still WoW has more players than any of you're listed singleplayer arpg's .. and as u see in this thread pretty much no one thinks like u .. as we are not that fixated on ubernextgenrealisticgraphics where u need 980+ to even play with solid 60fps .. WoW is cartony and for that the graphics suits the game well.. but hey u can go play FFX14 that u listed if its so much more pretty why do u even care for that *shitty looking* WoW as it will stay with that style?
    Last edited by Icoblablubb; 2016-08-12 at 07:37 PM.

WoW's stylized graphics look better than any MMO that goes for a "realistic" approach. Especially FF14

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icoblablubb View Post
    compare an MMO with singleplayer games which are designed to LOOK more realistic thats you're fail .. compare it to other mmos
    Logically that doesn't make sense. You think the average gamer is gonna be like "Oh WoW is an MMO so I shouldn't expect it to be competitive with the latest games" ?

Absolutely not. The drop in subscribers proves this.