Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I always wonder why people want to RP some exotic concepts that badly. Do they have a problem with self-esteem or something like that?
    Can you elaborate on that? Do you think that people who are "confident" should play boring and down-to-earth stuff in order to prove how fine they are with being plain and normal?

It is a matter of preferences and genuinely liking exotic stuff is part of having unique taste.

My friend Dan is obsessed with the Doomhammer and Ashbringer, but they are just pixels.

Stood in the Fire The5thVegetable's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh yes, i've seen the separation between people who are really strict and like to stretch the lore. Personally, i'm in the crowd who likes to stretch the lore in RP- without breaking it, of course.

A while back, when we were doing a D&D-style adventure in-game, I stacked up on the anniversary wands and utilized them to RP a Murloc Tidecaller called Markrgrl(Mark for short, for comedic appeal!). His reason for leaving his home behind was because he'd had a vision that urged him to go on a long journey, and he'd learned the virtues of hospitality on the way and learned to speak broken common/Orcish. Both I and the people I played with loved him- especially when one of our party members tried to wear him like a hat!

I've also tried RPing as a blue dragon who settled down in Stormwind in human guise once the blue dragonflight disbanded. Sadly, I didn't RP her much, so no one really ever figured out what she was beyond the fact she was a very talented mage. I don't have any issues with any things like these if they're pulled off properly.

Another topic I find highly controversial is ERP. I've heard Defias Brotherhood(EU) considers ERP a massive taboo. I once met someone who came from LoTRO who was also very set against it- though where i'm from, it's very much an accepted practice. (Though I generally only tend to do it myself when it occurs naturally.) Another thing that is common on my realm is the common practice of incorporating humor into RP(to a reasonable degree), often consisting of sheer silliness and/or references(we once encountered 3 Ogron on Draenor who held 13 dwarves and a gnome rogue captive,) which I can imagine might be considered somewhat taboo by the far more serious RPers out there(like the "GoT drama queens".)

As for the whole genetics thing, it's hard to tell, really. Though hasn't there been examples of bio-engineering in Warcraft? Or has this been purely magic-based?
    Last edited by The5thVegetable; 2016-08-12 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alefnir View Post
    I really don't care if people RP the typically taboo things, ex: mixed races, san'layn, dragons- just so long as they do it right and do it well. These things are taboo, I feel, because they are done poorly so often by people who godmod or don't know the lore or are generally immature. But as long as you don't do those things, go ahead. They aren't lorebreaking; mixed races exist in lore, san'layn are basically belf blood DKs who I'm sure could defect to the Ebon Blade and dragons take humanoid form all the time.
    Well, for the few years I've been roleplaying, I've encountered like two taunka, a yaungol, too many highborne to count, a high elf, a half-elf, a member of the green dragonflight (saw it on his MRP profile) and I myself roleplayed a furbolg shaman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    As an extra note for the poster Kalecgos: If you must RP a dragon, please avoid the black flight. Wrathion is potentially the only black dragon on Azeroth. And if not, he is the only one (barring Legion spoilers) that is not under the control of the Old Gods. RPing a black dragon is the quickest way to join the 90%.
    What if you RP a black dragon in the Outlands? There's a whole brood there living under the rule of Sabellian, son of Deathwing.

Deleted
    [As an extra note for the poster Kalecgos: If you must RP a dragon, please avoid the black flight. Wrathion is potentially the only black dragon on Azeroth. And if not, he is the only one (barring Legion spoilers) that is not under the control of the Old Gods. RPing a black dragon is the quickest way to join the 90%.
    Thanks for the advice! Rest assured that if I RP'd a dragon, it will be a very narrow scale kind of things (as in, people who meet my character will never know that he is a dragon; they will only percieve the character as an extremely powerful magic user. Only my friends will in D&D type of adventures and what not.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post

It's as if they played a DK and went through the whole starting experience where they throw fruit at you etc, but then neglected to turn in the last quest where Varian clearly announces they are to be treated as heroes of the Alliance....
    The sentiment that death knights aren't allowed in this, that, or another place is unfortunately very common on Argent Dawn EU. I refuse to take it seriously.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriandr Zhora View Post
    The sentiment that death knights aren't allowed in this, that, or another place is unfortunately very common on Argent Dawn EU. I refuse to take it seriously.
    Same actually. I have quite a few good role playing friends that capture the death knight quite well, without sounding like edge lords nor sounding like a normal living being, and at the same time feel very natural to see in the cities. THey know where to participate and what to partake in, and that works greatly.

The way I see death knights at this point is that they are allowed to be in the major cities as long as they don't cause troubles, so pretty much like any other class in essence. The difference is, death knights need to inflict pain and suffering to "survive", so as long as they do that off screen without sounding like fucking edge lords, it is great to RP with a good DK.

It's not even a matter of competing head canons. Anyone trying to bar dks from the city is defying a decree from Varian Wrynn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    It's not even a matter of competing head canons. Anyone trying to bar dks from the city is defying a decree from Varian Wrynn
    I am actually tempted now to use this in a set up RP on an alt of mine where I try to bar a DK friend of mine in front of many people and then he owns me with this in front of everyone in Cathedral Square, so that all the terrible role players feel riled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    I am actually tempted now to use this in a set up RP on an alt of mine where I try to bar a DK friend of mine in front of many people and then he owns me with this in front of everyone in Cathedral Square, so that all the terrible role players feel riled up.
    Yes, do it. Death knights cry out for justice! I have a spare DK on AD, I want to at least spectate this event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    Yes, do it. Death knights cry out for justice! I have a spare DK on AD, I want to at least spectate this event.
    Ha! Can arrange something out I suppose!

Will let you know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Can you elaborate on that? Do you think that people who are "confident" should play boring and down-to-earth stuff in order to prove how fine they are with being plain and normal?

It is a matter of preferences and genuinely liking exotic stuff is part of having unique taste.
    I am thinking about people leading boring lives and looking for a cheap escape. I have met plenty of such people. They always need to be special snowflakes, munchkins, whatever.

I want to roleplay for the experience of doing something different. This can be a superhero, but it could be a simple explorer, crafter, priest, whatever. Even if this concept is nothing special in the world, it is special for me, because it is already different from my being and my life.

Im kind of a snowflake myself i guess. My Bloodelf was a half-even-bastard. Half human that is, and therefor was always described as more bulky and rough edged than others. He had... other weird details on him but to be fair i play him since 10 years and RPd through most of those up till it kind of died out during WoD... You are bound to end up a bit... different after a lot of event-heavy roleplay. Which is likely why nobody ever had an issue with my half-elven-bastard with more scars than you can count which is why certain characters icly nicknamed him "patchwork-paladin" in a fond way, despite having a shitload of scars is the ultimate trope to start off with. Oh boy, that brings back memories...

Anyway. Back to Topic. Yea, i don't mind logical mix-races myself. Nor do i mind it when certain players don't RP out the class of their character and explain it with something else. A friend plays their warlock as a Mage that researches demomology for example and is rather sensitive about it for example. Or i recall somebody calling his rogue an illusionist...

What also seems to irritate people more than i can logically understand is that some Death Knights... are not edgelords... Im not sure why its a problem.
    Last edited by SoundOfGuns; 2016-08-30 at 12:50 PM.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfGuns View Post
    Im kind of a snowflake myself i guess. My Bloodelf was a half-even-bastard. Half human that is, and therefor was always described as more bulky and rough edged than others. He had... other weird details on him but to be fair i play him since 10 years and RPd through most of those up till it kind of died out during WoD... You are bound to end up a bit... different after a lot of event-heavy roleplay. Which is likely why nobody ever had an issue with my half-elven-bastard with more scars than you can count which is why certain characters icly nicknamed him "patchwork-paladin" in a fond way, despite having a shitload of scars is the ultimate trope to start off with. Oh boy, that brings back memories...

Anyway. Back to Topic. Yea, i don't mind logical mix-races myself. Nor do i mind it when certain players don't RP out the class of their character and explain it with something else. A friend plays their warlock as a Mage that researches demomology for example and is rather sensitive about it for example. Or i recall somebody calling his rogue an illusionist...

What also seems to irritate people more than i can logically understand is that some Death Knights... are not edgelords... Im not sure why its a problem.
    I roleplay a half-elf too, a mage named Norhaeris Highstrider, a bastard child and a child born out of rape, he was rasied by quel'dorei mother who had largely been shunned by her family for refusing to "get rid" of him.

He grew up in the Ghostlands, seperated from most people save his mother. At around the age of late pre-adolescence/early adolescence, his mother died of a strange illness, leaving him an orphan. Norhaeris wandered around Quel'thalas under harsh prejudice and scrutiny, finding work where he could until the Scourge attacked Quel'thalas.

Escaping he traveled south where he met an old mage, the man took a liking to the boy and trained him in everything he knew; teaching him the arcane arts, Common, Dwarvish and some proper social etiquette.

Even though he spent years with a few people he felt cared for him, Nor was still extremely introverted. He would be until he sort of forced himself to go an adventure in pursuit of a mage he had special feelings for. Traveling Azeroth, he met many people (draenei, tauren, pandaren, etc) who didn't care about his heritage and showed him the kindness that he never received in Silvermoon.

Slowly, Norhaeris became more confident and even proud of his heritage. Although he's still a bit of an introvert, he now has a lot going for him; a girlfriend, friends of all races, some respect, a guild.

Anyway there's nothing wrong with playing a half-elf, it just depends on your character's background. I simply posted my character's story to give an example of a 'decent' half-elf story.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2016-08-30 at 10:55 PM.

Deleted
    One of the things I still don't get is this whole "attempting" thing. Or rather, why everyone chews out the person who gets it wrong.
    I come from the tabletop scene, and in my playgroup, every action you do that requires a die roll, is an attempt by default. It feels a bit like a hassle, when you're used to stating a thing, rolling, and then describing the outcome.

I once 'death gripped' someone to save them from an incoming blow. Said I was doing that, and then /roll. I got chewed out for not "attempting" it, even though I made my statement with a roll right aftwards. But hey, to me, making the roll means it's an attempt. Well, I get that stating it's an attempt gives the other person a window to react, but yeah, it still sucks if it is pretty much the first time I did that. Oh, and they didn't even listen to why I did that, just yelling for me not "playing by the rules".

Our group handles this kind of thing as a contested roll, and the winner gets to decide how it ends. Normally, when you do such a thing, you roll against a set number, but against a player, you both make the roll.

Other than that, I'm the kind of player that goes along with everything, as long as it is fun for all the people involved, or what creates the most rp options

Deleted
    What I'm 'alright' with is old lore in particular I guess, I really don't mind people who use the non-cannon lorebooks, I remember back when Metzen said they were perfectly fine for inspiration and then when he denounced them people seemed to very upset about others using concepts from there.

I personally favour the old setting of Warcraft back before wrath when the game was more akin to WC3 in third person, e.g. The Last Guardian / Lord of the Clans rather than what we have now like Jaina Proumoore: Tides of War.
    Last edited by mmoce9fe1e7ffd; 2016-12-30 at 08:58 PM.

Deleted
    If you must RP a dragon, please avoid the black flight. Wrathion is potentially the only black dragon on Azeroth. And if not, he is the only one (barring Legion spoilers) that is not under the control of the Old Gods.
    How do you feel about this Statement, now that we learned about another black dragon (Spiritwalker Ebonhorn) who is not under the control of an old god? Just curious if that changed your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelagoth View Post
    How do you feel about this Statement, now that we learned about another black dragon (Spiritwalker Ebonhorn) who is not under the control of an old god? Just curious if that changed your mind.
    I've not changed my mind, unfortunately. Originally Baine Bloodhoof was going to be advisor to the Highmountain Chieftess and Wrathion would be with us going into Neltharion's Vault. They later combined these two into a new character. A new pure black dragon. But it took a famous, powerful and blessed lore character with arguably one of the 5 most powerful Titan artifacts in existence, to purify only one small egg in that huge stack. Since those days of old, the Hammer of Khaz'goroth has been guarded as a relic by Huln Highmountain's descendants, it's power unwielded. Which is what frustrated the Underking into taking it in the first place.

So yeah, over the ages there have been many attempts to save the black dragonflight from corruption, but lorewise this has always been unsuccessful. Which was part of the flight's tragedy. And why Wrathion was such an important accomplishment. Now, it's revealed it succeeded once before, wielding the greatest of Titan magic and control over Earth. And even then there was only one success among many. This escaped notice because Ebonhorn remained isolated on the Broken Isles, serving the Highmountain clan in secret.

This still gives us only two redeemed black dragons, under very unique and difficult circumstances. Wrathion in the original questline managed to pull 3 eggs out of a time before Deathwing's corruption. Which would have given us 3 more whelplings in the world, once they hatched. And even that is far from usable in RP. Would it really be reasonable to have played one of these 3 whelps in RP? I don't think so. It would have been way too much of a unique role, may have had your character depicted in future lore, and would have been a desired role for definitely more than 3 people.

All that's changed now is that the amount of pure black dragons, has doubled. From one, to two. I can understand this also doubles people's desires to play a black dragon. But it really doesn't make it any more wise.

Deleted
    I've not changed my mind, unfortunately. Originally Baine Bloodhoof was going to be advisor to the Highmountain Chieftess and Wrathion would be with us going into Neltharion's Vault. They later combined these two into a new character. A new pure black dragon. But it took a famous, powerful and blessed lore character with arguably one of the 5 most powerful Titan artifacts in existence, to purify only one small egg in that huge stack. Since those days of old, the Hammer of Khaz'goroth has been guarded as a relic by Huln Highmountain's descendants, it's power unwielded. Which is what frustrated the Underking into taking it in the first place.

So yeah, over the ages there have been many attempts to save the black dragonflight from corruption, but lorewise this has always been unsuccessful. Which was part of the flight's tragedy. And why Wrathion was such an important accomplishment. Now, it's revealed it succeeded once before, wielding the greatest of Titan magic and control over Earth. And even then there was only one success among many. This escaped notice because Ebonhorn remained isolated on the Broken Isles, serving the Highmountain clan in secret.

This still gives us only two redeemed black dragons, under very unique and difficult circumstances. Wrathion in the original questline managed to pull 3 eggs out of a time before Deathwing's corruption. Which would have given us 3 more whelplings in the world, once they hatched. And even that is far from usable in RP. Would it really be reasonable to have played one of these 3 whelps in RP? I don't think so. It would have been way too much of a unique role, may have had your character depicted in future lore, and would have been a desired role for definitely more than 3 people.

All that's changed now is that the amount of pure black dragons, has doubled. From one, to two. I can understand this also doubles people's desires to play a black dragon. But it really doesn't make it any more wise.
    Fair enough, good reasoning.