Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Champions of the Loa (Which Vol'Jin was) are essentially as immortal as the Loa want them to be. The flexibility Blizzard gave themselves by writing in the Loa make death for Troll characters as meaningless as Blizzard demands. Vol'Jin could be dead for good because "da Loa say so" or he could come back as a powerful spiritual entity to rally the Horde or Zandalari.
    Vol'Jin does have a pact with Bwonsamdi after all, who is as powerful as Blizzard wants him to be. I'm going to guess Vol'jin isn't dead dead, and judging by the tears of Horde players complaining Vol'jin died before he even got interesting Blizzard would probably bring him back soon, if not in a patch in the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Odintdk View Post
    They're trying to shove this new "you're the big badass hero now" thing down our throats right now and having these cool characters of any sort simply stands in the way of that approach. Aside from a select few very key characters like Illidan with his avatar of light thing, and Sylvanus/Anduin as FACTION leaders.

This is why for example Thrall who prior to Legion was known to be the most powerful shaman on Azeroth, now suddenly is inferior to the shaman class player, with the way he steps down and hands you the Doomhammer, he even literally tells you that himself. Not to mention most other classes also being assigned as leaders of their orders all of a sudden, as opposed to having these major lore characters for each class (Malfurion for druids, Tirion for paladins etc) the way it always been before.

Which ofcourse most of the older player fanbase don't agree with this sudden change of role as a player in this universe, while the younger generation enjoys being the "hero" of the story. Personally i think this trend is going to drag the Lore even further down the drain than it already have been.
    I consider it progression. I cut my teeth hammering on boars and returning lost necklaces. Then I'm going up against Kel'Thuzad, a powerful lieutenant of the Lich King. Half a decade in I'm going up against the Lich King himself and half a decade after that and I'm leading the damn Paladin order wielding the Ashbringer while I do it. It's been a long time coming.

In a 12 year old game there is going to be power creep. The players have pretty much killed everything hostile Azeroth. Next logical step is leadership positions, who that powerful wants to just be a pawn forever.

I hope he stays dead, he had his time. New characters please.

If anything i could see Sylvanas trying to bring back Varian. The ship must never sink!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odintdk View Post

Which ofcourse most of the older player fanbase don't agree with this sudden change of role as a player in this universe, while the younger generation enjoys being the "hero" of the story. Personally i think this trend is going to drag the Lore even further down the drain than it already have been.
    I've been playing since Jan 2005 and I always seen myself as the most badass character in the game and I'm finally glad its being cemented as such. We'll probably be granted titan (or unlock the ones within us) powers so we can take down Sargeras like how I've envisioned my character killing him for years.

Its also why I like FFXIV, I'm the main hero, no one else and the story and lore (which is arguably better than Blizzard's but Square has been around the block longer than them in that regard) doesn't suffer from that at all.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think if Vol'jin returns at all (and I wouldn't be surprised if he did) it would be as a spirit or a loa. Bwonsamdi is the Darkspear's chief loa and his power is focused around death.

That being said, I also wouldn't be surprised if he was permanently gone, and while I'm sad if that's the case, I am also not really upset by it either.

7+ Year Old Account
    Based on the fact that he is a powerful shadow hunter, he will essentially be able to guide other shadow hunters. I imagine its kinda like the force ghost thing from Star Wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    I think, that since he was killed with fel magic, his body is pretty broken and therefore not applyable for ressurection. Also, Sylvanases valkyrs can only ress specific races and i think Trolls are not one of these races.
    You may be onto something with the fel magic bit, but i'd wager that Sylvie could rez Voljin, given that she raises elves, and elves evolved from trolls. Personally, I'm still holding out hope that he didn't wish to be rezzed, but instead wanted to commune with the loa for awhile.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saintminya View Post
    You may be onto something with the fel magic bit, but i'd wager that Sylvie could rez Voljin, given that she raises elves, and elves evolved from trolls. Personally, I'm still holding out hope that he didn't wish to be rezzed, but instead wanted to commune with the loa for awhile.
    Proberly that last thing aswell. From what we know, most of the horde factions havent really been too happy about sylvanas ressing people from the dead, so there is maybe a global ban on her ressing horde troops. So far, she has really only ressed humans from the alliance and a couple of elves.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

So Thrall how come you wasn't at your best buddies funeral? You wasn't that injured!

And why did we burn Vol'jin?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanen View Post
    Spoilers if you haven't played the broken shore yet.

Can't Slyvanas just use one of her Valkyr to bring him back? I know he has a pyre but maybe that's fake and hes just waiting for a moment to strike. He's a great character with a lot of story that could be told. I thought his death was to soon.

What do you guys think?
    no.

Blizz is clearly trying to get the point across of " They are DEAD, they will stay DEAD, they are not coming BACK " Without LITERALLY having to say that at the end of the cut scenes. I do NOT understand how people are like "OH VARIANS GONNA BE FEL VARIAN END BOSS, OR VOL'JIN CAN COME BACK STILL"

They are DEAD. Anyone with a brain can literally not only read inbetween the lines, BUT THEY SHOW IT PRETTY EXPLICITLY THAT THEY DIE, DIE DIE DIE DIE DEAD NOT COMING BACK.

They literally, LITERALLY, could not have made it anymore clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroofeelya View Post
    Yes. Yes. Yes. and Yes! I totally agree with you!

I really do not like this whole PC being the new major leader and hero. I just. It feels better just being a good fighter in a faction rather then being THE hero. Class halls should each have had a NPC leader. At the most you could have been the best champion of that class hall. NOT the leader. Having these "artifact" weapons is another issue. As cool as it may be. I do not believe weapons such as doomhammer or ashbringer should be anywhere near the PC's hands. Those are iconic NPC weapons. The direction they have went in for the PC in this expansion is really going to be WoW's downfall unless they do something about it. Power is going to rush to the players head. Whats next? The PC is going to be deemed warchief of the horde or king of the alliance?
    Please god no.
    Like, the NPC leaders and lore is what truly makes this game.
    I have played games that are control by the PC as far as political affairs, war strategy and governing their people. They are fun do not get me wrong.
    WoW is not the game for that option though.
    Having NPC power icons that lead factions, races and classes makes me feel at peace because I feel that my PC character is powerful, but not too powerful.
    I actually totally agree with you right there, I mean back In vanilla when my best friend showed me world of warcraft and we went Into the dwarf king room in ironforge i was totally nerdgasming there, saame goes for seeing Sylvanas Inside the world of warcraft after knowing her lore In WC3, It just gives so much more fantasy to the game...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's Blizzard. Everything can come back.

Deleted
    No, please no. This spineless cockroach should never return. Down with H-help'Jin and his limp wrist parade. If there is someone that needs a return then it is the only tru Warchief: Garrosh Hellscream. It is time to make Horde manly again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I think he'll be coming back, but courtesy Bwonsamdi, not Sylvanas. Since the Cata pre-event, Bwonsamdi has taken a personal interest in Vol'jin, and during 5.1 and the novel set between 5.1 and 5.3, Bwonsamdi helped Vol'jin rediscover what it meant to be a troll first and Horde second (Vol'jin has since done a splendid job of balancing both so neither are lesser than the other in practice). Vol'jin swore to supply Bwonsamdi with a steady stream of fresh souls, and was more or less Bwonsamdi's avatar on Azeroth (in much the same way Varian was Goldrinn's).

So I'm not convinced that Bwonsamdi is willing to let his meal ticket go to waste so soon after finally getting Vol'jin's ass in gear. I think the Helya storyline will tie into this, with Bwonsamdi being our 'in' to get into Helya's realm during patch content to get Vol'jin back ourselves. This could easily tie into either the Legion or the Void storylines by having either a Dreadlord or a void entity holding Vol'jin's soul captive, attempting to break him to obtain information on Azeroth's defenders, and with Bwonsamdi's vested interest in keeping Vol'jin safe, we could see something like what Zul'jin did in Zul'Aman by having Vol'jin directly channel Bwonsamdi in battle going forward.

Or he's dead for good and Blizzard will gamble on Sylvanas's inevitable redemption arc to salvage her enough that they can pull off what they couldn't with Garrosh.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I sure as hell hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    no.

Blizz is clearly trying to get the point across of " They are DEAD, they will stay DEAD, they are not coming BACK " Without LITERALLY having to say that at the end of the cut scenes. I do NOT understand how people are like "OH VARIANS GONNA BE FEL VARIAN END BOSS, OR VOL'JIN CAN COME BACK STILL"

They are DEAD. Anyone with a brain can literally not only read inbetween the lines, BUT THEY SHOW IT PRETTY EXPLICITLY THAT THEY DIE, DIE DIE DIE DIE DEAD NOT COMING BACK.

Until you know, they come back again because Blizzard wants them to.

I mean, in WC2/books, Medivh was decapited. He still came back anyway. Muradin got hit by a fucking huge Ice Shard while being the first victim of "Frostmourne's" inscription. Yet he came back. WC3:TFT literally says that Maiev died alone in Outlands, and we discover that she didn't. Sylvannas jumped of Icecrown Citadel, splattered on the ground, and came back. Xavius, died about 3 times already in the books, and each times it's in some fucked up way, and yet, he's back every single time.

And if you want to go really technical, every single Warlord was dead-dead-dead, and we had literally a dedicated expansion for them. Same thing for Gul'dan, torn apart by demons, now he's back.

As Deadpool once said to Wolverine "Your power isn't your healing factor, but your popularity. As long as you're popular, you'll never die"
    Suddenly, one day, 99.7% of the Lich King's death knights broke free.
    Clearly, the lich king was keylogged

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    no.

Sorry to break it, but "inbetween the lines" there's nothing more but your own narrative.

You can reason why a certain character should be better left for dead or why would be better bring him back, but saying "hurr dur Blizzard is telling you this or that" is just you projecting thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.