Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question If I'm in EU can I play with someone on US?

Hello, as the title says, I have a level 100 character on EU Argent Dawn and I have a friend that has a level 100 character on US Sargeras, we both have each other's battle tags on both battle.net app servers EU and US, does it work? Is it even possible?

Deleted
    I don't think so but I believe just trying it would have been way faster than asking about it.

Apply common sense.

Eu - realms = for eu only
    US - realms = for us only

No you cannot.
    One would have to start a second account and choose to be on eu or us realms and suffer thru horrible ping issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    No you cannot.
    One would have to start a second account and choose to be on eu or us realms and suffer thru horrible ping issues.
    This. This includes having to pay for the client (I think) and gametime, too.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yousef View Post
    Hello, as the title says, I have a level 100 character on EU Argent Dawn and I have a friend that has a level 100 character on US Sargeras, we both have each other's battle tags on both battle.net app servers EU and US, does it work? Is it even possible?
    Sadly, you cannot. You need to have an account of the same region.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    This. This includes having to pay for the client (I think) and gametime, too.
    Which in my opinion why this sucks, I have to pay for something that I already have if I want to play elsewhere.

What's with the region lock on WoW? Is it to do with billing?
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

it'd be nice if they could one day connect regions. but right now you can't even add US battletags to your friends list in EU. which strikes me as super weird but *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Yousef View Post
    Which in my opinion why this sucks, I have to pay for something that I already have if I want to play elsewhere.
    Even worse those accounts can't be bnet linked. Meaning you can't share achievements, mounts, pets etc... You are literally starting all over. Also don't forget the time zone difference it will be drastic. So one of the players will be playing overnight while the other during the day.

You can, you need to get ahold of a US version of the game. I assume you can order one online. I played with a guy who lived in the UKmfor years. That's how he did it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Mostly because the architecture is 15 years old and changing it on that fundamental level is just not worth the investment.
    IT world didn't really look like it does now when the WoW architecture was designed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    it'd be nice if they could one day connect regions. but right now you can't even add US battletags to your friends list in EU. which strikes me as super weird but *shrug*
    Bnet has lots of functionality, like inviting your friends to a game - which would fail .. connecting it globally would be confusing UX.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    2 reasons:

1) The versions of the game are different and therefore incompatible due to EU/NA laws being different. Laws regarding violence towards animals for example dictate a ban or change on certain quests in EU.
    2) The servers are not connected in any way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    Bnet has lots of functionality, like inviting your friends to a game - which would fail .. connecting it globally would be confusing UX.
    There is no reason to not allow Btag cross-region. You can already play OW cross-region and get a pretty decent experience doing so (I've played with people from NA on EU servers quite a bit and they didn't experience much lag). Sadly, this seems to be the only game on the launcher that doesn't have any restrictions regarding regions.

It's pretty silly HS and HotS don't get the same treatment OW does as they're both ftp games and you can play in other regions without a problem by just selecting a different region on the launcher.

I don't play Diablo or SC so I'm not familiar with their cross-region restrictions.
    Last edited by Mystrome; 2016-08-13 at 12:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystrome View Post
    There is no reason to not allow Btag cross-region.
    It's bad UX to allow it globally when your games don't support the features. It's just going to lead to a bunch of support tickets asking why inviting someone doesn't work. It's a very good reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's bad UX to allow it globally when your games don't support the features. It's just going to lead to a bunch of support tickets asking why inviting someone doesn't work. It's a very good reason.
    Except for the fact several of their games already do. Besides, a simple reminder on the launcher for the game(s) that don't and of course a mention in the FAQ would solve those issues.

Deleted
    Except for the fact several of their games already do. Besides, a simple reminder on the launcher for the game(s) that don't and of course a mention in the FAQ would solve those issues.
    I guess the lack of the feature tells us Blizzard doesn't agree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sure they're going to implement something like that eventually. But I suspect we'll have to wait for WoW to decline to a point where it makes sense to "sunset" it.
    I'm also pretty confident that their more recent architectures will support global bnet play at some point - it's probably just too costly to implement in 15 year old legacy architecture.

2 reasons:

1) The versions of the game are different and therefore incompatible due to EU/NA laws being different. Laws regarding violence towards animals for example dictate a ban or change on certain quests in EU.
    2) The servers are not connected in any way.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no reason to not allow Btag cross-region. You can already play OW cross-region and get a pretty decent experience doing so (I've played with people from NA on EU servers quite a bit and they didn't experience much lag). Sadly, this seems to be the only game on the launcher that doesn't have any restrictions regarding regions.

It's pretty silly HS and HotS don't get the same treatment OW does as they're both ftp games and you can play in other regions without a problem by just selecting a different region on the launcher.

I don't play Diablo or SC so I'm not familiar with their cross-region restrictions.
    Mostly because the architecture is 15 years old and changing it on that fundamental level is just not worth the investment.
    IT world didn't really look like it does now when the WoW architecture was designed

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys, really had no idea. Wasn't a problem on Diablo 1, but I guess there was only 1 version of the game then.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Deleted
    I don't know about world of warcraft, but in Dota I have seen a few russians on european servers when I play.

They are very helpful and nice people.

It seems the world is getting closer together

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Apply common sense.

Eu - realms = for eu only
    US - realms = for us only
    Not true. US realms also work cross realm with aussie servers. So it is possible.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Not true. US realms also work cross realm with aussie servers. So it is possible.
    Kinda, you can invite people from the Oceanic realms but phasing never properly worked unless that's been fixed with Legion.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134