Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Gul'dan is now officially one of the greatest WoW villains

No other villain since Arthas Menethil (The Lich King) has had nearly as much development in the WoW lore.

Blizzard reduced Illidan into a generic bad guy in BC (Hopefully to be addressed in Legion). Deathwing was just "RAAARRAARRR, I'M A BIG EVIL DRAGON" and Garrosh was just a warmongering c***.

Gul'dan has been shown to be diabolical, manipulative and ruthless in his appearances. He takes delight in being evil and trying to bring his demon lords plans to fruition. Plus, what happens during the Broken Shore actually gives the players a true motive to want to kill him at the end of the Nighthold raid. All the aspects of a great villain.

Despite Warlords of Draenor being the worst WoW expansion, bar none. We can at least praise Blizzard for bringing this version of Gul'dan into the spotlight.

Who else agrees with me on this? Discuss.

Illidan: I don't think you quested in TBC... or you didn't read the quest text if you did if you think Illidan was a "generic bad guy"
    Arthas: Natural ultra bad guy... major lore character (2 actually), Blizz used this expansion waaaaaaay too early in WoW life cycle
    Deathwing: SO much potential for an awesome and record/bar setting slugfest between the THE Dragon of Azeroth and Outlands and the heroes...and then we got to trim his toenails......sigh.....
    Garrosh: Brown Hitler... nuff said
    Gul'dan/Archi: Decent fight to end a disappointing expansion, used more to set-up a (hopefully) better expansion then to culminate a story arc.

This is how Gul'dan has ALWAYS been though, I am going to assume you have not played WC1 and WC2 since this is a basic copy/paste of the character into a different storyline.

I'm still waiting for him to declare himself "Darkness Incarnate", as the original did.

But yeah, Gul'dan has been an awesome villain. Unfortunately, I'm afraid he will be dead by the end of this patch (he's the final boss in Nighthold raid). I think they should make him survive, disappear for a time then return as the big bad of a future expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Illidan: I don't think you quested in TBC... or you didn't read the quest text if you did if you think Illidan was a "generic bad guy"
    Arthas: Natural ultra bad guy... major lore character (2 actually), Blizz used this expansion waaaaaaay too early in WoW life cycle
    Deathwing: SO much potential for an awesome and record/bar setting slugfest between the THE Dragon of Azeroth and Outlands and the heroes...and then we got to trim his toenails......sigh.....
    Gul'dan/Archi: Decent fight to end a disappointing expansion, used more to set-up a (hopefully) better expansion then to culminate a story arc.

This is how Gul'dan has ALWAYS been though, I am going to assume you have not played WC1 and WC2 since this is a basic copy/paste of the character into a different storyline.
    I've only ever quested in Outland once and that was over 8 years ago when I was levelling up my brand new Death Knight at the start of Wrath. So I can be forgiven for not remembering. I would quest through it again as a refresher, but the Outland content is outdated and so horribly dull compared to more recent questing content that I just don't have the will to do it again.

And please note. I said that Gul'dan is the greatest "WoW" villain. I haven't played the original Warcraft games. I've never enjoyed playing Strategy games like Starcraft.
    Even if he is a copypasta of his earlier portrayals, he is certainly a step up from a lot of the previous big bads that we have thwarted throughout the MMO's lifespan.

What? Arthas' character development has dominated the whole Warcraft 3. Even after I beat Archimonde, I said that the best thing in the game was Arthas' character arc. That shit was too good. He is the best villain in Warcraft.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpacino View Post
    What? Arthas' character development has dominated the whole Warcraft 3. Even after I beat Archimonde, I said that the best thing in the game was Arthas' character arc. That shit was too good. He is the best villain in Warcraft.
    No other villain since Arthas Menethil (The Lich King)
    Gul'dan is now officially one of the greatest WoW villains
    learn to read next time?

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    learn to read next time?
    I just read the titles and I reply to them, regardless what they write below. Yes yes, I'm an average forum poster

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Gul'dan is well done.

Chances are he won't be permanently dead, as he is more demon than orc now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpacino View Post
    I just read the titles and I reply to them
    More often than not the title of a post is more interesting than the 'body'.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

Deleted
    If you read: The Tomb of Sargeras short book, you actually learn that he and Kil'jaeden are now almost on equal grounds. He has proven himself to be much more then the other Gul'dan from the other time line which was killed by the demons in the Tomb.

As it is written in the book, he now feels a trust between him and the Burning Legion what he never has felt before and thus he is being granted the position of a leader. I doubt we will kill him off.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post

Illidan was a complete waste in TBC. Next to no quest even mentioned him, nor was he even present aside from BT and 2 quests in Shadowmoon Valley.

Oh and Gul'dan wasn't even in Warcraft 1.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evassac View Post
    If you read: The Tomb of Sargeras short book, you actually learn that he and Kil'jaeden are now almost on equal grounds. He has proven himself to be much more then the other Gul'dan from the other time line which was killed by the demons in the Tomb.

As it is written in the book, he now feels a trust between him and the Burning Legion what he never has felt before and thus he is being granted the position of a leader. I doubt we will kill him off.
    oO where did he steal that kind of power from?

or is it just a game by kiljaeden to make him feel that way? he is the deceiver after all.

I'm looking forward to facing Gul'dan in the Nighthold but I do want him to live until the final tier of the expansion, I feel like if we kill Gul'dan without either Archimonde, Kil'Jaedan or some other named baddie to take his place in the story that Legion won't feel as serious as it really is for Azeroth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post
    No other villain since Arthas Menethil (The Lich King) has had nearly as much development in the WoW lore.

Blizzard reduced Illidan into a generic bad guy in BC (Hopefully to be addressed in Legion). Deathwing was just "RAAARRAARRR, I'M A BIG EVIL DRAGON" and Garrosh was just a warmongering c***.

Gul'dan has been shown to be diabolical, manipulative and ruthless in his appearances. He takes delight in being evil and trying to bring his demon lords plans to fruition. Plus, what happens during the Broken Shore actually gives the players a true motive to want to kill him at the end of the Nighthold raid. All the aspects of a great villain.

Despite Warlords of Draenor being the worst WoW expansion, bar none. We can at least praise Blizzard for bringing this version of Gul'dan into the spotlight.

Who else agrees with me on this? Discuss.
    You might say many things, which are pro-guldan, but i would still say, that he has some of the most boring and dumb lines in the entire game. He has no character progress, he does not really do much, since he just cast fel prison on everyone and i would not really say that WoD did him any good.

Despite that, Blizzard has not been very good at making villians in WoW, so he might be up in a top 3, but that does not say much since he is still very lackluster.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Gul'dan exists in many more realities... sooo....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    oO where did he steal that kind of power from?

or is it just a game by kiljaeden to make him feel that way? he is the deceiver after all.
    When he enters the tomb and Khadgar is fighting him (that is why he is not there at the other side of the broken shore same as with the wardens) he needs to destroy crystals that the burning legion in the past had placed there for a inmense portal to open to Azeroth. He destroy's the seals and the power that was slumbering here to open up the way gets flown in to Gul'dan. He becomes insanely powerful, able to (no bs) one finger flick Khadgar and Maiev away and keep them at bay.

But he starts to question his own believes in order to keep that power and eventually turns it back to Kil'jaeden who then opens the portal. In doing so Gul'dan gets a glimpse of the Legion's homeworld and sees Kil'jaeden sitting on a throne. He then feels the trust Kil'jaeden now has placed in him and grants him even more power.

Kinda wanna know what happens after he's dead

id like to see gul'dan raise to be a lieutenant of Sargeras like archimonde and kil'jaeden kinda style, since he proved loyalty in the 4 part story blizzard did. So transform him into demon like orc version of eredar that way he is immortal like archimonde and such and can be used later even if we kill him in nighthold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    I'm looking forward to facing Gul'dan in the Nighthold but I do want him to live until the final tier of the expansion, I feel like if we kill Gul'dan without either Archimonde, Kil'Jaedan or some other named baddie to take his place in the story that Legion won't feel as serious as it really is for Azeroth.
    Maybe one of those will take his place once we bump off Gul'Dan, Blizz can't have him getting away from us too often (As he has done about a dozen times in WoD levelling), if he does many more of those "Summon something big and mean to distract us and then limp away"-things he's going to be more of a saturday-morning cartoon villain than Arthas...

Edit: What i would like is for the legion to turn on him once his work is done (At the end of Nighthold), do a bit of "Do you remember when i said i would make you powerful? I lied." on him, and then burn him to a charred husk, we have seen "Strong" and "Lots of them" of the legion, show us some cunning and duplicity too.
    Last edited by mysticx; 2016-08-13 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    I get the feeling that while we as the players will "kill" Gul'dan, his true demise will be at the hands of Kil'jaeden, who will permanently vaporize him for both "failing" yet again, and, much like was foreshadowed in the audio drama, because Gul'dan is no longer needed. Illidan's body will probably be ready by the time we fight Gul'dan.