Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Apparently you do not realize that the Earth's axis is not constant. It wobbles. So much for that "alignment".
    Nor is the earth (or our galaxy for that matter) fixed in space, stationary.

Sweet. How long before we get a picture?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Cosmologists can’t pack up and go home just yet though, as Planck’s map has also confirmed the presence of a mysterious alignment of the universe. The “axis of evil” was identified by Planck’s predecessor, NASA’s Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP).
    Also:
    The pattern of hot and cold variations in the CMB should be randomly distributed – and they are when comparing small patches of the universe
    Fixed it for you.

Did you read my question? Provide a source that the irregularities lines up with our equator. Preferable a source from the same magazine, not some creationist indoctrination site.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Sweet. How long before we get a picture?
    Are you talking to me? Just google cosmic microwave background, many of the images are already filtered down to show the non uniformity. If that fails just google axis of evil cosmology. I am not making this stuff up guys, and this is just ONE thing that leads me to believe a creator is not so far fetched.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Longhaired Lowlife View Post
    Fixed it for you.

Did you read my question? Provide a source that the irregularities lines up with our equator. Preferable a source from the same magazine, not some creationist indoctrination site.
    What? I dont even know who new scientist is, its literally the first site i found with a google search. As for the alignment, it was in the article....
    as Planck’s map has also confirmed the presence of a mysterious alignment of the universe. The “axis of evil”
    Which has a link:
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...osmic-concern/

I am not making this stuff up guys
    Ok so it's someone else and you're just regurgitating their ideas.

Deleted
    Are you talking to me? Just google cosmic microwave background, many of the images are already filtered down to show the non uniformity. If that fails just google axis of evil cosmology. I am not making this stuff up guys, and this is just ONE thing that leads me to believe a creator is not so far fetched.
    There are things science still don't understand. That means god did it.
    Thats what you sound like. Stop trying to chase evidence to support your conclusion. That's just something that makes people stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Ok so it's someone else and you're just regurgitating their ideas.
    I am actually astounded you people have never heard about this. Most of this research was headed by max tegmark of MIT, who still teaches there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Tegmark

With Angelica de Oliveira-Costa and Andrew Hamilton, he discovered the anomalous multipole alignment in the WMAP data sometimes referred to as the "axis of evil
    http://philosophy-of-cosmology.ox.ac.uk/tegmark.html

Deleted
    I am actually astounded you people have never heard about this. Most of this research was headed by max tegmark of MIT, who still teaches there:

"Someone you should think is important, saw a pattern and called it something"

Okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Longhaired Lowlife View Post
    There are things science still don't understand. That means god did it.
    Thats what you sound like. Stop trying to chase evidence to support your conclusion. That's just something that makes people stupid.
    Another person who automatically conjures up god when a creator is mentioned.....why is it so hard for people to understand the two aren't mutually related? I am not peddling religion here guys, why is this so hard to understand?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    "Someone you should think is important, saw a pattern and called it something"

Okay?
    Its not important because i said the guy is important....its important because it shows the copernican principle is in real jeopardy. It only helps that the guy isnt an idiot, and is a practicing cosmologist at MIT...

When it comes to the "Earth-Like" description it's pretty inclusive. Mars and I believe even Venus would fit the description.
    Signature not found

Still no sign of this pointing to god. And do tell me... does this alignment hold true a billion years from now aswell since galaxies are not fixed in space?

I'll answer that for you: it does not and therefore this whole idea of it having some grand meaning can be thrown to the bin.

Still no sign of this pointing to god. And do tell me... does this alignment hold true a billion years from now aswell since galaxies are not fixed in space?
    Last person i am going to reply to that mentions the word god. Religion is not my basis here, i am ONLY looking at the actual cosmological evidence around us. I have no agenda here, i only seek the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Note that for exoplanets "Earth-like" usually means having mass near Earth's and comparable size. We don't know much about their chemical composition (for the most part), we don't know what they look like, etc. Suffice to say, it almost certainly isn't suitable for us to walk on.
    Theoretically, because of adaptation, there still could be life on any planet. While it may not be suitable for us, there still could be inhabitants and I think Astronomers just mainly search for planets like ours to find something or someone like ourselves. Could you imagine the racism if we found fish people?

Last person i am going to reply to that mentions the word god. Religion is not my basis here, i am ONLY looking at the actual cosmological evidence around us. I have no agenda here, i only seek the truth.
    You avoided the question.

Deleted
    Its not important because i said the guy is important.... It only helps that the guy isnt an idiot, and is a practicing cosmologist at MIT...
    You contradict yourself.

Bravo.

Appeal to authority is still not a valid logical argument.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    When it comes to the "Earth-Like" description it's pretty inclusive. Mars and I believe even Venus would fit the description.
    AFAIK both planets are of the right size and within habitable zone; which is more in common with earth as other extrasolar planets. "earth-like" doesnt mean much otherwise.

You avoided the question.
    http://backreaction.blogspot.com/200...in-cosmic.html

As you can see in the figure, the normals of the quadrupole and the octopole are quite close together and clump in the South-South-West. This anomalous alignment is unlikely at the 99.9% CL [3]. But even more puzzling is that they are aligned with the direction of the cosmological dipole and the the equinoxes at a level inconsistent with Gaussian random, statistically isotropic skies at 99.95%CL [3]. To put it it less technical, this means the probability that this happens just by coincidence is very small.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another person who automatically conjures up god when a creator is mentioned.....why is it so hard for people to understand the two aren't mutually related? I am not peddling religion here guys, why is this so hard to understand?

- - - Updated - - -

Its not important because i said the guy is important....its important because it shows the copernican principle is in real jeopardy. It only helps that the guy isnt an idiot, and is a practicing cosmologist at MIT...
    You said it aligns with the Earth's equator and ecliptic, which means Earth is special, but that is not actually entirely honest is it?

Huge chunks of the universe are in the exact same position as the Earth in this regard, so we are no more special than any other planet in our solar system, nor any of the other solar systems that exhibit the same phenomena.

It is like standing in the middle of a queue and claiming the rest of the queue lines up with you, without acknowledging that is also true of every other person in the queue.

http://backreaction.blogspot.com/200...in-cosmic.html

As you can see in the figure, the normals of the quadrupole and the octopole are quite close together and clump in the South-South-West. This anomalous alignment is unlikely at the 99.9% CL [3]. But even more puzzling is that they are aligned with the direction of the cosmological dipole and the the equinoxes at a level inconsistent with Gaussian random, statistically isotropic skies at 99.95%CL [3]. To put it it less technical, this means the probability that this happens just by coincidence is very small.
    That does not answer the question. What happens a billion years from now when the alignment isn't there anymore and your "theory of special earth" falls flat on its face? You do understand the universe isn't stagnant?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You said it aligns with the Earth's equator and ecliptic, which means Earth is special, but that is not actually entirely honest is it?

Huge chunks of the universe are in the exact same position as the Earth in this regard, so we are no more special than any other planet in our solar system, nor any of the other solar systems that exhibit the same phenomena.

It is like standing in the middle of a queue and claiming the rest of the queue lines up with you, without acknowledging that is also true of every other person in the queue.

You need to read up on the copernican principle.

Also please read the article and quote linked above. This is a massive problem in science, but one you likely wouldnt hear about if not for guys like me who did the leg work.

- - - Updated - - -

That does not answer the question. What happens a billion years from now when the alignment isn't there anymore and your "theory of special earth" falls flat on its face?
    What are you talking about?