Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    All I'm reading is rockets/lazers
    You're reading wrong, or only reading what you want to read.

See this is what you aren't getting. You can't use plate armor and elemental spells as every single class. You can't do either at the same time on any class. You can use rockets, lazers, and zone mechs as every single class. That's quite a huge difference. Your 1 example of a hots character wasn't even good. It's just a guy that uses rockets and lazers. That's literally what engineers do.

All I'm reading is rockets/lazers and yet you complain about plate wearing elementalists, even though there isn't a class combo in the game that can do that? But rockets/lazers are very unique and original?

I don't get how something everyone can do is more unique then something no playable classes can do.
    Again: If you can find an Egineering profession item that allows me to battle enemies like this any tiem I want it, feel free to link it:

Simply mixing 2 unoriginal elements in one class doesn't make it an interesting class. A shaman that happens to be able to wear plate armor might be exclusive in the way that it's the only class that happens to be able to meet that very specific requirement of "having elemental spells" + "wearing plate armor". It's still just a shaman, it's "thing" is still using elemental spells to empower his weapons or to deal damage and what not. Other than that, what's the difference to the player? How will playing enhancement or elemental be any different to play just because you happen to be wearing plate armor?

A plate wearing elemental caster wouldn't be original, unique or interesting, just like a Fury Warrior wouldn't stop being or feeling like a Fury Warrior if suddenly they could only use leather armor and not plate.

What you aren't getting is that a profession isn't a class.

There is no class or profession combination that allows you to use rockets, lasers, mechs/exo-skeletons, explosives and other mechanical gadgets to continuously engage in battle.

I'm not claiming the idea of a tinker, or of a rocket, or of lasers, or of mechs are original and new to the game. I'm claiming a Tinker as a playable class, whose mechanics revolve around a combination of those things, is a class that plays unlike any other current class, offering fresh and new combat gameplay that you can't reproduce even with engineering.

Sorry if you can't see that, but if you can't or are not willing to, I suppose there's no point in insisting.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-08-12 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    You're reading wrong, or only reading what you want to read.

Again: If you can find an Egineering profession item that allows me to battle enemies like this any tiem I want it, feel free to link it:

What you aren't getting is that a profession isn't a class.

Simply mixing 2 unoriginal elements in one class doesn't make it an interesting class. A shaman that happens to be able to wear plate armor might be exclusive in the way that it's the only class that happens to be able to meet that very specific requirement of "having elemental spells" + "wearing plate armor". It's still just a shaman, it's "thing" is still using elemental spells to empower his weapons or to deal damage and what not. Other than that, what's the difference to the player? How will playing enhancement or elemental be any different to play just because you happen to be wearing plate armor?

A plate wearing elemental caster wouldn't be original, unique or interesting, just like a Fury Warrior wouldn't stop being or feeling like a Fury Warrior if suddenly they could only use leather armor and not plate.

There is no class or profession combination that allows you to use rockets, lasers, mechs/exo-skeletons, explosives and other mechanical gadgets to continuously engage in battle.

I'm not claiming the idea of a tinker, or of a rocket, or of lasers, or of mechs are original and new to the game. I'm claiming a Tinker as a playable class, whose mechanics revolve around a combination of those things, is a class that plays unlike any other current class, offering fresh and new combat gameplay that you can't reproduce even with engineering.

Sorry if you can't see that, but if you can't or are not willing to, I suppose there's no point in insisting.
    Agree to disagree. If they ever for some reason make a tinker class, I'll make one to shoot rockets and lazers.

I don't think I'd enjoy it for more than a few seconds.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Awesome ideas and points! I especially like the idea of a Juggernaut tank.

On another note though...

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Tinker

What is that thing supposed to be that the art is showing...?
    A goblin warrior that uses mechanical arms to hold his weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Not at all. Tinker will never happen -- yes you can quote me on it. Engineering has already taken up all the design space, and they're not going to remove a profession just to make a class.
    They removed a spec to make a class.

Also you don't need to remove Engineering to implement a tech class. Building and selling a mechanical mount doesn't occupy the same design space as an ability that allows you to summon a mechanical mount to fight in.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Well, here's also https://mobile.twitter.com/OccupyGSt...09768888401920

And this was a very nice way of saying "no, your idea is fucking stupid"

Also playing in a mech and making a class around one is insanely different.
    A tweet from three years ago, written by someone who hasn't worked at Blizzard for two, that you have to twist into a pretzel to get that meaning out of. Super solid. Gelbin's mere presence in a very serious cinematic, in a serious role, gives the lie to the idea that they spent none of those three years thinking of non-whimsical ways to depict gnomes and tinkers.

In any case, the recent tweet written by a current employee says it looks sweet. That's a very nice way of saying exactly what he said.

If they ever add a tech based class I hope it's not strictly gnome/goblin. They are not the only races that create technology and they are certainly not the only races that use it. I would hope one of the key features of such a class would be being able to choose which kind of technology you want to use.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so. They needed something to make Mekkatorque stand out. Before he had very little presence on the battlefield, with his shiny new battle suit however it easy to pick him find him during a fight. It also is just pretty bad ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk why the profession argument is still used. Cataclysm practically had gnomes with arcane-based guns and suits that countered radiation in their starting zone.

Tinkers are essentially steampunk engineers, which fit right in World of Warcraft's fantasy.

Profession Engineers are limited by mats and cooldowns. With many toys locked to NPCs. Tinkers exceed that, with suits, copters, medic guns, mole machines, more guns, the list goes beyond that of Engineering's recipes.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2016-08-13 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I don't think so. They needed something to make Mekkatorque stand out. Before he had very little presence on the battlefield, with his shiny new battle suit however it easy to pick him find him during a fight. It also is just pretty bad ass.
    I think so. Goblins and Gnomes still stick out like sore thumbs in the game. They definitely need something to help them fit better. A tech class would help with that.

Also, you could easily construct 3-4 specs from the class, unlike DHs where they could barely scrape together 2.

Remember when we were supposedly having the "timewalker" class being hinted at us? The weavers, watchers, and wardens?

That was at the end of an expansion, when teasing a new class might be worthwhile. (Note that we're not really at the "end" of WoD; we're starting into Legion)

What makes anyone think this is hinting at playable tinkers?

Hinting? No. Playable Class? Possible.

Off topic: I'd rather have Gelbin in his mecha-bot in HotS than a Tinker class in WoW.

If they implement Tinkers they could set them apart from the engineering profession by being masters of Titan technology (in addition to all tech).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Not at all. Tinker will never happen -- yes you can quote me on it. Engineering has already taken up all the design space, and they're not going to remove a profession just to make a class.
    All of it eh?

Funny, my main's an engineer and I don't remember riding a mech into battle, nor do I remember laying down turrets or hacking Mechanicals to build a robot army.

Edit; I don't particularly care about Tinkers either way, but to claim there's no room or design space for them is just a distinct lack of imagination.

What I would rather is that we get a ranged class or two next, since Melee is heavily saturated.
    Last edited by mmocd88858e1a5; 2016-08-13 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    All of it eh?

Funny, my main's an engineer and I don't remember riding a mech into battle, nor do I remember laying down turrets or hacking Mechanicals to build a robot army.

Edit; I don't particularly care about Tinkers either way, but to claim there's no room or design space for them is just a distinct lack of imagination.

What I would rather is that we get a ranged class or two next, since Melee is heavily saturated.
    Not only is melee heavily saturated, but the Havoc DH plays markedly similar to Enhancement Shaman AND Blizzard couldn't even come up with three specs for the class.

We definitely need a ranged class. Bards, Artificers, or Tinkers could fit the bill. I think the Tinker has the best shot, since it makes Goblins and Gnomes fit better in the game.

Not to mention that its pretty easy to come up with 3-4 DPS, healing, and tanking specs that use technology.

I don't get how something everyone can do is more unique then something no playable classes can do.
    Getting inside a machine and having one or two basic abilities for a quest isn't really the same as having a fully fleshed out class that would be centered around the machine. You can drive a Honda Civic, but that doesn't mean you could handle a Formula 1 racecar. They're both cars, but one is much more advanced than the other.

Currently the engineering profession is more about making toys, pets, goggles and a few guns. It's more about crafting technology than actually using it to gain an advantage in combat. It has to be balanced with other professions, so there's not a whole lot to actually gain from it in terms of firepower. Not unless they go back to every profession have perks like they used to. Blizzard would have a lot more freedom to push the steampunk fantasy with an entire class dedicated to it, without any limitations.

You can't look at quest content and use it as an excuse to say "I can already do that". My Warlock used the Light to redeem lost souls daily in Icecrown, but he never became an honorary Priest. My Paladin has used voodoo magic on many occasions during his adventures but he's still not able to Hex or possess anyone outside of specific quests. Blizzard have always tried to make questing more interesting and varied. That doesn't really mean they can't push that gameplay further and turn it into something else entirely, if they desire.

How does the existence of a profession prevent the addition of a class? Just... how? It "occupies design space"? Such bull.

Creativity, it exists. Try it.

One thing I've been noticing doing all these invasions is that Mekkatorque isn't alone. Marin Noggenfogger and Gazlowe are spending 100% of their battles in the cockpit of a shredder, and Gallywix has finally busted his spider tank out again. Players have access to these machines as well, but with a short time limit and restricted abilities. The goblin npcs' machines are personalized and don't have limitations.

It doesn't really indicate anything regarding a class, but it does appear that they've settled on the idea that siege robots are the preferred fighting style of major goblin and gnome lore figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhiosis View Post
    Just watched the alliance version of the broken shore cinematic and I feel like mekkatorque's quick display of sitting in his mech warrior and shooting guns could be indicative of how a tinker might play? I'm sure this has been talked about before but a class based on turrets and all sorts of mechanical means of doing damage might be fun... Especially if you were able to interact with vehicles as part of the class rotation. It would truly have unlimited implications I feel, but maybe I'm just letting my imagination run a bit too wild this morning
    Honestly, OP. I'm glad you said something. I said the same thing to my friend about 2 days ago! I hope so, but yea, we don't need classes for a while.

BUT INDEED. With the addition of now race specific classes shared across the faction,

I could easily see a three spec Tinker with Mounted Combat as a Mech/Shredder(and one not) helmed by none other than... Goblins and Gnomes!

... Perhaps I'll just keep my ideas bottled for now though.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    why not. Tinker class for Gnomes and goblins only, could work as meele/range dps and tank probably.
    I was thinking along the same lines the other day. The introduction of the Demon Hunter has shown that Blizzard are not concerned about not every race playing every class. A Tinker class would be a golden ticket for Blizzard to pursue a larger focus on Goblins and Gnomes.

Perhaps they could reintroduce Kezan as part of it?

IF there's ever another class, please make it Bard.

That said, weird timing on this thread.