Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    There's a bunch of things a disabled person wouldn't "get a human attendant" for.
    Such as? And again, then store staff will assist, should you go to store without attendant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    issues is solved if the person has to have a card verifying that his/her animal is indeed a service dog which they can then show to the person in charge at the place they are going to. You need that blue sticker to park in a disabled parking spot why not have something similar for a service animal
    The problem is many states do not permit for the store to ask for verification if something is a service animal. That and every wannabe will cry to social media when they get called on it.

And we all know people who read social media will consider if the person posting it is full of shit. Amiright?

Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    Good. Fuck people who bring their pet into the grocery store/convenience store/restaurant/anywhere that serves food. I don't want fucking pet dander and fur on my food. It's against health code in my state anyway.
    People that bring animals into grocery stores truly annoy me with their selfishness and lack of care for other people. While some are aid animals and required bringing a dirty animal into a place with food or where a person with dog allergies shops is a dick move. Animals in places that serve food is against almost every health code, but service animals are exempt due to disability acts/rights. A bigger issue is how easy it is to get your dog registered as that. I have a friend that has all of his dogs trained as service animals so they can go anywhere he goes, just so he can take his dog everywhere.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought, for a service animal, they need their orange vest. If they have that, they can be wherever, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    My hats off to whatever store posted this. As usual, the truth is probably going to rile a lot of people up.

Phoenix seems to have a surplus of idiots trying to bring their pets everywhere they go.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Phoenix seems to have a surplus of idiots trying to bring their pets everywhere they go.
    Its getting fairly common place here, at least in my portion of Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yeah. Seizure alert animals seem to becoming popular. A guy at my college had a little toy breed that was trained to alert him if he was about to have a seizure so he could get somewhere safe.
    One of my friends has a Collie for this reason actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    What, are dogs allowed in stores over there?

Someone with a dog would get tossed out immediately here.
    Eh, usually the rule of thumb is no at least in NY, but there are some places that don't mind. Pets stores tend to be okay with it, while the store I work at has a sign that says no dogs, but they don't really care as long as the dog is friendly. We've had people come in with German Shepards and other larger breeds even.

That being said, I don't see why this sign will "rustle some jimmies"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    I thought, for a service animal, they need their orange vest. If they have that, they can be wherever, imo.
    You can buy those on ebay.

No, there is no requirement for a vest.

However a good bit of REAL service dogs, the owners put a vest on them with writing that says "please do not pet, I am a service animal". This is usually a good starting point to identify a real service animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Such as? And again, then store staff will assist, should you go to store without attendant.
    Diabetes Assist Dogs are trained to monitor smells in the air for a specific scent on the human breath that is related to rapidly dropping or low blood sugar levels. They are then trained to “alert” the person with diabetes, usually by touching them in a significant way such as pawing or nudging them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    No, there is no requirement for a vest.

However a good bit of REAL service dogs, the owners put a vest on them with writing that says "please do not pet, I am a service animal". This is usually a good starting point to identify a real service animal.
    Interesting. My sister-in-law has one for her dog as she requires it, and I had thought it was required by WA law. That really puts you in a hard spot. There are real service dogs for all kinds of special needs, so unless you are able to ask for paperwork, there is nothing you can do. You can't legally ask for ones' disability which I'm fine with, but you are legally allowed to ask for their 'individual with disabilities parking privilege card' (that's the name of it on my card here in WA) when it comes to parking, on top of their placard.

Interesting. My sister-in-law has one for her dog as she requires it, and I had thought it was required by WA law. That really puts you in a hard spot. There are real service dogs for all kinds of special needs, so unless you are able to ask for paperwork, there is nothing you can do. You can't legally ask for ones' disability which I'm fine with, but you are legally allowed to ask for their 'individual with disabilities parking privilege card' (that's the name of it on my card here in WA) when it comes to parking, on top of their placard.
    Well that is another problem, the ease of which to get a service animal registered is pretty much anyone can do it.

It kind of falls into those people who get paid government disability because they ate to much and got fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I'm not sure why this would upset people. The sign has a legitimate message and point.
    Really? In this day and age? You are being quite generous. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    If your animal is a service animal, then you should have documentation on you that can prove that.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

issues is solved if the person has to have a card verifying that his/her animal is indeed a service dog which they can then show to the person in charge at the place they are going to. You need that blue sticker to park in a disabled parking spot why not have something similar for a service animal
    That pretty much solves it entirely.

Where it falls down though is the law is so vague that "I got this dog as an emotional support animal." falls under the protected service dog laws we currently have.

then there is the problem and it needs to be changed, makes no sense to me why it would be illegal to ask in the first place though. Once again, self centered assholes ruining it for the people who actually do need service animals -_-

That damn constitution coming in the way again 4th amendment wrecking havoc again.

My mother has a monkey that is registered through the state as a service animal. She takes that thing every where but no one has tried to tell her to leave when she has it.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Linadra It might help if you read the link?

The range of disabilities is much wider than it once was, and ways to respond to those needs have expanded as well. Early service dogs were the so-called seeing eye dogs and those started out in Europe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guide_dog
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    My mother has a monkey that is registered through the state as a service animal. She takes that thing every where but no one has tried to tell her to leave when she has it.
    A monkey? That's pretty unique, I didn't know they had service monkeys.
    I imagine it would just sit on her shoulder or something as she goes around?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    A monkey? That's pretty unique, I didn't know they had service monkeys.
    I imagine it would just sit on her shoulder or something as she goes around?
    Its a marmoset that is about 12 inches long total (including tail). She has these special carrying pouches for it that is mesh on one side and hangs around her neck to keep him with her. Other times she keeps it on a leash and it sits on her shoulder. I'm not sure if service animals have different classifications, but it's like a stress/depression animal that my father got for her after she had a stroke. She took it pretty seriously and got it registered so she can take it where ever she wanted to.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.