Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Just another attempt from science to write off a creator, nothing will come from this. I am curious tho, what will be the dagger that shows we are the only life in the cosmos? Would a trip to one of jupiters moons be enough?
    If we find a planet earthy-enough, that doesn't have life on it yet, we'll BE the creators. That's exciting in and of itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

My dad liked to kick around the idea that the different races on earth are from different worlds, just dropped off for some giant social experiment. If humanity started with two people as the bible would have us believe, why then are there so many varied races?

Hell could be that some Prometheus level shit went down and a petrie dish was dumped out in the ocean of this world and then millions of years later here we are.

Just another attempt from science to write off a creator, nothing will come from this. I am curious tho, what will be the dagger that shows we are the only life in the cosmos? Would a trip to one of jupiters moons be enough?
    Not even close. At best it writes off the poor story telling of people trying to sum up what a creator did. It is nothing more then our own limited thought process and ego that allows people to think in such a vast universe that we are a focal point or on the only planet with life. There could be a million planets with life and an idea of creation could still be true. It is people unwillingness to adjust a very old story written and told by people that is anchoring people to the tiny box they won't think outside of.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfkicker View Post
    My dad liked to kick around the idea that the different races on earth are from different worlds, just dropped off for some giant social experiment. If humanity started with two people as the bible would have us believe, why then are there so many varied races?
    Does that qualify as being racist? I don't even know. We're not really all that different, just some minor adaptations to our local environments with things like melanin in our skin or amount of hair. I'd feel like aliens from other planets would at least be more distinct looking than that. (Which is why conveniently humanoid aliens like superman always bugged me)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Does that qualify as being racist? I don't even know. We're not really all that different, just some minor adaptations to our local environments with things like melanin in our skin or amount of hair.
    And important stuff like the ability to drink milk and alcohol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarfkicker View Post

Hell could be that some Prometheus level shit went down and a petrie dish was dumped out in the ocean of this world and then millions of years later here we are.
    Hate to break it to you, but that's from southpark.

Man dont get me started on gravitational waves...

Seriously tho, if we couldnt take them seriously back in the day to detect the movement of the earth (we concluded the actual instrument got shrunken lol) how can we take these new readings seriously? Its not possible that the earth is standing still (thats heresy!) but its of course possible for the instruments to work properly when it suits our needs (puke).

Seriously tho, if we couldnt take them seriously back in the day to detect the movement of the earth (we concluded the actual instrument got shrunken lol) how can we take these new readings seriously? Its not possible that the earth is standing still (thats heresy!) but its of course possible for the instruments to work properly when it suits our needs (puke).

Technology and science advances. That's the thing, we learn and know more and more as time goes on.

10+ Year Old Account

You're de-railing, stay on topic please. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Almost the entire thread hasn't been on rails since page 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    Almost the entire thread hasn't been on rails since page 1.
    Well now the Anti-Fun Police is here to request it get back on topic.

As a friendly reminder, religion discussion is not allowed on this forum, nor is it the topic at hand anyway. Please drop it and get back on the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    LOL what! Are you even paying attention to the thread? I got take a shower after having a good laugh about people being REALLY confident about the existence or non-existence about dark matter, and now its on me to continue the conversation?

LOL what! Are you even paying attention to the thread? I got take a shower after having a good laugh about people being REALLY confident about the existence or non-existence about dark matter, and now its on me to continue the conversation?
    You kinda brought up creationism and geocentrism out of nowhere in a thread about the possible discovery of an exoplanet in the star closest to ours.

To get back on track.

It's likely that the measurement was done by 'Pale Red Dot'.

According to https://palereddot.org/peer-review-o...ic-literature/ on July 1st they were resubmitting a paper about their earlier results (with data up until march 2016, which likely found better evidence for this planet) after some modifications.

If we assume it is accepted, and following the flow-chart it would then be a made public after about 6-7 weeks, which is about now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jester Bro saves the day.

OT: If project starshot pans out we may get a closer look.

As for going there, one of the bigger problems is communication. We're already having issues communicating with the voyagers. Even if we get there, how are we gonna contact Earth?

Ok? As is everything else in science today? How is dark matter working out for you?
    Sorry to bust your bubble, but there has been direct proof of dark matter for 10 years now.
    http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006...rk_Matter.html

10+ Year Old Account
    As for going there, one of the bigger problems is communication. We're already having issues communicating with the voyagers. Even if we get there, how are we gonna contact Earth?
    A big transmitter?

Lasers big enough to be useful would need too much power
    Last edited by Medusa Cascade; 2016-08-13 at 06:14 PM.

Simple: we use a slingshot around the star/planet to make the it reverse course and get the camera back. And have it lay dormant until it reaches proxima centauri.

We could also consider using solar panels at the destination.

But it will take a very very long time - like tens of thousands years with Voyager speeds; and if we travel too fast those ideas will probably not work (and since the star regularly flares it may burn anyway).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Simple: we use a slingshot around the star/planet to make the it reverse course and get the camera back. And have it lay dormant until it reaches proxima centauri.

We could also consider using solar panels at the destination.

But it will take a very very long time - like tens of thousands years with Voyager speeds; and if we travel too fast those ideas will probably not work (and since the star regularly flares it may burn anyway).
    A small probe propelled by a several gigawatt orbital laser could maybe achieve .20c but we're a bit away from that