Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Urgent] Warning!! The previous over clocking has failed

Okay so, I was playing Fable 3 - all of the sudden I got a BSOD telling me nsiproxy.sys or something. Computer reboots and goes into "endless boot mode" I unplug it, let it sit for about 10 minutes. Start it back up, and I'm seeing this "previous over clocking has failed" error. I've had this computer for about 5 years now and it's never once said this (been OC genied from the get go)
    Specs -

8GB Ram at 1600
    i5 2500K ocd to 4.2GHZ (via mobo's OC genie)
    Temps have always been stable. I think my GPU once reached 70 degrees. It's an MSI, just like the mobo. (P67A-GD65 B3)

I'm looking at the bios screen and I have no clue what to do. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    When is the last time you updated your bios?
    Never. I'm not sure how to do that to be honest.

From a google search for msi overclocking failed:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...ng-failed.html
    I don't have a transferable drive so I guess I'm fucked :3

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I don't have a transferable drive so I guess I'm fucked :3
    Pretty much. Over clocking is an advanced configuration, even though motherboards make it easy, it's still something reserved for the savvy or enthusiast. As someone who over clocks, you should be keeping your bios, windows and drivers up to date.

Have you returned it to stock clocks? Chips do degrade over time and if you are on the bleeding edge - well you are just more likely to run into problems.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I guess my bios is v1.9? 2011 or so. I've kept everything else up to date, always. How do I return it to defaults?

Deleted
    i think msi has a tool to flash bios from windows. i assme you have tried turning OCgenie off and booting that way? you could also burn it on a cd/dvd if you have that option available.

though tbh i find it rather weird that a 5 year stable OC will be fixed by a bios update whos most recent version is probably 4 years old by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    i think msi has a tool to flash bios from windows. i assme you have tried turning OCgenie off and booting that way? you could also burn it on a cd/dvd if you have that option available.

though tbh i find it rather weird that a 5 year stable OC will be fixed by a bios update whos most recent version is probably 4 years old by now.
    I don't see an option to be able to select it from a disc. Only USB :x

- - - Updated - - -

Computer boots now. Disabled OC genie and turned it off on MOBO. So after 5 years of a stable 4.2 it just couldn't handle it anymore...?

Deleted
    The most recent update was from 2 years after the OP's version... It's not entirely unthinkable that they're having issues because of that and nothing else.
    i just find it weird that it didn't crash sooner, but i'm no expert.

- - - Updated - - -

Computer boots now. Disabled OC genie and turned it off on MOBO. So after 5 years of a stable 4.2 it just couldn't handle it anymore...?
    could be that, could be the bios update will fix it, could be something else. automatic OC tools typically use more voltage then required so that could have degraded the chip a bit, but no need to worry about that just yet, buy/borrow a usb drive and try the bios thing first then go from there.

At the desktop screen now. Is it possible to update my bios now? Without usb drives etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so my computer is very unstable it seems. I loaded up Fable 3, and just let it sit. After about 10 minutes the computer just shut off. No error, no BSOD. And it's now in the "boot up, stay on for 3 seconds, shut off" cycle.

Deleted
    you can try going here https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...l#down-utility

look for the program that says Online update BIOS/Driver/Firmware/Utility. • Live Monitor auto-detects and suggests the latest BIOS/Driver/Utilities information.

i seem to recall being able to flash my bios with that from windows on my old pc, but ofc that may not be supported nowadays.

At the desktop screen now. Is it possible to update my bios now? Without usb drives etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so my computer is very unstable it seems. I loaded up Fable 3, and just let it sit. After about 10 minutes the computer just shut off. No error, no BSOD. And it's now in the "boot up, stay on for 3 seconds, shut off" cycle.
    Okay so computer starts back up again, with the same error from the start "Warning previous over clocking has failed" I have no clue what's going on. :/

Okay so computer starts back up again, with the same error from the start "Warning previous over clocking has failed" I have no clue what's going on. :/
    Reset your CMOS. That will reset the overclocking settings to factory defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Reset your CMOS. That will reset the overclocking settings to factory defaults.
    How would I go about doing this? c:

Oh you have the same mobo as me

The mobo has issues but it works fine, if mine stays off Power for more than 2mins it requires a reset CMOS to boot again.

You want to remove the round battery and leave it out for a good 15mins to make sure it has reset.

Otherwise there is a small "Reset CMOS" at the back if you check you will find it, press it down for awhile, supposedly 15 seconds but thats bullshit, mines needs a good 2mins and -if- it works.

The mobo is a mess really.

And yes, as others have mentioned your CPU is just "tired", thats why it cant handle the OC anymore, you have to manually do it if you want it OCed to a slightly higher value.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Oh you have the same mobo as me

The mobo has issues but it works fine, if mine stays off Power for more than 2mins it requires a reset CMOS to boot again.

You want to remove the round battery and leave it out for a good 15mins to make sure it has reset.

Otherwise there is a small "Reset CMOS" at the back if you check you will find it, press it down for awhile, supposedly 15 seconds but thats bullshit, mines needs a good 2mins and -if- it works.

The mobo is a mess really.

And yes, as others have mentioned your CPU is just "tired", thats why it cant handle the OC anymore, you have to manually do it if you want it OCed to a slightly higher value.
    I'll try this out! For now I haver enabled the OC genie. All of it is back to as if it were yesterday. I loaded up dying light and am letting it sit. I noticed speed fan was saying my GPU was overheating (cpu sits at 49c at 4.2GHZ) gpu was at 85c 0.o. Could that have been the cause? I loaded up MSI and the fans were not on auto and stuck at 40%. I put them at 100% and gpu went down to 65c

Instructions will be in the motherboard manual.

Try cleaning out your computer, might just be overheating.

Not sure why but I think Fable 3 may have been the culprit. (Or the gpu) Dying Light has been on, computer has been stable for 30+ minutes now. (GPU maximum hits 66, before it was at around 80-86 with fable 3, and fan speed stuck at 40%)

Have you updated the freaking BIOS yet? There's a reason they release those updates...
    Unfortunately I have no real way of updating it. I have np transferable drives or an empty disc. The nearest city with open shops at this time is about 1 hour 30 minutes away :x