Poll: How should the old world be updated

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Old World Update

So I am wondering some opinions on this. I would love for Blizzard to update the old world. Either through a blanket update like Cataclysm (Not a full reshape the land type thing, as there was a good lore reason behind that) scenario's or phased zones.

Some of my favorite content in WoW has been the revisiting of older locations. Such as revisiting the Black Temple in The Black Harvest Quest, or The Nexus during the Legendary Staff. There are just so many characters and locations that are just forgotten about and never mentioned again once their expansion is over. Few examples, I'd like to know what happened to New Hearthglenn, the place was a fairly large settlement to just be abandoned. Does the Argent Crusade Occupy it? The Alliance? Scourge? Smugglers? Now that the Dark Iron Dwarves are the good guys what happens with Shadowforge City? Will the Dark Irons ever retake Blackrock Spire from the rotating cast of Orcs/Dragons/Ogres/Trolls? (Blackrock Spire has been updated a few times though, which I've always liked) Will Danath ever leave Honor Hold? Etc... I know some people will see this as lazy and just recycled old content but I view little updates like this as a progression of the overall story.

And I've read a bit that Legion is doing this, which is one reason I am looking forward to Legion that perhaps any other expansion.

So if there were to provide updates, how would you rather see them?

Blanket Update like Catacylsm
    Scenario's like Black Harvest
    Phased Zones like Theramore Pre/Post Destruction

And what are some other areas & characters you'd like to see an update on?
    Last edited by Poshadin; 2016-08-13 at 04:56 PM.
    SWTOR Friend Referral code: http://www.swtor.com/r/DzSdz8
    (You get free stuff, I get free stuff, win/win!)

I want a blanket update back to pre-cata azeroth Does that count?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I would like to see global updates, but I know that'd require either a ton of man-hours or a large team which would easily take away from other content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see a mix of the two middle options. Story scenarios that catch you up to the current events in the old world, then once you complete said scenarios or a world event kicks in that leaves the zone changed, the zone phases for your character. This allows for story progression without robbing players of nostalgia for what was, as in almost every case of phased zones you can speak to a Bronze Dragon NPC near one of the entrances to said zone and have it revert to the old phase for the duration of your stay. I'd go so far as to say I wouldn't mind the option for the 'old' Azeroth to be reimplemented (using modern art assets and updated for flight, but with the old quest chains and mob placement/elite status put back in), but that should be held off toward the end of the game's lifespan when the devs don't anticipate needing to develop any more endgame content as a sort of farewell to the game.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I don't want MASSIVE changes overall, but I would like to see some of the damage from Cataclysm to be somewhat receovered in many zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    Blizzard should pull a WoD-like time travel thing and revert everything back to like it was before Cata but with updated textures. 1k needles is restored to its former glory, the Twilight Hammer clan are nowhere to be seen and the Barrens is now the Barrens.

I think phased zone style, I really don't want a case where we can't ever replay cata like we can't ever replay classic.

So I think the story should continue, but phased. unlike cata, they should actually make it a 20 level expansion, with the first 10 levels involving going through Azeroth again , but this time where you get to do in AZeroth depends on your race, so you're not going to be able to do every single portion of Azeroth unless you role every race.. The next 10 levels is the new expansion continent.

They should do something about the havoc caused by deathwing at least. It doesn't make sense that stuff is still burning.

7+ Year Old Account
    I want old Azeroth back.

Fuck Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I want a blanket update back to pre-cata azeroth Does that count?
    Yeah its called vanilla servers people have been begging for them for years

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There should be every zone version accessible as a phase, just like how it is done in the Blasted Lands or Dustwallow Marsh. The only difference is it needs to be built into the game as a full system. So instead of talking to a NPC in the zone to change the phases you should just be able to select from ones you have access to by an option under the character portrait, like selecting dungeon difficulty. Maybe make it so you have to be in an inn to change the phase, or something.

They need to do a blanket change to the world to reflect post expansion changes. This would be prime post-legion invasion. Get rid of all the cata quests in the old world and put the expansions themselves behind portals in the caverns of time. Simple quests would send to to "experience an important moment in history" while questing. The cataclysm was a cool idea but to leave it with all the bullshit garrosh and deathwing stuff 3 expansions later is tiresome. Old world content shoilf be pretty general with shoestring story leads, not huge overarching expansion specific content that is outdated the next expansion.

old zones like outland i would like to see them updated to reflect how it changed through quests...only raids and such revisit with scenario

Deleted
    They should just update a few zones every major patch and put some world quests in it also.

They could assign a team to do it zone by zone, and not as a feature of an entire expansion. With the updates, there should also be updates to ALL models. No more paper-looking creatures. With all the new updated Demon models, it would be a prime time to replace all the Outland models as well.

They should also make changes to reflect the fact that the Cataclysm is over. A bridge between Southern and Northern Barrens, lava cracks in the ground becoming rivers and such things. They've got the money, I don't buy that they couldn't do this and still produce expansions like MoP and hopefully, Legion at the same time.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-08-13 at 09:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    BC zones could use a touch up

Deleted
    Just do new content. Forget the old crap already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cata update deleted a lot of zones. It's truly sad. In fact what is sad is that they "forgot" to add the option to visit the pre shattering zone, just like Zidormi does for the pre wod Blasted Lands.

Under those conditions, a cata world update is the last thing the game needs. Truly the last thing it needs, because it is harmful. No one that has respect for the game wants to see full zones being removed.

Why do you think so much people "miss" vanilla ?

They removed Azeroth and lost millions of subscribers after that, what did they expect

Edit : Looks like my post can be thought of as "Blizz hate" as showed in this post for instance : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41869350

But it really is not, the new Cata world is also really well made, just different. But I really think removing access to the old world was a huge mistake.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-08-14 at 01:35 PM.

More content should be max level stuff. If they want to do it in the old world, great, but Cata launch was a mess at least in part because so much effort went into the Old World revamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    Cata update deleted a lot of zones. It's truly sad. In fact what is sad is that they "forgot" to add the option to visit the pre shattering zone, just like Zidormi does for the pre wod Blasted Lands.
    They didn't "forget" it was not intended for you to go back at all.

Quote Originally Posted by leayouho View Post
    Blizzard should pull a WoD-like time travel thing and revert everything back to like it was before Cata but with updated textures. 1k needles is restored to its former glory, the Twilight Hammer clan are nowhere to be seen and the Barrens is now the Barrens.
    Funny you should mention Thousand Needles... that is one of those zones that look like complete crap from the air.