Thread: No Man's Sky

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    There's also liking a game and then there's white knighting, fanboying it to the point that you get butthurt when someone criticizes it. Which is what you're doing. How's that any better than what you're claiming I'm doing?
    Care to quote where I'm white knighting the game?
    What makes you think I'm butthurt about your shitposting? I'm just pointing out that you are not criticizing as you claim, you are shitposting. You seem to think that it's the same thing so I'm providing free education.

Go on try criticizing the game. If it's such a bad game as you claim - there must be some way to criticize it. Point it all out.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Is that a confirmed update? Basebuilding would EASILY make this the first 8.0 out of 10 game I've ever played.
    http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/

"Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters"

Looks like it'll be in the game, although tbh I'm not sure what function the bases will serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Care to quote where I'm white knighting the game?
    What makes you think I'm butthurt about your shitposting? I'm just pointing out that you are not criticizing as you claim, you are shitposting. You seem to think that it's the same thing so I'm providing free education.

Go on try criticizing the game. If it's such a bad game as you claim - there must be some way to criticize it. Point it all out.
    Bland, boring, and repetitive gameplay. If you've explored one planet, you've basically explored them all. Inventory and crafting system is subpar and boring. Combat is a joke. You're doing the exact same shit at 100 hours in that you were doing at 2 hours in. No variety to anything. The list goes on and on.

The reviews for this game are pretty accurate so far. The game is far to boring and repetitive and is missing some key components that it needs to even feel like a compete game. Add in the fact that they are charging $60 for this junk and it makes it even more unappealing to even start in the first place.

The general consensus is in. The game was overhyped, it has underdelivered, and overall is a pretty mediocre game at best. End of story.

If you actually like this, then more power to you. There are always some people that are far more easily entertained than others.

the vistas in this game are really good but the screenies lose about 95% of the awesomeness simply because they are a still.

http://bit.ly/2aQoTYD

http://bit.ly/2bp03BJ

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=743473482

that last one looked really good with the dust blowing across the screen and the heavy smog settled in the pits in the background.

the game can definitely churn out really good sights. but yes it looks much better in game imo, i might even get a boost from that experimental patch seeing as i'm all amd.

i think there is 'getting it' and simply not getting it. a lot of ppl are simply jaded i think.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-08-13 at 11:05 PM.

Anyone know how to land on platforms more reliably. Apparently if you slow down really hard and turn to face ground and do it really slowly, you can see a white box appear around the landing platform and then you can land on it. It will cost no energy to lift off from a platform. Yet... I have found this extremly hard to do. I always land next to the platform or something.

Plutonium is common enough so it does not matter really even, if I don't manage to land on the platforms, but if it is intended to be possible, I'd like to save energy a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bland, boring, and repetitive gameplay. If you've explored one planet, you've basically explored them all. Inventory and crafting system is subpar and boring. Combat is a joke. You're doing the exact same shit at 100 hours in that you were doing at 2 hours in. No variety to anything. The list goes on and on.
    Goes on you say?
    I filtered your attempt at criticisms by removing all shit posting and leaving anything that at least tries to resembles a criticism, here's what I got:

1. Repetitive gameplay
    2. No variety

First, you have to explain why 1 is bad in a sandbox survival game (especially considering the fact that there's not a single game that doesn't have repetitive gameplay, seriously NAME ONE)
    Second, there were plenty of variety in 17 hours that I played. So "no variety" is a lie.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Anyone know how to land on platforms more reliably. Apparently if you slow down really hard and turn to face ground and do it really slowly, you can see a white box appear around the landing platform and then you can land on it. It will cost no energy to lift off from a platform. Yet... I have found this extremly hard to do. I always land next to the platform or something.

Plutonium is common enough so it does not matter really even, if I don't manage to land on the platforms, but if it is intended to be possible, I'd like to save energy a bit.
    lol, I've played for at least 30 hours and just today I saw the white lines go around the landing platform for the first time. I've landed on them a bunch by just getting lucky and guessing when to press the landing button.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    lol, I've played for at least 30 hours and just today I saw the white lines go around the landing platform for the first time. I've landed on them a bunch by just getting lucky and guessing when to press the landing button.
    As I said... they are extremely hard to see... or use.

I think that's probably one of the most annoying parts of the game, not being able to completely stop your ship or go in reverse while you're in a planets atmosphere. When you're in space you can completely stop and even go in reverse, but not when you're in the atmosphere...I've lost track of things because the only way to go back is to keep going forward and then circle around. I lost a crashed ship I wanted to grab because of that earlier.

10+ Year Old Account

Just fly over platforms and initiate landing. No need to see the selection, in fact when I first noticed the selection (after dozens of successful landings) I began failing sometimes, because I tried to "aim" at the landing platform to see the selection and that probably screws everything, because spaceship is not meant to "bend" that way normally while landing.

Also it depends on the outpost - if it's a big one with several platforms - it's easier. If you miss one - you'll land on another. But on outposts with a single platform - that can get tricky. You need to fly real slow and initiate landing at the right moment. Takes practice and then you will just feel it.

But as you say Plutonium is abundant so I don't even bother with single landing pads.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Is that a confirmed update? Basebuilding would EASILY make this the first 8.0 out of 10 game I've ever played.
    Not really. When HG released the day 0 patch notes they stated that at some time in the future base building and freighters would be added. It wasn't really a confirmation just a "Whats planned".
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted

Did'nt know that it was resource free to leave from a platform, but since I can't go 5 mins without tripping over a plutonium node, it makes no difference.
    Now, finding the damn plans to upgrade my Warp Reactor, that is really beginning to piss me off.

Goes on you say?
    I filtered your attempt at criticisms by removing all shit posting and leaving anything that at least tries to resembles a criticism, here's what I got:

1. Repetitive gameplay
    2. No variety

First, you have to explain why 1 is bad in a sandbox survival game (especially considering the fact that there's not a single game that doesn't have repetitive gameplay, seriously NAME ONE)
    Second, there were plenty of variety in 17 hours that I played. So "no variety" is a lie.
    Repetitiveness and no variety to anything after a few hours into the game basically sums up the entire game. Those two things alone make the game pretty damn bad when the whole fucking game is plagued by it. A vast majority of the people who've played the game are all saying the same thing. It's no longer a debate. The game is very lackluster, boring, and super repetitive. But by all means, continue on implying that my opinions don't matter when most people who've played the game are all saying the exact same thing as me.

But obviously, you love mining the same rock over and over for hours on end and exploring the same planets with slightly different color schemes, and scanning the 97th variety of varmint again. More power to you dude. Like I said, some people are way more easily entertained than others. That's why coloring books exist too I guess.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-13 at 11:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Repetitiveness and no variety to anything after a few hours into the game basically sums up the entire game. Those two things alone make the game pretty damn bad when the whole fucking game is plagued by it.

But obviously, you love mining the same rock over and over for hours on end and exploring the same planets with slightly different color schemes, and scanning the 97th variety of varmint again. More power to you dude. Like I said, some people are way more easily entertained than others. That's why coloring books exist too I guess.
    You clearly haven't played the game beyond the first planet if at all. Probably you saw someone boring playing the game boringly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Repetitiveness and no variety to anything after a few hours into the game basically sums up the entire game. Those two things alone make the game pretty damn bad when the whole fucking game is plagued by it.
    Your definition of few is incorrect. I find it amazing for one who dislikes the game so much you've spent a lot of time trying to state it with little eloquence. Move on or is the game that addicting that you can't stop hating it?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

You clearly haven't played the game beyond the first planet if at all. Probably you saw someone boring playing the game boringly.
    I've watched several streamers playing it and tried it out for myself as long as I could before being unable to get a refund for it on Steam (because I definitely wanted a refund after experiencing it). I don't need to put 100 hours into this game myself to see that nothing changes and it's the same shit, just a different color from beginning to end. This isn't some game that you HAVE to put 100 hours into to see if anything changes. Because it doesn't. It's the same old shit, over and over and over. And when you combine that with mediocre and lackluster systems in-game, it makes the repetitiveness that much worse.

This game is literally nothing more than a "fly around and look at pretty things" simulator. If I didn't know any better, I'd think it was some cheap, lame ass attempt at trying to sell VR gear and nothing more. Because that's most definitely how it comes across. No depth to the game whatsoever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Your definition of few is incorrect. I find it amazing for one who dislikes the game so much you've spent a lot of time trying to state it with little eloquence. Move on or is the game that addicting that you can't stop hating it?
    Already refunded it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Already refunded it.
    Then you didn't play long enough to run out of variety.

the nit picking is insane, if we break every game down they are all number stacking games, you always repeating the same animations over and over and over again killing the same models over and over again. what about no mans sky is really any different to practically any other game if we're just going to get all pedantic about gaming in general.

the awe in this game is completely derived from your own curiosity to explore and that everything you find IS randomly generated and not hand crafted so the experience is about as dynamic as you want it to be, you have a score board of statistics to build up, and that is it really. its a game, just like any other game.

could the game use improvement, most definitely, in many areas, but so far this is a great release platform for future ideas and improvements. no doubt for a lot of folks who have played a lot of survival games this one is going to be a too tame and most likely far too similar to what you've already done. but I don't really know what to say to break through the rage over this game, its meant to be a chilled out game. which is ironic really.

there are challenges to be had, mild-ish ones, but planets with frenzied sentient drones and radiation storms that drain your life support in 10 seconds are interesting to explore.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-08-13 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Then you didn't play long enough to run out of variety.
    It's like I've been saying. The variety isn't compelling. It's different but not novel.

You can see the same strings pulling all the various little marionette pieces. Thus is the curse of procedural generation.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I basically see it as a grinding game that just happens to be set in this huge galaxy. You grind to make money to buy more slots for your armor, or to buy a ship and you grind to build upgrades for your weapon and ship. The only way to get a weapon or a ship with more slots is to find a bigger one and buy it. Then you have to make your upgrades for it again. You're constantly progressing your character while just grinding away.

At the start you spend a lot of time mining a bunch of shit you don't really need and just selling it since that's really all you're able to do. Once you start playing it more you start learning what you really need to mine and what you can just ignore. Eventually you start finding planets with materials that you've never seen before and you can start making upgrades you haven't been able to make. I'm still finding planets with mats I've never seen and I know there's more to find. When you find a planet that has things like Albumen Pearls and Gravitino Balls it's like hitting the jackpot. Those things are all over the ground and sell for a ton more than any material you can mine. They also instantly give you a wanted level with sentinels and often the planet has a hazardous weather behavior, so you get a little more of a challenge than you're used to.

Even space combat gets a lot better when you can start making your upgrades. Use the beam instead of the cannon and do a few beam upgrades. I'm playing on ps4, so ship combat was a real bitch until I learned this. The beam has a decent auto aim and it makes the ship combat so much better. You'll also want to make sure you're always carrying some iron so you can repair your shield as needed. I actually enjoy it now when a group of space pirates pops up on me.

If you're not interested in the grind then the variety of the planets isn't going to mean shit as you won't even be playing long enough to see the variety.