Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I am really hoping they learn from FFXIV 2.0. Just because you think something is a good idea doesn't mean it is... with 2.0 they take a ton of player feedback and actually use it. Something WoW forgot how to do a long time ago.

13 I could't even finish which is sad because the game is pretty. 12 was one long CS and I hated it but they still have a long list of great games they should be able to take hints from.

Kingdom Hearts... Most of these are great but some do have too much cutscenes for my taste. Chrono Trigger is still considered by many to be one of the best RPGs ever made (I agree). FF6 like Chrono Trigger is often considered one of the best RPGs ever. FF7 is amazing although I don't fully understand the rabid fanbase. FFT I didn't care for but its clearly a great game. FF9 is amazing. FF8 and 10 are very good. FF11 and 14 are two of the better MMOs ever released (and there are a lot of MMOs). Secret of Evermore was a really cool game... and some of their older stuff like that has been forgotten but they where good games.

Chrono Chross is also an amazing game but they tried to tie it to Chrono Trigger which was a mistake. They should have just kept their own story line... those few ties to Trigger brought the game down imo.

...and this is just some of their big RPGs. There are lots of games I haven't listed. SE has had a lot of trouble the last 10 years or so but XIV has given me a lot of hope (even if you are not into MMOs I recommend picking up the game and playing through the story once... its worth it imo). If they pull of XV then it will probably be safe to say the SE we enjoyed for so long is finally back.

SE hasn't been the same for awhile. Every single FF they feel obsessively compelled to re-invent the wheel. \

No one expects the game to have obsolete Final Fantasy 1 battle system, but do we need to go the full action-RPG route? FF10 was great, then they made 12 into MMO combat, and haven't looked back since.

Also, season pass.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    For me, the last truly good game that SE made was The World Ends With You.

This one.

I wonder how many of you played this game. It is truly glorious. Great storyline, great characters (Joshua ftw!), amazing soundtrack, and a great ending, something that I've rarely find in games nowadays.
    Btw TWEWY is from 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    I am really hoping they learn from FFXIV 2.0. Just because you think something is a good idea doesn't mean it is... with 2.0 they take a ton of player feedback and actually use it. Something WoW forgot how to do a long time ago.

13 I could't even finish which is sad because the game is pretty. 12 was one long CS and I hated it but they still have a long list of great games they should be able to take hints from.

Kingdom Hearts... Most of these are great but some do have too much cutscenes for my taste. Chrono Trigger is still considered by many to be one of the best RPGs ever made (I agree). FF6 like Chrono Trigger is often considered one of the best RPGs ever. FF7 is amazing although I don't fully understand the rabid fanbase. FFT I didn't care for but its clearly a great game. FF9 is amazing. FF8 and 10 are very good. FF11 and 14 are two of the better MMOs ever released (and there are a lot of MMOs). Secret of Evermore was a really cool game... and some of their older stuff like that has been forgotten but they where good games.

Chrono Chross is also an amazing game but they tried to tie it to Chrono Trigger which was a mistake. They should have just kept their own story line... those few ties to Trigger brought the game down imo.

...and this is just some of their big RPGs. There are lots of games I haven't listed. SE has had a lot of trouble the last 10 years or so but XIV has given me a lot of hope (even if you are not into MMOs I recommend picking up the game and playing through the story once... its worth it imo). If they pull of XV then it will probably be safe to say the SE we enjoyed for so long is finally back.
    When it was revealed that Zeals jobber second-in-command murked crono and marle, chrono cross was dead to me
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

For me, the best games Square has ever released are FFXII, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy Tactics. Opinions are like assholes.

Xenogears is still my favorite Square game, and would love to see it revived as something that's not as awful as Xenosaga.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    For me, the best games Square has ever released are FFXII, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy Tactics.
    I feel the same way. Ivalice is such a fascinating and atmospheric setting.

7+ Year Old Account
    and Final Fantasy Tactics.
    I love you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Xenogears is still my favorite Square game, and would love to see it revived as something that's not as awful as Xenosaga.
    Oh god, that would be amazing. I loved that game so much.

I really want to see PROPER remakes/continuations of the Front Mission series too. The most recent PC game was so-so, really didn't feel like Front Mission, more like a severely gimped version of Armored Core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I don't have a good feeling about 15. Seems like they're just copying monster hunter, but watering it down. Then their art direction is drunk... they're literally slapping every single previous FF element into one world and it clashes so badly. Swords, guns, magic, cars, superhighways, anti-grav laser firing spaceships, airships, etc. all in one game? Why?

I have always hated square Japanese rpgs. I hate the art style, I hate their stories and I hate turn based rpgs. Illusion of Gaia and secret of mana were great. I would love to see them make more action rpgs with more of a European art style rather than Japanese art style and story. When I first played final fantasy on the old Nintendo entertainment system, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. It was a great game and for me it was the first time I could play dungeons and dragons style game single player.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTB Brave Fencer Musashi in HD with a newly designed world and character models.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I have always hated square Japanese rpgs. I hate the art style, I hate their stories and I hate turn based rpgs. Illusion of Gaia and secret of mana were great. I would love to see them make more action rpgs with more of a European art style rather than Japanese art style and story. When I first played final fantasy on the old Nintendo entertainment system, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. It was a great game and for me it was the first time I could play dungeons and dragons style game single player.
    You do know that most Square RPGs uses the gothic/european style in their designs, right? Including Bravely Default/Second, FFXII, and FFXIV. Hell just about every FF game.

Fans are pretty drawn on Square games that feature turn-based and action combat. I like both so I'm not picky but I do prefer action combat.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Deleted
    So, i guess you only mean squeenix japan.

I have to say, no, they don't know what we want. They see the sucess of western titles and they try to copy it. They listen to bad feedback of the new trends that say action based will sell more and they don't even realise that what people want from them is for them to keep doing what they were doing, istead of trying to do something different innan effort to mimic western sucess.

Make an FF like the PSone era ones. Don't be afraid of turn based or ATB. They work. Stop trying to westernise. What works for others doesn't necessarely means it will work for you.
    And finally, bet on your strengths. You have brands with proven formulas. Use those formulas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I don't have a good feeling about 15. Seems like they're just copying monster hunter, but watering it down. Then their art direction is drunk... they're literally slapping every single previous FF element into one world and it clashes so badly. Swords, guns, magic, cars, superhighways, anti-grav laser firing spaceships, airships, etc. all in one game? Why?
    If its anything like MH it will be an unmitigated disaster. But i don't think it is. It's more like Xenoblade but less open world and with a kinda terrible combat system based on the demo.

FF 15 looks pretty awful. The E3 Footage was so bad, I felt like they knew they should have presented something more in depth than trying to fight body parts with a string of no-signature attacks alongside what could only be imagined was maybe the allies of the controlled character.

The original trailer with the guys riding around in a car and then killing wildlife was much more interesting, as it promised an open world at least, and the potential fusion with our own.

I guess the majority of my skepticism comes from seeing so many franchises bomb themselves with bad direction these days. All the air around FF 15 started to resemble what I feel when I look at hyped gaming media or hear names dropped like m night shamalyn; No bueno.

In contrast, I still feel incredibly pumped about the open world Zelda coming out!

That having been said, the most important thing I saw in these threads is complaints about Chrono Cross. I used to feel the same way until I was retold the story.

Essentially, ALL the problems of Chrono Cross spawned from the fact that Schala blew her pendant's energies to save Chrono and friends from the Underwater Black Citadel when her mom went berserk. This means Schala no longer had the energy to save her mom or herself, like the original timeline. This creates the timeline where Schala is sucked into Lavos and her mom raises the Black Citadel out of the ocean.

Chrono and his friends were the ultimate fighters assembled by the Planet Gaia to defend it and defeat the space parasite Lavos. Nothing could beat them, they were epitome from across all Gaia's time and life. But what was created when Schala, a Royal Blood of the most powerful magic ever offered on Gaia, was sucked into Lavos and thus created Time Devourer, couldn't be beaten through force.

Enter Chrono Cross: The Assembly generated by Schala's remaining life force, magic, and Gaia's will, manifested mostly through her Clones, Kid and Harlequin (Who was also the 7th White Dragon and originator of the storm that pushed Surge's father into Chronopolis,) culminated through a series of dimensional adventures in the El Nido Archipelago (The "whole world map" of Chrono Cross, which was literally smaller than any continent in the first game Chrono Trigger, as they talked about this) which contains the experimental FATE who was produced by the Humans Lavos pulled through time at the end of the time line which one against the Dragons of Gaia) that ultimate end with Freeing Schala from the one mistake Chrono and his friends couldn't fix through brute force.

All a story about Schala saving herself through time and space, after she saved Chrono from screwing up the first time line.

In conclusion, Chrono Cross was literally entirely what it took to fix the ONLY mistake Chrono and his friends actually made that they couldn't fix.

EDIT: Forgot that the open world Zelda is Nintendo, not square-enix sorry.
    Last edited by Thoughtful Trolli; 2016-08-14 at 05:15 AM.

Fuckin Japan devs need to stop trying to be hip and fucking entire franchises up

Square got lucky with FF13 not bombing but fuck TOO MUCH ACTION TO LINEAR FUCK

Capcom Two words Resident Evil

Konami... I dont even fucking know anymore.

Deleted
    Except DeusEx they only produce absolute garbage!

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope they dont fuck up Dragon Quest XI.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    For me, the last truly good game that SE made was The World Ends With You.

This one.

I wonder how many of you played this game. It is truly glorious. Great storyline, great characters (Joshua ftw!), amazing soundtrack, and a great ending, something that I've rarely find in games nowadays.
    Btw TWEWY is from 2008.
    I loved that game. Elite Beat Agents, Phoenix Wright, TWEWY. Nintendo DS was a hell of a drug.

7+ Year Old Account
    I loved that game. Elite Beat Agents, Phoenix Wright, TWEWY. Nintendo DS was a hell of a drug.

Amazing titles. The PW trilogy is probably my favourite trilogy of all time, and that last scene with Godot was freaking incredible!

TWEWY made me cry. So good, so innovative, the soundtrack is just...oh my god. Good times.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like how this thread implies that they've suddenly started to go downhill. They've been at the bottom for awhile now.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.