Thread: No Man's Sky

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    1. Same question, but fired right back at you.
    Parroting now. But I'm not shocked you disagree with me. I've pointed out where your impression is flawed.

2. But for a lot of people it does matter. This is one of those situations where you think the price is completely irrelevant to the product being discussed. But for a lot of people, the price is a pretty big bulletpoint when determining whether a game is worth the buy or not and whether the quality of the game reflects the price tag on it. You seem to be one of those people that could care less what a game costs....you just want to play it. That's fine. But for a lot of people, the price vs. quality matters and you have no room to sit there and act like it doesn't matter just because it doesn't apply to you.
    The problem though is that you've said that the game is good if the price was different or if it was bundled with something else. That right there shows that to you the price is irrelevant yet you keep bringing it up as a reason why the game is bad. If the game is good at a different price it is still good at the current price. Because the game play hasn't changed because you are paying more or less.

3. Once again, here we are, with someone defending a game and saying that other people cannot sit there and argue the opposite side of the aisle. Just because you like the game and I don't, doesn't mean you're any more entitled to sit there and talk about it than I am. I can voice my complaints and concerns about the game as much as I want. It's obviously striking a nerve with you however, because you seem to like the game a lot and are therefore peeved about my continued posts. To which I say, take your own advice. If you don't like what you see, then ignore it and move the fuck on.
    You don't seem to understand, or if you don't you play ignorance in purpose which is the hallmark of a troll. I am not saying you can't argue the side of dislike for the game. I am arguing that your reasons for disliking the game are flawed. It is called a discussion you might want to look up the word in the dictionary because you don't seem to grasp the concept of how that works. The irony of you tell me if I don't like what I see to ignore it and move the expletive on. Then why are you still here discussing a game you don't like?

You have the right to discuss what you don't like. You don't have the right to bash it with ignorance and falsehoods without being corrected. Remember you started out with crap and poop to describe it. You've remarkably evolved but you keep focusing on the person behind the remarks because you have nothing of substance to complain about the game with.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The problem though is that you've said that the game is good if the price was different or if it was bundled with something else. That right there shows that to you the price is irrelevant yet you keep bringing it up as a reason why the game is bad. If the game is good at a different price it is still good at the current price. Because the game play hasn't changed because you are paying more or less.
    Once again, you are failing to understand that price vs. quality/content means something different for different people. In this case, NMS is a mediocre game at best and most definitely not worth $60. It's not a good game IMO....I thought I had made that clear by now. However, if the devs had chosen to sell it for $10 instead, that would be a much easier pill to swallow. Only spending $10 for a 5-10 hour romp through a casual, mediocre game before getting bored with it and moving on is more realistic and reasonable for some people. Spending $60 on it though and getting a 5-10 hour romp through it and then getting bored because of how bad it is however is not as appealing or acceptable. Other games suffer from this as well....there are many $60 games that are not worth that price point either. NMS happens to fall into that crowd though.

So if they had chosen to sell the game at a price point that actually reflects its quality and polish, then it's a better deal. Doesn't mean the game is suddenly or magically better. Just that its price more accurately reflects the mediocre game that it is. This is no different than other products you might buy. Generally, the lower quality products can not and do not sell for as much as higher quality and better products that you are more satisfied with and get more use out of. If the lower quality product sells for just as much if not more than a better quality product, then that shitty product needs to be brought to the attention of others and called out for the sham it is. Video games should be no different. Why people think video games should be exempt from something like this is beyond me. I guess some people are fine with having shit handed to them at a premium price "because vidya gamez".

- - - Updated - - -

You don't seem to understand, or if you don't you play ignorance in purpose which is the hallmark of a troll. I am not saying you can't argue the side of dislike for the game. I am arguing that your reasons for disliking the game are flawed. It is called a discussion you might want to look up the word in the dictionary because you don't seem to grasp the concept of how that works. The irony of you tell me if I don't like what I see to ignore it and move the expletive on. Then why are you still here discussing a game you don't like?

You have the right to discuss what you don't like. You don't have the right to bash it with ignorance and falsehoods without being corrected. Remember you started out with crap and poop to describe it. You've remarkably evolved but you keep focusing on the person behind the remarks because you have nothing of substance to complain about the game with.
    Oh boy. I can easily say the same thing to you. I am arguing that your reasons for liking the game are flawed. See how that works?

And I choose to keep responding to you because you choose to keep responding to me. Instead, why don't you move on? Why are you still here white knighting the game? Is it for a similar reason as to why I'm still here choosing to voice my displeasure with the game? *gasp*

There was no ignorance and falsehoods anywhere. I've talked about my experiences with the game and how I felt about them. Which, surprise, surprise....many, many, MANY other people share the same viewpoints as I do about the game right now. In fact, there are enough of them sharing my viewpoints that it would seem to make my point more valid than yours, truth be told (even though they are just opinions and nothing more). So maybe you should get your "facts" and high horse in check before responding again with something like "what you're saying is inherently wrong because I feel differently about it".
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-14 at 03:06 AM.

Deleted
    So any definitive words on multiplayer? Is it there or not?

Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    So any definitive words on multiplayer? Is it there or not?
    From what I've seen and heard, it's not actually there. At least not in the way they originally said it would be. False advertising at its finest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy. I can easily say the same thing to you. I am arguing that your reasons for liking the game are flawed. See how that works?
    But not once have you. Parroting words doesn't work. Because I haven't really stated any of my reasons for liking the game nor have you stated why my reasons are flawed. There is ignorance and falsehoods. You refunded the game which means your play time with it is limited. You've claimed there is no variety at all to the game but there really is variety. I finally came across my first T-Rex like creature (four hits and it would have killed me). Did you come across that? Did you experience all of the different effects which change the dynamics of resource gathering?

It shows how little you have to back up your stance when you have to resort to "Many people share what I think so it matters more then yours". You do realize that many people like the game to? What you are saying isn't inherently wrong because I feel differently about it. You've been all over the place in your criticism from out right trolling by calling it crap and poop to ignorance of their being no variety what so ever. If you don't believe me go back and read all your posts here.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    So, using a trainer, I turned on god mode and started shooting the fuck out of one of the giant ships in space in No Man's Sky. You can't destroy them. Cargo ships have containers you can destroy, the carrier types have turrets and fighters you can destroy, but the large ship itself just doesn't seem to take any damage. That's pretty lame.
    I just burned another 2 hours on this game, and it's just not for me. I mean, technically it is, there is so much to collect, mark, log, explore, etc, but there's just TOO MUCH. And none of it matters.
    I also fell through the world. I found an Aluminum 'tower' (there are these giant tower looking things of solid ores to mine), and I dug all the way to the bottom of it, and was working my way up. Then randomly just fell through the ground. THis was actually the reason I started using the trainer, I needed unlimited jumpjets to get myself back up. I can't even imagine what would've happened if I couldn't do that - you don't have saves you can go back to, it's all just one persistent game. So I couldn't just reload to a point before I fell through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why people don't like this game. It hit every checklist gamers these days want.

-developed by hipster nu-male indie guys
    -procedurally generated
    -space
    -unfullfiled promises
    -hyped beyond hype
    -slow walking
    -resource gathering survival

What more could you ask for, really? Fun? Something different than the other 50000 games on steam that already do these things? Hah! Not anymore, it's current year.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2016-08-14 at 03:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    you don't have saves you can go back to
    Except you do
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I don't get why people don't like this game. It hit every checklist gamers these days want.

-developed by hipster nu-male indie guys
    -procedurally generated
    -space
    -unfullfiled promises
    -hyped beyond hype
    -slow walking
    -resource gathering survival

What more could you ask for, really? Fun? Something different than the other 50000 games on steam that already do these things? Hah! Not anymore, it's current year.
    Hahaha.

That's actually pretty accurate. You need to post that as a Steam review if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    disclaimed : ive not played the game!

how ever it does look like the gameplay is expected to me, i was ont he fence about buying before release and i still am, the game play i have seen looks exactly like what i expected, i understand the game isn't for everyone, imo its aimed towards a very specific set of players, but im curious what people who are dissapointed were expecting, game play wise, not performance wise?
    I'm disappointed with it because it didn't live up to the hype imo and there are some flaws, but i do like the game. Def not worth 50 bucks unless there are some improvements. Ive only had a few problems performance wise where there is suddenly like lag where the entire game slows down, only happened 3 times sofar.

But not once have you. Parroting words doesn't work. Because I haven't really stated any of my reasons for liking the game nor have you stated why my reasons are flawed. There is ignorance and falsehoods. You refunded the game which means your play time with it is limited. You've claimed there is no variety at all to the game but there really is variety. I finally came across my first T-Rex like creature (four hits and it would have killed me). Did you come across that? Did you experience all of the different effects which change the dynamics of resource gathering?

It shows how little you have to back up your stance when you have to resort to "Many people share what I think so it matters more then yours". You do realize that many people like the game to? What you are saying isn't inherently wrong because I feel differently about it. You've been all over the place in your criticism from out right trolling by calling it crap and poop to ignorance of their being no variety what so ever. If you don't believe me go back and read all your posts here.
    You're literally taking your own opinions of the game and using them as "facts" of the game to try and prove me wrong.

You say there is all this variety. And yet countless videos, screenshots, playthroughs, and personal play experiences say the exact opposite of that. You're seeing two planets and saying they're varied for X reason. Meanwhile other people are seeing those exact same things and saying that they can see nothing but the bland and boring repititiveness in it because of X reason. You're taking your own subjective outlook on the game and saying "it's like this because I'm saying so". Meanwhile, countless others are strongly disagreeing with you.

For example...the screenshots of the vistas you posted earlier. They look really fucking bland and generic to me. And yet you're here saying "erhmergerd, so pretty, much wow, mind blown". And then acting like that proves your line of thinking when all it does is show that you're easily amused by something a lot of other people find boring and uninspiring.

Granted, I'm guilty too at times of using my own subjective opinions as reasons for why the game is bad or sucks, but don't sit there and act like your interpretation of the game is worth anything more than mine. Especially when there is currently a huge, overwhelming majority of people who are leaning towards my side of the argument (at least from the metrics we have available to us right now.....aka user reviews).

You can love the shit out of this game all you want. Go play your little heart out. But quit sitting there and acting like anything negative being said about the game is somehow wrong simply because you don't agree with it. There are huge flaws in this game, failed promises, performance issues, etc, etc, etc. But to hear you tell it, none of that apparently exists and anyone pointing it out is just some troll who's bashing the game for the sake of bashing it.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-14 at 04:32 AM.

You're literally taking your own opinions of the game and using them as "facts" of the game to try and prove me wrong.

You say there is all this variety. And yet countless videos, screenshots, playthroughs, and personal play experiences say the exact opposite of that. You're seeing two planets and saying they're varied for X reason. Meanwhile other people are seeing those exact same things and saying that they can see nothing but the bland and boring repititiveness in it because of X reason. You're taking your own subjective outlook on the game and saying "it's like this because I'm saying so". Meanwhile, countless others are strongly disagreeing with you.

For example...the screenshots of the vistas you posted earlier. They look really fucking bland and generic to me. And yet you're here saying "erhmergerd, so pretty, much wow, mind blown". And then acting like that proves your line of thinking when all it does is show that you're easily amused by something a lot of other people find boring and uninspiring.

Granted, I'm guilty too at times of using my own subjective opinions as reasons for why the game is bad or sucks, but don't sit there and act like your interpretation of the game is worth anything more than mine. Especially when there is currently a huge, overwhelming majority of people who are leaning towards my side of the argument (at least from the metrics we have available to us right now.....aka user reviews).

You can love the shit out of this game all you want. Go play your little heart out. But quit sitting there and acting like anything negative being said about the game is somehow wrong simply because you don't agree with it. There are huge flaws in this game, failed promises, performance issues, etc, etc, etc. But to hear you tell it, none of that apparently exists and anyone pointing it out is just some troll who's bashing the game for the sake of bashing it.
    Why are you so determined to hate on the game? If you don't like it, don't play it. Don't understand what you're gaining by hanging out here trying to talk down people that do enjoy the game. Maybe some of your complaints are legitimate, that's fine. I decided to try the game myself instead of listening to the crazy shitshow that's been going on and I really love it. I appreciate it for what it is, I didn't go in with expectations and really enjoy what it does well. I can sit back and listen to podcasts while exploring a pretty damn interesting universe, there's sameness in a lot of things but some of the views I've seen in game are better than any in any game I've played before.

Remember that this is an indie game, the people that hyped this up have no one but themselves to blame. There was plenty evidence before this was released that showed that NMS wasn't going to be a AAA feature packed game but rather a game about exploration in a way that hasn't been done yet in a theme that a lot of people want to experience. That may not justify the AAA price but whatever, you can choose what you do with your money.

10+ Year Old Account
    So? You see the same thing with non procedural generation as well.
    Because, again, the point of NMS is to explore things. Meaning you probably want to be seeing things that are novel and exciting.

World of Warcraft, Skyrim, and other such games might have exploration aspects, but that is hardly the extent of their design.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Why are you so determined to hate on the game? If you don't like it, don't play it. Don't understand what you're gaining by hanging out here trying to talk down people that do enjoy the game. Maybe some of your complaints are legitimate, that's fine. I decided to try the game myself instead of listening to the crazy shitshow that's been going on and I really love it. I appreciate it for what it is, I didn't go in with expectations and really enjoy what it does well. I can sit back and listen to podcasts while exploring a pretty damn interesting universe, there's sameness in a lot of things but some of the views I've seen in game are better than any in any game I've played before.

Remember that this is an indie game, the people that hyped this up have no one but themselves to blame. There was plenty evidence before this was released that showed that NMS wasn't going to be a AAA feature packed game but rather a game about exploration in a way that hasn't been done yet in a theme that a lot of people want to experience. That may not justify the AAA price but whatever, you can choose what you do with your money.
    The main reason I keep responding now is because others feel the need to keep responding to me and trying to prove me wrong with THEIR thoughts and opinions on the game. Sorry if my replies to the discussion being had, especially when people are talking to me specifically, are bothering you enough to make you comment on it as well. I'll tell you what I've told others....if my posts are bothering you (as they seem to be) then put me on ignore and move on. Nothing is forcing you to read anything I type.

It's amusing how people keep telling me to bugger off when they themselves can't seem to get over the very conversation they're saying is pointless.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-14 at 06:35 AM.

No Man's Sky: A Walk in the Digital Woods - The Point

IMO I say he hits the nail on the head about NMS.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Because, again, the point of NMS is to explore things. Meaning you probably want to be seeing things that are novel and exciting.

World of Warcraft, Skyrim, and other such games might have exploration aspects, but that is hardly the extent of their design.
    This is one of my main gripes with the game. The WHOLE point of the game is to explore and find new things. Without that, this game wouldn't even exist. And yet after you explore a few planets, things start to become more and more of the same. Sure, there are small variations thrown in from time to time, but overall, the game is more or less the same from beginning to end. You do the same boring, repetitive, menial tasks on one planet to go to the next planet and do the same boring, repetitive, menial tasks to go the next planet to do the same thing, over and over and over and over and over. And in the mean time, you might see some animals or plants that differ slightly from one planet to the next. Inventory management is asinine. Crafting is minimal and unrewarding. Combat is weak and uninspiring. The few NPCs you interact with do nothing but sit/stand there and stare at you for the most part. Put all of this on rinse and repeat and this is what you do until you get to the very anticlimactic ending, just to do it all over again in "new game +".

The game is to slow, boring, bland, repetitive, and lacking in variety to make the one main point of the game, exploring, any kind of fun whatsoever. When a game's whole drive is to get you to want to go to each new planet and find something new and exciting to keep you exploring on and on but fails to give anything meaningful or exciting to you in the process (and at the same time, eventually everything starts to look and seem the same, just in different colors), then what is the fucking point of the entire game?

It's fine if some people find this mind numbing type of gameplay fun. But the game needs to be called out on its flaws and shortcomings. For a game whose whole goal is exploration, the game gives very little reasoning to continue exploring after you've visited a certain number of planets. This is very evident when watching a lot of the people streaming or posting videos online of their playthroughs. After a certain amount of play time and exploration, most people start to skip planets entirely unless they NEED to go down to them for main storyline reasons. They're just trying to get to the end after awhile because they start to see how boring and repetitive everything is. And then the kicker at the end is that the game wants you to do it ALL OVER AGAIN in a different galaxy......the same boring repetitive shit, just in different shades of pink/green/blue/etc.

I know for every video game ever made, there will always be at least one person who loves the shit out of it. And that's fine. More power to them. But I'm not gonna sit here and have people tell me my opinions on the game are wrong simply because they're easily amused by a mediocre game.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-14 at 05:42 AM.

things start to become more and more of the same. Sure, there are small variations thrown in from time to time, but overall, the game is more or less the same from beginning to end. You do the same boring, repetitive,
    Your welcome to ur opinion but can you name me one game that isn't this?

Don't take me as defending NMS because I have yet to play it. But like I said can u name one name that isn't this?
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-08-14 at 05:53 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Your welcome to ur opinion but can't you name me one game that isn't this?

Don't take me as defending NMS because I have yet to play it. But like I said can u name one name that isn't this?
    While this can be applied to most video games in some way, shape, or form, NMS is particularly bad about it because there is pretty much only one point to the game. Explore and find new things.

The things most other games have going for them is that they tend to offer more variety in how they have you do things. They just have more stuff to do, and/or more ways to do it. Even the games that focus on only a few things tend to be better at it than NMS, because they put more depth and detail into said few things. Hell, games like Stardew Valley offer you more things to do and expands upon them better than NMS does. And that game costs $15. NMS costs $60, offers you less to do, and then starts to fail at the few things it does have (aka, gets very boring and repetitive to the point that you no longer want to play the game because the whole point of the game, exploration, just becomes a boring, mind numbing chore).

When a developer makes a game that focuses in on one specific thing, they had better do that one thing really fucking well and make sure to add as much depth and detail to it as possible. This is where NMS fails. The exploration becomes downright pointless because everything starts to inevitably become the same in some way, shape, or form. Most games can get around this by offering you different ways of accomplishing a goal or by changing up what you need to do in order to progress or just evolve the gameplay or systems in some way. NMS doesn't do this. It's the same shit from beginning to end, with the assumption that you'll want to keep doing it simply because "OMG EXPLORATION!". That gets really hard to do when variety starts lacking pretty early on as you progress further into the game.

That video you linked proves my point pretty well. Games like Oblivion, Skyrim, and RDR are much better in regards to how they present exploration and the game as a whole. Exploring in those games is fun because of all the OTHER shit you can do in the game at the same time. There's way more to do in those games either before, during, or after any exploring you wanna do. And when the exploring starts to get dull, there's always something else to turn to. In NMS, exploration is basically all there is (the minimial crafting and weak combat systems are there.....but they are most definitely nothing more than a small side blip on the radar in this game. And no, just because the devs force you into "survival crafting" doesn't make it any better. Most people have agreed that this is actually more annoying and detracting than anything else). And after awhile, that exploration really starts to drag because there's nothing else to do. If you're going to make a game all about exploring, you need to make sure that the exploration stays compelling enough to get people to the end without them becoming bored or irritated by it in the process.

Exploring the small nooks and crannies in a game like Witcher 3 is far more fun and rewarding than exploring the vast, empty, and repetitive galaxies of NMS. That's a personal opinion and nothing more, but I think it's also a very good example of how NMS fails to do the one thing it's meant to do....supposedly make you want to explore while giving you nothing fun or meaningful to do in the meantime.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-14 at 06:40 AM.

Exploring the small nooks and crannies in a game like Witcher 3 is far more fun and rewarding than exploring the vast, empty, and repetitive galaxies of NMS. That's a personal opinion and nothing more, but I think it's also a very good example of how NMS fails to do the one thing it's meant to do....make you want to explore while giving you nothing fun or meaningful to do in the meantime.
    You make some good points.

I can't really agree or disagree since I haven't played it. But personally I tihnk ALOT of the hate is people hyping the game up in there mind to be something it never was.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a group of people wanting this to be a mini-star citizen. If they want to charge $60 that is there call and ill defend that because anyone can charge what they wish for there product. But That may be another major issue with people.

I do plan to get it just at a way later date after more features are added.

One thing I won't defend is them lying and then avoiding the drama about Multiplayer. That alone is enough for me to wait for a used huge discounted price.

If it doesn't have Multiplayer fine but don't hide it with a sticker....

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You make some good points.

I can't really agree or disagree since I haven't played it. But personally I tihnk ALOT of the hate is people hyping the game up in there mind to be something it never was.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a group of people wanting this to be a mini-star citizen. If they want to charge $60 that is there call and ill defend that because anyone can charge what they wish for there product. But That may be another major issue with people.

I do plan to get it just at a way later date after more features are added.

One thing I won't defend is them lying and then avoiding the drama about Multiplayer. That alone is enough for me to wait for a used huge discounted price.

If it doesn't have Multiplayer fine but don't hide it with a sticker....
    The game should have never been $60. End of story.

For what this game is, $60 is straight up highway robbery. Like I said, Stardew Valley at $15 has more depth and more things to do in it than NMS.

Some people may be ok with paying $60 for this game, but that doesn't change the fact that for probably 90%+ of the population, this is nothing more than a lazy developer being greedy for the sake of being greedy.

And yeah, the multiplayer bit is complete bullshit. They should have to face some sort of punishment for the false advertising on that one. Nothing but lies to try and rope more people into buying the game under false assumptions.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-14 at 06:41 AM.