Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    I thought the observable universe would be shrinking (as galaxies will drop out of it) - but the size of the observable universe would be expanding (as in the farthest galaxy being a larger distance from us).
    The size will shrink aswell. As the acceleration of the universe's expansion increases, the "edge" will come closer and closer to us.

If I hold my hands together and then release them in opposite directions my hands aren't traveling at twice the "speed-of-hands". Only the space between them is, and space can travel as fast as it wants.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    If movement is relative, then if you have one thing moving the speed of light one way, and another thing moving the speed of light the exact opposite way, than the truth is relativity means that nothing can go faster than TWICE the speed of light, since the gap between those two would be created at twice the speed of light.
    By that reasoning, whouldnt the fastest a human can run be the speed wich usain bolt and the 2nd fastest guy can run away from eachother?
    Should be start measuring the speed of a car by how fast the distance between it and a car moving in the opposite direction increases?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Tachyons?
    Just saying.
    Tachyons are only a theory and haven’t been observed.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

You know what I wonder? If there was a particle traveling so fast that it could cover the distance of the entire universe within a nano second, where would it be one nano second later?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    If I hold my hands together and then release them in opposite directions my hands aren't traveling at twice the "speed-of-hands". Only the space between them is, and space can travel as fast as it wants.
    lol good try but not exactly how it works. but your close, space does not move, BUT it can be compressed and expanded, and because compression and expansion are not movement they can happen at any rate. This is how Warp drives work, they compress and expand space at faster and faster rates allowing a ship to go faster than the speed of light with out ever actually moving an inch. this is because space is the thing " moving " as it is Compressed infront and Expanded behind the ship.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    lol good try but not exactly how it works. but your close, space does not move, BUT it can be compressed and expanded, and because compression and expansion are not movement they can happen at any rate. This is how Warp drives work, they compress and expand space at faster and faster rates allowing a ship to go faster than the speed of light with out ever actually moving an inch. this is because space is the thing " moving " as it is Compressed infront and Expanded behind the ship.
    I was trying to keep it simple.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Wrong.
    If you change the spin of a quantum entangled photon, it's twin will also change no matter their distance.
    The universe is a probabilistic simulator which renders reality according to known information. Check out the double slit experiment then delayed choice quantum eraser for more information.

Everything is rendered into reality, one plank length at a time based on ?
    Before that, it is simply a wave of potential.
    Last edited by mmocdfdf1a8f27; 2016-08-14 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Space itself can "go" faster than light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    Space itself can "go" faster than light.
    as I explained before space does not " move "so it has no speed; However it can Compress and Expand at any rate it wishes at compression and expansion are not movement.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    This sounds like it would have some sort of . . . effect . . . on an object's mass. Like . . . a Mass Effect . . .

But seriously though, isn't that how Mass Effect's spaceship technology was suppose to work?
    It is somewhat similar, but in Mass Effect it was possible due to peculiar properties of zero element that doesn't exist in our world (as far as we know), while this idea is about Higgs field which actually can be generated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    It sounds like you are talking about tachyonic fields commonly referred to simply as tachyons. Feinberg hypothesized that tachyon (particles) would naturally arise from the field and these particles would travel FTL. This hypothesis was disproven, but the tachyonic fields still remain a firm subject of modern physics.
    I think tachyonic fields are about imaginary masses, while these theories are about negative ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vexew View Post
    Wrong.
    If you change the spin of a quantum entangled photon, it's twin will also change no matter their distance.
    The universe is a probabilistic simulator which renders reality according to known information. Check out the double slit experiment then delayed choice quantum eraser for more information.
    The first one is true, but there's the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem for that.

DQCE depends on what setup you're using and what interpretation of QM you follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    If movement is relative, then if you have one thing moving the speed of light one way, and another thing moving the speed of light the exact opposite way, than the truth is relativity means that nothing can go faster than TWICE the speed of light, since the gap between those two would be created at twice the speed of light.
    Orienting them towards each other doesn't change their speed. Their speed is always relative to something not in motion.

One truth of science anyone who proclaims something is impossible is an idiot. Humans have barely begun to understand the universe so to decide now that it is impossible to go twice the speed of light is rather foolish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws View Post
    One truth of science anyone who proclaims something is impossible is an idiot. Humans have barely begun to understand the universe so to decide now that it is impossible to go twice the speed of light is rather foolish.
    Except when current physics says something is impossible, it's based on equations and highly accurate experimental models. It's completely unrelated to previous generations saying things like "it's impossible to fly", "it's impossible to go faster than the speed of sound", etc., and who got disproven later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    The size will shrink aswell. As the acceleration of the universe's expansion increases, the "edge" will come closer and closer to us.
    Do you have a reference for that?

As far as I understand the "size of observable universe" means the current distance to the furthest object we can currently observe, and it would seem that acceleration would move the objects further away from us (while there are fewer and things we can see). And: can the size of the observable universe in an expanding universe be smaller than the age of the universe (multiplied by c)?

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    that's no different then saying if you close your eyes time will slow down k
    It's unclear why you would even think they were equivalent at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daws View Post
    You're welcome to challenge the impossibility of human levitation by jumping off a building, if you really want to put your money where your mouth is. (Don't do this.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PepperedAngus View Post
    The first one is true, but there's the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem for that.

DQCE depends on what setup you're using and what interpretation of QM you follow.
    QM is so different from macro scale mechanics, i find it hard to get a grasp of what is possible and what is not tbh.
    I suppose it can be argured whatever what i said can be considered*movement* or not yes.
    Personally i find Bohm's theories the most plausable as their quite easy to grasp as opposed to all the multiverse, infinite timelines and the crazy amount of other theories.

Can't blame ppl for picking the bible tbh, this "#¤% is just to darn complex and consumes so much time when you could just enjoy your short life to its fullest.
    Last edited by mmocdfdf1a8f27; 2016-08-14 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    What if I'm on a bus moving at the speed of light, and my friend is on another bus moving at the speed of light in the opposite direction, and we each walk to the front of the bus?

Boom! Got ya.
    If you're going the speed of light "moving forward" is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    What if I'm on a bus moving at the speed of light, and my friend is on another bus moving at the speed of light in the opposite direction, and we each walk to the front of the bus?

Boom! Got ya.
    its impossible because you will never actually reach the speed of light, as you go faster your mass increases requiring more energy to move you but to reach 100% light speed your mass would be infinite requiring infinite energy. this is why anything with mass can never actually reach the speed of light.

and that makes your Boom a dud. but nice try atleast you were thinking.