Budget £700ish
    Graphics card: Nvidia gtx 980ti
    Refresh rate: 144hz

Currently trying to decide between
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predat...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    and
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PG279Q-27-i...ct_top?ie=UTF8

any advice?
    Last edited by -Skye; 2016-08-14 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    I recently got the predator you link to and i highly recommrnd it.

Both seem to have had quality control issues so i may have gotten lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I recently got the predator you link to and i highly recommrnd it.

Both seem to have had quality control issues so i may have gotten lucky.
    Any light bleed? Do you notice the difference between 60 and 144 significantly?
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    Yes i think its very noticable even in wow.

Maybe order from amaxon. If you dont like it send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    Any light bleed? Do you notice the difference between 60 and 144 significantly?
    Wont be a significant difference between 60 and 144Hz, G-Sync on the other hand will be noticable.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Yes i think its very noticable even in wow.

Maybe order from amaxon. If you dont like it send it back.
    You can't just send it back because you don't like if it if it has been opened can you? I tried to find a local store that had 144hz monitors on display and the ability to use them but I couldn't find any.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can't just send it back because you don't like if it if it has been opened can you? I tried to find a local store that had 144hz monitors on display and the ability to use them but I couldn't find any.
    Well... yeah.

Here's their policy. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...odeId=1161002#

Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    As well as your statutory cancellation rights described above, you can return most products from the Amazon sites to Amazon within 30 days of receipt of the products if the products are complete and are in an unused and undamaged condition. To return an item please visit our Returns Support Centre.

unused?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    As well as your statutory cancellation rights described above, you can return most products from the Amazon sites to Amazon within 30 days of receipt of the products if the products are complete and are in an unused and undamaged condition. To return an item please visit our Returns Support Centre.

unused?
    I wouldn't worry about "unused". I'd focus more on the Statutory Rights. Those are the ones that Amazon has no control over. They are the laws of the land. You're given 14 days from when you receive it to send it back for any reason, open or unopened. Believe me, you'll know within a day or two if you don't like a monitor. Just make sure you test it in daylight, interior light, and as dark as possible.

But just in case, Amazon is pretty great at taking things back within that 30 day window. And, yes, it's fine if they are opened.

Deleted
    Distance selling regs are country specific so double check before ordering.

I was very lucky to get one with no back light bleed no dead pixels or trapped hair and dust. It does have some limited ips glow but i need to turn off lights at night and avtively search for it.

Why would you want 165hz monitor if you want only 144hz?

This model differs only in refresh rate (144hz exactly) and costs 150 less :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PG278Q-Wide...eywords=pg278q
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Why would you want 165hz monitor if you want only 144hz?

This model differs only in refresh rate (144hz exactly) and costs 150 less :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PG278Q-Wide...eywords=pg278q
    PG278Q is a TN panel, PG279Q is an IPS panel.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    You don't really need that expensive monitor yet, a 144hz 24''/27'' monitor will be enough for gaming with a 980 Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxum View Post
    You don't really need that expensive monitor yet, a 144hz 24''/27'' monitor will be enough for gaming with a 980 Ti.
    I want an IPS panel though

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    I wouldn't worry about "unused". I'd focus more on the Statutory Rights. Those are the ones that Amazon has no control over. They are the laws of the land. You're given 14 days from when you receive it to send it back for any reason, open or unopened. Believe me, you'll know within a day or two if you don't like a monitor. Just make sure you test it in daylight, interior light, and as dark as possible.

But just in case, Amazon is pretty great at taking things back within that 30 day window. And, yes, it's fine if they are opened.
    Thanks a lot ! I'll probably order the predator sometime soon and give it a shot. I've exhausted every local and major PC store to find any that can show a 144hz monitor in action and none of them can (or will). It's times like this I wish I had friends, ha

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Why?

/10 char
    Because I prefer the colors of an IPS monitor. I currently have an older IPS monitor for gaming and a regular TN one for browsing and the difference is astonishing. I like the brighter colors
    Last edited by -Skye; 2016-08-15 at 07:12 PM.

Because I prefer the colors of an IPS monitor. I currently have an older IPS monitor for gaming and a regular TN one for browsing and the difference is astonishing. I like the brighter colors
    But have you looked at the VA Panels? Kind of the best of both worlds. Better colors and viewing angles than TN(though not as good as IPS) and Faster than IPS(Though not as fast as TN). @Remilia or @Artorius would be able to give better info than me on that though.

But have you looked at the VA Panels? Kind of the best of both worlds. Better colors and viewing angles than TN(though not as good as IPS) and Faster than IPS(Though not as fast as TN). @Remilia or @Artorius would be able to give better info than me on that though.
    VA panels have much lower refresh rate. Most 144Hz monitors use either TN or IPS due to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually pixel response is the slowest of all panels. And for people to that confuse them, pixel response not total lag are not the same thing. Pixel response being the transition from color to color, not the signal processing to go along with that.
    It's not so much it has better color, it has better contrast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    VA panels have much lower refresh rate. Most 144Hz monitors use either TN or IPS due to that.
    No, VAs have 120Hz and 144Hz, BenQ's X35 / Acer's Z35 and Eizo's FG2421. VAs just aren't popular in the monitor space for whatever reason.

Panel type: IPS
    Budget £700ish
    Graphics card: Nvidia gtx 980ti
    Refresh rate: 144hz

Currently trying to decide between
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predat...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    and
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PG279Q-27-i...ct_top?ie=UTF8

any advice?
    My girlfriend is using our PG279Q right now. Really a beauty, picture reproduction is great. She doesn't complain about any particularly bad light bleed. I think you will enjoy the g-sync more than you will the 144 Hz but it really depends if your rig can push the FPS to begin with.

I think the Acer is basically the same panel as the Asus. One thing Asus does well on these newer models is the little jogdial controller for the OSD. Even since my original CRT, monitors consistently have had the worst UIs to configure them. The Asus ones are so convenient to use with the jogdial.