Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    History and simple economics is kool-aid now? That's when you know youve chosen to be anti-reality: You start defining facts as kool-aid.
    What facts? You're not condemned to live in poverty just because you were into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I think people acquire the kind of cognitive dissonance that makes them see it as awesome to start a war over tax rates on rich people, but deplorable to react violently to hundreds of years of oppression.
    Um.... are you really dense enough to believe it was all over a tax? The problem was taxation without representation. At the time they were being taxed and following laws created by a government body across the ocean. Are you kidding me? How the hell did you get to the founding fathers from a criminal with a gun being shot down. Police can not just allow an armed suspect to run the fuck away. You people are the same ones that would be yelling foul at the same cops had they let the asshole run away and he ended up killing someone or taking people hostage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    I was dirt poor when I lived in the US and nobody stole anything from us. I made my life better despite that. How about they do the same?
    Good idea, maybe we should give them the opportunity to instead of continuing to refuse them that opportunity, and using the status we foisted upon them as an excuse to deny them that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Good idea, maybe we should give them the opportunity to instead of continuing to refuse them that opportunity, and using the status we foisted upon them as an excuse to deny them that.
    They already have the opportunity to.

What facts? You're not condemned to live in poverty just because you were into it.
    If there are 1000 rich people and 1000 poor people, and all of them have children, whose children are going to do better? Do you actually believe the answer is that they will all turn out the same?

- - - Updated - - -

They already have the opportunity to.
    Right, kids from broken families, who go to shitty underfunded schools, who are discriminated against in employment, banking, and housing have alllll the opportunities in the world.

Little do they know, they are only justifying the harsher scrutiny upon themselves which will eventually lead to another shooting from over cautious cops and the circle starts all over again.

If there are 1000 rich people and 1000 poor people, and all of them have children, whose children are going to do better? Do you actually believe the answer is that they will all turn out the same?

- - - Updated - - -

Right, kids from broken families, who go to shitty underfunded schools, who are discriminated against in employment, banking, and housing have alllll the opportunities in the world.
    Could the poor just not have children? They are the authors of their own misery why should we care?

7+ Year Old Account
    I was dirt poor when I was a kid and now I'm living a decent life, there's nothing stopping others from doing the same except motivation/will.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaede View Post
    Um.... are you really dense enough to believe it was all over a tax? The problem was taxation without representation. At the time they were being taxed and following laws created by a government body across the ocean. Are you kidding me? How the hell did you get to the founding fathers from a criminal with a gun being shot down. Police can not just allow an armed suspect to run the fuck away. You people are the same ones that would be yelling foul at the same cops had they let the asshole run away and he ended up killing someone or taking people hostage.
    I don't think the cops did anything wrong, provided the official story ends up checking out. I'm just not dumb enough to be shocked that people who our "authorities" have abused for hundreds of years no longer trust authority.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Could the poor just not have children? They are the authors of their own misery why should we care?
    How is a poor child the author of their own misery?

- - - Updated - - -

I was dirt poor when I was a kid and now I'm living a decent life, there's nothing stopping others from doing the same except motivation/will.
    Notice how you didn't answer my question?

I grew up poor and I did exceptionally well for myself. The difference between you and I is I recognize the social constructs and luck that helped me do it. I don't pretend it's because I'm some kind of genius.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Little do they know, they are only justifying the harsher scrutiny upon themselves which will eventually lead to another shooting from over cautious cops and the circle starts all over again.
    That's right, but it's always on those with the power to break these cycles.

7+ Year Old Account

I grew up poor and I did exceptionally well for myself. The difference between you and I is I recognize the social constructs and luck that helped me do it. I don't pretend it's because I'm some kind of genius.
    There was no social construct or luck that helped me to do it. It was hard work over several years.

There was no social construct or luck that helped me to do it. It was hard work over several years.
    If you think luck had nothing to do with being successful, you are delusional, plain and simple. You actually believe your life would have turned out the same way if you were randomly struck by a car and suffered brain damage? A lack of unfortunate circumstances happening to you IS LUCK, not just wonderful things randomly happening to you.

The idea that no social constructs helped you is also delusional. You never attended a publicly funded school? Get real.

I don't think the cops did anything wrong, provided the official story ends up checking out. I'm just not dumb enough to be shocked that people who our "authorities" have abused for hundreds of years no longer trust authority.

- - - Updated - - -

How is a poor child the author of their own misery?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

That's right, but it's always on those with the power to break these cycles.
    We pretending the parents are faultless here are we?

Honestly if we abolished wel-fare this problem would solve itself in a few years.

- - - Updated - - -

If you think luck had nothing to do with being successful, you are delusional, plain and simple. You actually believe your life would have turned out the same way if you were randomly struck by a car and suffered brain damage? A lack of unfortunate circumstances happening to you IS LUCK, not just wonderful things randomly happening to you.

The idea that no social constructs helped you is also delusional. You never attended a publicly funded school? Get real.
    Nothing in nature is equal. Trying to make it so is a waste of effort.

We pretending the parents are faultless here are we?

Honestly if we abolished wel-fare this problem would solve itself in a few years.
    Then why is social mobility better in countries with stronger social safety nets, and worse in countries with poor social safety nets?

You need to make up your mind. You told me poor children are the architects of their own misery, but now you are blaming their parents. Which is it? This is incoherent.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's not luck. You're statistically more likely to die in your own home than getting struck by a car and it's not luck that I'm not dying every day.

It was not luck that sent me to another part of the world to make myself a better life. It was my own hard work.

You just said the public schools are underfunded yourself. How will you have it?

Nothing in nature is equal. Trying to make it so is a waste of effort.
    First of all: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-nature

Second of all, if you want to pretend that being born in Somalia and being born in a functional, wealthy first world nation is all the same, you are welcome to that delusion, but there is not a country in the world you would move to that didn't have a basic, government-provided infrastructure that at the very least protected citizens EQUALLY under the law, so get fucking real.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Even if specific cases are justified shootings there's still evidence that black communities are disproportionately policed in both DOJ reports of both Ferguson and Baltimore. Here's a snippet from th Baltimore report.

The investigation was spurred by the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man whose spine was severed in the back of a police van last April. In its 164-page report, the DOJ wrote that "BPD makes stops, searches and arrests without the required justification; uses enforcement strategies that unlawfully subject African Americans to disproportionate rates of stops, searches and arrests; uses excessive force; and retaliates against individuals for their constitutionally-protected expression."

If white communities in Texas were treated this way they'd be doing much worse than the riots we're seeing today.
    Policemen police where the crime usually happens. News at 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Then why is social mobility better in countries with stronger social safety nets, and worse in countries with poor social safety nets?

You need to make up your mind. You told me poor children are the architects of their own misery, but now you are blaming their parents. Which is it? This is incoherent.
    I didn't say what you are claiming I did. I would also like to know these countries by name...

That's not luck. You're statistically more likely to die in your own home than getting struck by a car and it's not luck that I'm not dying every day.
    No, that's luck. Not having something shitty happen to you at the wrong time is luck. I have a good friend who was halfway through college when his car broke down and he had to drop out of school. That single event set his life back five years because of how long it took to correct the damage caused by it. You are delusional, and possibly a narcissist, if you think luck has nothing to do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't say what you are claiming I did. I would also like to know these countries by name...
    http://www.epi.org/publication/usa-l...ries-mobility/

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    I can tell you what's not reasonable, burning down other peoples proberty.

Are they going to do this everytime a black dude gets gunned downed?
    Only if it's by a white dude. If they do this every time a black dude kills another black dude then we'd have no buildings left standing.

You just said the public schools are underfunded yourself. How will you have it?
    I'd fund the schools properly and relatively equally per student.