Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why are so many assuming N'zoth will be star of his own xpac?

One thing I don't fully understand is why people, when theorizing where the story of Warcraft will take us, it's assumed N'zoth will be his own xpac?

Both C'thun and Yogg-Saron were mid-xpac bosses. Y'shaarj was always only in the background or as an assistant to Garrosh. So we see all the previous examples they were never an entire focus of the story. Particularly Yogg-Saron.*

While he was the primary instigator and power behind Deathwing in Cata, N'zoth was a very minor role overall. "Old Gods" in general was the primary enemy, N'zoth almost never referenced.

While there's a lot of foreshadowing of N'zoth, and arguably has built up even more with Legion, I just don't see anything that even strongly hints at him getting his own xpac. And IMO especially true based on what we know from the Chronicles. The addition of Void Lords and possibility of creation of more Old Gods certainly fixes the issue of N'zoth being final Old God/void enemy. Now he can be killed without that storyline ending.

Do I think N'zoth will be killed in Legion? I think there's a very good chance but I'd still put Helya and Sylvanas/Genn plotline as most likely to be the mid xpac "side story".

*Yogg-Saron is the most interesting and relevant example because it was an xpac created entirely around Arthas. Not the Old Gods. He'd be the most direct example they could fit N'zoth in almost anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

I feel like an expac where we're fighting with the shadow to try and birth Azeroth in our image is likely and it needs a figurehead for the shadow.

Because he got a hearthstone card, and the other three have already shown up

Quote Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
    I feel like an expac where we're fighting with the shadow to try and birth Azeroth in our image is likely and it needs a figurehead for the shadow.
    Wouldn't Azeroth being awakened mean we all die horribly? I don't think that's something we want to actively pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Wouldn't Azeroth being awakened mean we all die horribly? I don't think that's something we want to actively pursue.
    Do we know precisely what happens when a Titan is born? Does the planet disappear or does the titan just uh...come out of the core?

probably because they haven't done one focused on an old god.. oh wait.

didn't the old gods come about as a boss filler story.. invented to give players a goal to defeat in yet another outing. They made it really big though. This would be too much though, I think he should be a patch like the others were, was he the most powerful of the 3?

Do we know precisely what happens when a Titan is born? Does the planet disappear or does the titan just uh...come out of the core?
    I'm not sure if it matters a whole lot. Dead is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    Because he got a hearthstone card, and the other three have already shown up
    But what does that have to do with him being the next LK, Deathwing or Garrosh? While built up a lot, Yogg still was "just" a mid xpac boss. So what's stopping that from being N'zoth this time?
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Deleted
    The thing with yogg saron is that in wc3 in the mission with anu'barak it was revealed that in northrend there is some kind of old god influence.

To the part with nzoth: i personaly don't think he will get an own expansion but rather have a role like guldan and garrosh in the previous expansions. And that nzoth if introduced at all in legion will be the boss of a later revealed raid (kinda like sunwell)
    “oh we killed gudan but what is that thing coming out of the water? let's kill it“ and this leads to the void lords and SPOILER to the end of the anduin comic

N`zoth will be the first unshackled/unimprisoned old god we've ever encountered. That's more than threatening enough on its own, add in Azshara and all the naga and that's more than enough for an entire expac. Also, if you've seen the leak of legion's story...

spoiler

We fight a losing battle in the final raid and N`zoth and his minions do our job for us beating back the legion while we use up all the power in our artifacts to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    probably because they haven't done one focused on an old god.. oh wait.

didn't the old gods come about as a boss filler story.. invented to give players a goal to defeat in yet another outing. They made it really big though. This would be too much though, I think he should be a patch like the others were, was he the most powerful of the 3?
    Which expansion was centered around an old god?

See, if they do that id think it emphasizes more on the Void Gods now. They gave us a new hierarchy of the Old Gods story.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's hope that we'd get some Old God lore and goodies from a whole expansion based on him.
    The assumption comes from hope.

Because blizzard is running out of marketable villains. So much they had to make WoD to bring Gul'dan and Archimonde back.

I dont think they will repeat the mistakes made in tbc, where they burned a lot of characters who could have had much bigger roles in the game. They're already killing Guldan and Xavius in legion, possibly Kiljaeden last boss.

Who's left? Troll king, Azshara, Nzoth, Sargeras, and the newly made up void lords.
    Last edited by Ulfric Trumpcloak; 2016-08-15 at 02:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    While he was the primary instigator and power behind Deathwing in Cata, N'zoth was a very minor role overall. "Old Gods" in general was the primary enemy, N'zoth almost never referenced.
    Metzen and Afrasiabi directly stated N'Zoth was behind Deathwing.

He brings nothing special to the table for an expac imo. Black flight in classic and cata. Elements in classic and cata. Twilight's Hammer in classic and cata. Nightmare zone, dungeon and raid in Legion. I'm not sure why people want another old god centric expac with N'zoth as the focus when that's the type of minions he would use. All that's left is Azshara and her naga and she will probably be the final boss for them.

He will probably be a patch boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Destructus View Post
    N`zoth will be the first unshackled/unimprisoned old god we've ever encountered. That's more than threatening enough on its own, add in Azshara and all the naga and that's more than enough for an entire expac. Also, if you've seen the leak of legion's story...

spoiler

We fight a losing battle in the final raid and N`zoth and his minions do our job for us beating back the legion while we use up all the power in our artifacts to escape.
    where did you find this out? im curious
    Perhaps it is your imperfection that which grants you free will. That allows you to persevere against cosmically calculated odds. You prevailed where the Titans' own perfect creations have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Neonfrogs View Post
    The thing with yogg saron is that in wc3 in the mission with anu'barak it was revealed that in northrend there is some kind of old god influence.

To the part with nzoth: i personaly don't think he will get an own expansion but rather have a role like guldan and garrosh in the previous expansions. And that nzoth if introduced at all in legion will be the boss of a later revealed raid (kinda like sunwell)
    “oh we killed gudan but what is that thing coming out of the water? let's kill it“ and this leads to the void lords and SPOILER to the end of the anduin comic
    I'm 99% sure they've said Sunwell was planned from the beginning.

While there's a very low amount of examples to draw from, they've been pretty consistent with how the xpac story flows. 1st and last tier extremely related. Mid less related/different theme.

Wrath was about the scourge at launch and ICC and ToC. Ulduar had almost zero involved with them.

Cata, Firelands had almost no shadow/void/direct Old God influence with it.

MoP, Lei Shen had extremely little related to sha as SoO and HoF/Terrace did.

So while somewhat off topic, I'd be quite surprised if the final tier of Legion doesn't involve demons. Mid tier I expect to not involve demons or maybe tiny amount.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Which expansion was centered around an old god?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Y'shaarj was always only in the background or as an assistant to Garrosh.
    I would say quite the opposite. Y'shaarj was the main villain of the expansion. All the history of Pandaria was about Y'shaarj. You meet fragments of him ever since few couple of minutes you step a foot onto Pandaria. Then you fight 6 manifestations of him in quest chains, dungeons, world boss and raids. In the final raid you get 7th manifestation plus the old god itself parasiting on Garrosh.
    Last edited by Bumbac; 2016-08-15 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Metzen and Afrasiabi directly stated N'Zoth was behind Deathwing.
    Lore wise yes, Ingame? Idk if his name was even mentioned until Dragon Soul. Cata was a general "Old God" xpac (idk if they had locked down on only 4 OGs by then?) and Deathwing.

He might've been behind it, but it was all about Deathwing and his minions.

For instance in Uldum the Lord of the South Wind said to accept Deathwing's gift. It was all about him even if he was just a puppet.
    Last edited by Krazzorx; 2016-08-15 at 02:43 AM.